IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Indiana Sprint week help
5/27/09, 10:06 PM   #1
USAC Indiana Sprint week help
ryan84

I am going to pick up the sprint week starting with Terre Haute and finishing up with Haubstadt. I have only been to the sprint week at Haubstadt. My question is should I go ahead and get reserved seats now or get them at the track? Also any ideas on good places to stay between the Terre Haute and Boswell, between Boswell and Bloomington, and Bloomington and Haubstadt. Thanks in advance.

5/27/09, 10:34 PM   #2
Re: USAC Indiana Sprint week help
stephen

There's always plenty of tickets available on race day at all the tracks I've been to during sprintweek. It will help if you can arrive at the tracks early enough on race day to put a blanket down so you can get a good seat, that's what we always do. I'm always scared to pre-order tickets, because if it rains and the race is cancelled, well you know the rest, rain and dirt tracks don't mix too well. Last year when we went to Boswell, we stayed in Danville, IL, which is just across the state line about 3-4 miles . There are several motels at the first exit, just off of I-74. When we go to Bloomington, we stay in just south of Bloomington in Bedford, there are several motels there too. Also all kinds of motels in Terre Haute close to the race track, and several motels just south of Haubstadt at the I-64 exchange.

5/27/09, 10:55 PM   #3
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan84 View Post
I am going to pick up the sprint week starting with Terre Haute and finishing up with Haubstadt. I have only been to the sprint week at Haubstadt. My question is should I go ahead and get reserved seats now or get them at the track? Also any ideas on good places to stay between the Terre Haute and Boswell, between Boswell and Bloomington, and Bloomington and Haubstadt. Thanks in advance.
Just an opinion on Haubstadt!!......Resv. seats now if you want a good seat on pit enter side enter'n from turn 4 to turn one!!they go fast to season tic holders....thats the side where the sun sets behind you,not in ur eyes!!.......

5/27/09, 11:23 PM   #4
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan84 View Post
In my opinion, come feature time when the lights are on and the background is dark, up high on the backstretch at Haubstadt is the best seat in sprint racing. Plus, during daylight the sun is not in your face, as you're facing East. Since a lot of people go to the Sprint Week race and the entire upper sections are reserved, getting a reserved seat is the only way to go. Terre Haute is similar in that the only way you can guarantee that you'll be where you want to be is to buy yourself a reserved seat. I like being up high and towards the center of the track. One option is the east side of the open grandstand. Since there are no reserved seats in that grandstand, many of the seats towards the top get marked off with blankets or tape. Getting reserved tickets in Sections A or B guarantees you'll have a pretty good view of the whole track. But, that's just what I usually do. Many sit in the open grandstand.

Stephen pretty much covered all you need to know on your hotel options.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 5/27/09 at 11:25 PM.

5/27/09, 11:50 PM   #5
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

1. Call Haubstadt right now for reserved seat(s).
2. I stay in the Wyndham hotels family (Super 8, Travelodge, etc.) in Terre Haute. Excellent breakfast (or lunch) at the Coffee Cup Family restaurant just north of Interstate 70 on Route 41 in Terre Haute (right next to IHOP).
3. I think the nearest to Boswell is Lafayette/West Lafayette, unless someone on here knows a friendly farmer. I still remember driving from Boswell to Kokomo after the first IMW race. Really dark most of the way.
4. I am guessing that you could save some money if you drove south on Route 37 after the races in Bloomington to Bedford. I think there are at least 2, if not more, motels there. And my favorite road to Haubstadt is at Bedford,
U. S. Route 50. It is very pretty, but also curvy and up and down hills. Depends on whether you like that sort of thing. Bloomington tends to have motel rooms which are a little higher than most places in Indiana, probably because it is a university town. Personally, I stay at the Motel 6 in Bloomington, but hesitate to recommend it because of the likelihood that you will have some sort of staff screw-up. I have some really good stories about my experiences there, but you have to have a tolerance for some adventure to stay there. Best price in Bloomington, however. If you get to Bloomington early enough, they have a bunch of good places to eat downtown, because the university is right next to that area. Want variety? How many places have not one, but two Tibetian restaurants. I can't think of names right now, but I know that some of this board's Bloomington members will have some suggestions.

Just south of Interstate 64, which is just south of Haubstadt, there is an excellent buffet on the left. I highly recommend it.

Frank Daigh

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Indiana Sprint week help