IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ralph Potter
11/26/14, 12:24 AM   #1
Ralph Potter
DAD

According to a post on Dave Darland's face book page Ralph Potter has passed away.

Ralph was a true innovator in racing. Starting his career in racing back in the 50's while working for his father who owned a speed shop in Indianapolis. One of his first experiences in racing was running for land speed records at the Bonneville salt flats with his friend Mickey Thompson . In those years he was better known as "Sonny" Potter being a Jr. He returned to Indy and opened one of the first Muffler Shops in the United states. For recognition Ralph installed a giant statue in front of his 16th street store. He named him "Mr. Bendo" and Mr Bendo became a nationally known Hero in his own right. To keep his crew busy in the winter Ralph began building and racing Quarter Midgets. He was the East Coast distributor for Frank Kurtis Quarter Midgets. When Frank got out of the Quarter Midget Business Ralph took on the brand and began developing Quarter Midgets of his own design. It would be impossible to count the number of great race car drivers that started their career either in racing a Kurtis Quarter Midget built by Ralph or as one of his house car drivers a very prestigious position for a young kid .

One of his more ingenious designs for Quarter Midgets was a car he called "Sidewinder" He placed the motor to the left of the driver and had a special gear box designed to work with the car. This was in the early 1960's and way ahead of the curve. QMA the sanctioning body for Quarter Midgets did not know how to respond to such a race car. For several years the Sidewinder was the class of the field. It was eventually banned because there was no way to get the fuel to travel left to the carburetor from the tale of the car. At the time pumper carburetors were available but the rule makers felt that they were fuel injection and disallowed them.

Looking back Ralph's "Sidewinder" was the fore-bearer to the Modern 600cc Micro Sprint of today. As his boys got older Ralph began building Full Midgets of his own design and racing them at Kitley Ave. Speedroom and was very successful with his sons as drivers. As time went by his Muffler Business continued to grow and Ralph opened shops for his sons to operate for him. Their lives also went on and they retired from driving. They did however still help Ralph race his Midgets.

Some of the many drivers to race for Ralph Besides his sons Tracy, Bryan, Kevin, and David were Dave Darland, Tony Elliot, Poncho Carter, Sleepy Tripp, Ed Carpenter, Dave Blaney (who Won the Chili Bowl for Ralph), Johny Heidenreich, Sammy Swindell, Steve Kinser, Mike Bliss, Tracey Hines and Tony Stewart who won his first USAC Midget Championships driving one of Ralphs #6 Midgets powered by a potent "Potter V6" Chevy motor that Ralph designed from the ground up to become the motor to beat in USAC Midget racing. When rules were made to take the advantage away from the mighty little V6 Ralph slowed down a little and designed and built a Silver Crown car with help from frend John Godfrey and campaigned it for several years winning a hundred mile race at Knoxville Iowa with Jay Drake as his driver. Ralph's younger son Kurtis went on to become a championship Go Kart racer in Indiana.

Ralph was a Racers Racer. He had friends all through the racing Industry and helped many many racers either starting out or moving up and on. I am proud to have called Ralph a friend, I can't count all the things he did for me through out the years or things he taught me on how to be successful in business as well as in life. He was a man of few words to the point of being considered quite. He never was one to brag of his accomplishments or put on airs, he was sure of himself and did not feel compelled to have to impress anyone. When Ralph was at a race track however everyone knew he was there.

I Truly will miss Ralph Potter and I know there are many others that feel the same way.

Rest in Peace Ralph, you leave behind a great legacy.

Bill Jones
Last edited by DAD; 11/30/14 at 3:40 PM.

11/26/14, 8:47 AM   #2
Re: Ralph Potter
Pat O'Connor Fan

Godspeed, Mr. Potter

11/26/14, 8:50 AM   #3
interpreter66

rest in peace ralph

(wonder what ever happened to the sidewinder ? )

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/26/14, 8:53 AM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Guess I'll drive home via 16th St. and give Mr. Bendo a salute; I never met Ralph but I sure recognize and appreciate his contributions to our sport.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: Corky#55, DAD
11/26/14, 9:15 AM   #5
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
rest in peace ralph

(wonder what ever happened to the sidewinder ? )
Interpreter

Here is a picture of a Sidewinder. They were beautiful race cars years ahead of their time, I am sure most still survive in the hands of collectors. Perhaps the most famous one was driven by Charlie Workman and was featured in an article in Rod & Custom Magazine back in the 60's.

http://vintagequartermidgetcompany.b...post_5359.html

Bill Jones
Last edited by DAD; 11/26/14 at 9:28 AM.

11/26/14, 1:37 PM   #6
TQ29m

RIP Ralph, seems like your muffler shop was always my first stop after yet another hot rod, or cruiser, those steel packs were awesome, also a big factor in shall we say unusual midget motors. Another well known character has passed from us. Thanks for the time spent here, educating us young guys! Bob

3 members like this post: Corky#55, DAD, Racer_dude35
11/26/14, 8:25 PM   #7
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Always enjoyed seeing the blue #6 pull into the race track. Ralph will sorely me missed and may he rest in peace. God Bless his family in their time of sorrow.

1 member likes this post: Corky#55
11/26/14, 9:18 PM   #8
Avon Open Wheel fan

Ralph Potter

81, of Avon passed away November 24, 2014.

Ralph was the owner of Ralph’s Muffler Shops in Indianapolis. He was also an engine and chassis builder and Midget and Champ car owner and a two time USAC National Champion. He was a member Mystic Tie Masonic Lodge and Murat Shrine and served in the U.S. Navy Reserve.

He is survived by his wife, Betsy Potter; children, Tracy (Nancy) Potter, Bryan (LuAnn) Potter, Kevin (Marisa) Potter, David Potter, Kurtis (Helina) Potter, Chrissy (Jamal) Shah, and Charles (Nikki) Potter; sister, Carolyn Kautz; numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Funeral service will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday December 2, 2014 at Conkle Funeral Home Speedway Chapel with visitation from 4 p.m. until time of service.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/26/14, 10:30 PM   #9
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

So sad to hear this news. I had many encounters with Mr. Potter in my early years working for USAC. He was always a gentleman and I respected his drive for beating the best with his own designs. Thank you Ralph for the memories.

2 members like this post: DAD, tirespinner
11/27/14, 10:09 AM   #10
Corky#55

Hey Bill, do you know who this is by my user name? Yes, very sad he was a great man and such a father figure to those of us from Team Kurtis 1/4 midgets. As I said on Kurtie's FB page, I traveled many miles and have many more memories and was practically a Potter myself to the effect that I remember Ken Rice asking me in Huntsville where my "old man" was. Matter of fact I just told the wife how we all (including you) went snow tubing at Coffin golf course. Things just didn't happen on the track with that family! Once again on Kurtie's fb page I lamented that he was a big part of making me a national champion. The first of Team Kurtis I think, in the first "sidewinder". But, I do like how Pat Streicher put it " he made a kid feel good about himself". Or herself. This is going to be a tough one, it's kind of like losing my dad again. They spent so much time together when I was young practically joined at the hip. So much so that I can still smell the garage on 20th street house. Look forward to seeing you old friend even under such sad circumstances.
Corky

2 members like this post: DAD, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ralph Potter