IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg 4/28 Who will be King of the Midwest?
4/24/18, 8:59 PM   #11
flagboy55

I love it when folks think Steve Kinser was good only with a wing. You may say that about Schatz, but Steve was as good as ever has been with or without the wing. I was lucky enough to see him race both ways as I'm sure many of you were too.

6 members like this post: Jbaldwin, jim goerge, Leohr46, motorhead748, oppweld, tirespinner
4/24/18, 9:03 PM   #12
Re: Lawrenceburg 4/28 Who will be King of the Midwest?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Hey, I was just talking about this coming weekends Lawrenceburg Race. Kokomo has a King of Kokomo race too. It has nothing to do with Kings Royal or who's the king of all sprint racing.

Steve won with and without, for the first couple three or four years the WoO was promotor's choice and he still won. Won the CRA race at eldora and a champ car race at eldora Non Winged both after not having driven NW for ten years. Left with a shoe box full of cash too from that CRA bounty race.

I don't know if CJ's running USAC full time or not. if so, he won't be at this years King of the Midwest as the USAC gang will be at Tri State. I think it's a increased purse, So it gives others a chance to run for a little more without several big teams to beat and I think it pays more on back too.

Go to a race, have fun!

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
4/25/18, 8:28 AM   #13
bsmith8

I’m no wing guy but 5 of the top 10 at the Mopar Million were wing guys up againsts the best non wing guys in the world. 3 of the top 5 were full time wing guys. Second place had never raced without a wing and was on Goodyear’s. On a side note glad to see the Burg have a nice payday. I would have loved to won King Of The Midwest and would have proudly wore the Crown and Cape.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, motorhead748, tirespinner
4/25/18, 10:28 AM   #14
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith8 View Post
I’m no wing guy but 5 of the top 10 at the Mopar Million were wing guys up againsts the best non wing guys in the world. 3 of the top 5 were full time wing guys. Second place had never raced without a wing and was on Goodyear’s. On a side note glad to see the Burg have a nice payday. I would have loved to won King Of The Midwest and would have proudly wore the Crown and Cape.

Two things to your statement, The winged guys that finished in the top ten in the Mopar Million had at least twice as many laps on Eldora than the NW guys. And. Eldora runs basically the same way either way. Straight and smooth, no binding. Not taking a thing away from their runs, just stating facts. Jac ran several NW races there, USAC, CRA. Stevie and Steve did impress me though, It was fun to watch. I talked with Dickie Gaines after the race at the Million and he was happy as a lark. Said if he'd of known his lane had slowed he'd of moved up. But it worked for him getting him from 15th to 1st before falling back to third.

BTW, He's the Defending King of the Midwest who came from a straight away back to pass multi time KISS champ and reigning King of the Midwest at that time Stanbrough.

See ya at the races!

2 members like this post: bsmith8, jim goerge
4/25/18, 11:05 AM   #15
BillyG

I'll say Tmez takes the crown this year

4/25/18, 11:29 AM   #16
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

As a younger fan (29 now), I never got to see Steve run without the wing. It was something I always wanted to see. I've definitely heard before how he was magic in about anything.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97, tirespinner
4/25/18, 11:55 AM   #17
Charles Nungester

4/25/18, 12:22 PM   #18
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdt636 View Post
You take his wing away I bet there are several drivers who could beat Kinser

I say Leary again this year
Toby I'm not trying to be a smarta## but King Steve did take the wing off and still whipped CRA at Eldora one year. Gotta remember Ol Steve and those guys started out without that napkin holder on top. Hope you"re doing well my friend

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, luckybuc97, tirespinner
4/25/18, 1:41 PM   #19
bsmith8

Trust me I was pulling for Dickie G that night.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, tirespinner, TNRustler
4/25/18, 7:44 PM   #20
tdt636

I was also too young to see him run without a wing and honestly didn't realize he did it that much. I stand corrected and didn't mean to stir the pot 😁

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, jim goerge, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg 4/28 Who will be King of the Midwest?