IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What track did you grow up going to?
7/2/13, 6:10 PM   #141
Re: What track(San Jose)did you grow up at???...
Sprintcarfanatic

Looking back at Limaland it doe's not look like they could even have cars park in the infield but that is where they parked. The light poles were in there also with mounds of dirt around them. The pond to water the track was off of what are now turns 3 & 4, Right in the Y part as you come in between the pit & general admission areas.
The funny thing is when some of the younger fans/college kids are out there I tell them, ya see where the UNOH hauler is parked & they say yeah, I tell them that is where the restrooms were & they were of the outhouse style & they say really !!!

7/2/13, 6:17 PM   #142
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
The funny thing is when some of the younger fans/college kids are out there I tell them, ya see where the UNOH hauler is parked & they say yeah, I tell them that is where the restrooms were & they were of the outhouse style & they say really !!!
If they want to see what that is like just send them to Oakshade.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: sc17x, VSneader2
7/2/13, 8:50 PM   #143
Re: What track did you grow up going to?
usa1bowtie

My first was Atomic Speedway south of Chillicothe Ohio in 1957. My Uncle was one of the original owners of the track, so I was at Atomic every Saturday night for most all of my young years. Now 56 years later, I attended my 110th track here in Kansas a few weeks back. A few of my favorites include Kokomo,the old Lawrenceburg,Plant Field,East Bay and Perris.

1 member likes this post: smith19
7/2/13, 11:25 PM   #144
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
If they want to see what that is like just send them to Oakshade.

Posted via Mobile Device
That's about right. Anyone know the last time they did any upgrades to the facility there?

7/4/13, 2:59 AM   #145
Sprintcarfanatic

Not since Jed, Elle Mae & the rest of the Clampett's moved to California.

2 members like this post: fish, VSneader2
7/4/13, 7:37 AM   #146
miledirt

Marion, Il. - Benton, Il. - DuQuoin

7/4/13, 9:18 AM   #147
mtcray

Lakehill Speedway, Valley Park, MO. (closed 1978), I-55 Speedway, Pevely, MO., Tri- City Speedway, Granite City, IL. Belle-Clair Speedway, Belleville, IL.

Mike Cray

1 member likes this post:
7/4/13, 2:52 PM   #148
Game Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by double checkered View Post
Dorney Park in Allentown, Pa. Track is long gone. It has been replaced by amusement park rides. My dad wrenched on a stock car. Neil Beech and my mom painted/lettered it. Craziest mix of colors I ever seen.......plum crazy purple with orange numbers. Number 26. He won a few features, but his wife Gloria was really tough in the powder puffs. I can remember the smells of fresh paint on opening night. 55-57 Chevys made up the "late model" class and old coupes bodied the sportsmans. It was the tiniest asphalt "oval". It was really a circle. During intermission my sister and I would run into the amusement park and ride rides. We would return when we heard the engines. If the races got boring we would turn the other way and feed the deer in the field popcorn. I can't remember my first race, but I know dorney was the first track for me.

Posted via Mobile Device

Oh the memories of this place... Was just a little kid but I loved it.. Still today remember the "Flying Farmer" Paul Baushcer.. the 67 late model of Dick Ruth, Tony Hirschman, Doug Hoffman..

D.P. was one, but my mainstay was the old Nazareth half mile dirt track with my father. Many times we stood on the big Hill (under the billboard) across from the track to watch the races for free... Loved that track.... The other one we visited frequently was Flemington Speedway in New Jersey...

Man I loved those days and the memories are fresh like it was yesterday...

7/4/13, 2:57 PM   #149
SPRINTCAR

Lawrenceburg Speedway Saturdays,
Northern Kentucky Speedway Fridays, now Florence Speedway. My Dad ran them both at the same time. Those were the days!

7/4/13, 5:00 PM   #150
Re: What track did you grow up going too?
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
In Massachusetts, Norwood Arena, Modifieds(coupes and coaches). Sprint cars, Reading.

Once we moved to Indiana it was IRP, then the USAC trail. Didn't really have a weekly track once we started running sprint cars. As it was called back then, It was the USAC traveling circus. Great times for a teenager though.A lifetime of memories.
what? you ran around drag strips.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What track did you grow up going to?