IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi Midgets - Jason Leffler Memorial at Wayne Ct?
8/27/13, 11:10 AM   #21
Re: POWRi Midgets - Jason Leffler Memorial at Wayne Ct?
Dwayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
Is there parking for RV'S ?
Bob The last time I was over there they had a large spectator parking lot where you could park campers between the road and the entrance. It's been a few years since I've been there though. Doug Springer posted on twitter about the race. He owns the track now.

Doug Stringer @racersauction .

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, mowerman
8/27/13, 11:13 AM   #22
Andrew S. Quinn

If you guys go over, save me a seat. I'll be heading that way after work tomorrow night.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/27/13, 11:40 AM   #23
SpfldMile

Does anyone know for sure about the track size? The website says 1/8th, but I've seen some things that say they are changing it for this race. I guess it doesn't matter, I'm going anyway. An 1/8th seems a little small, but it would be interesting. I hope a good crowd shows up despite the heat.

2 members like this post: racing2bwithu2, SETracing
8/27/13, 2:49 PM   #24
Finner18

I think this will be a great race and event for both racers and fans. As a competitor in the Micros at this track and also a race fan, I think it should be noted that there are not many seats in the bleachers at this track. There are about 5 or 6 rows of aluminum bleachers on the the front stretch. Track is very racy and fun and I am sure the turnout of cars will be great. Just thought I would pass along to first timers coming to Wayne County.

1 member likes this post: Thomas Finn
8/27/13, 3:02 PM   #25
luckybuc97

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner18 View Post
I think this will be a great race and event for both racers and fans. As a competitor in the Micros at this track and also a race fan, I think it should be noted that there are not many seats in the bleachers at this track. There are about 5 or 6 rows of aluminum bleachers on the the front stretch. Track is very racy and fun and I am sure the turnout of cars will be great. Just thought I would pass along to first timers coming to Wayne County.
I heard on the radio last week that they took a month off of racing to add more seating & to work on the track for this event, I am curious, is there a way to bring lawn chairs with a good view to the track?? Leaving @ 3:00 pm for the long 45 min. haul!

1 member likes this post: racenut69
8/27/13, 3:06 PM   #26
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner18 View Post
I was under the impression that the changes being made had more to do with increasing the seating capacity than doing anything with the length of the track; looking at the pictures and videos on the website, the track itself appears to be pretty roomy for an 8th mile, and the guardrails and catch fencing look to be above average for a track of its' size. I was hoping to make the trip from Indy but the midweek date has proven to be too big of an obstacle. Not complaining! It's just not gonna work for me. I understand the difficulty in the logistics of working a date into a packed Summer schedule. Hopefully, if the event proves to be a success it can become a fixture for the Midgets and find a suitable weekend date. I wish all the best for the Stringers, safe travels to everyone who's making the trip and Godspeed & great racing for the competitors.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 8/27/13 at 3:22 PM.

8/27/13, 4:06 PM   #27
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Just talked to Tina at the track. She said they are expecting a crowd of about 2,000. They have brought in more bleachers. From what I understand, the saddle club parking lot is about a quarter mile down the road. Looking forward to the race, but not the heat!

3 members like this post: bmemmer, luckybuc97, SETracing
8/27/13, 4:38 PM   #28
McCreeryMotorsports

I grew up racing micros there seating will definitely be an issue. I would get there early and a lawn chair is probably a good idea. I can't wait for Tomorow. My dads house is just 3 miles from the track, and it is bringing midget racing to a lot of new fans! See you all there
Daniel Robinson

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: bmemmer, luckybuc97, racing2bwithu2
8/27/13, 4:56 PM   #29
Finner18

That is great to hear about the extra bleachers. The new owners of the track have made great improvements this year since taking over and we have really enjoyed racing with them. They seem to really care about the track, it racers, and the fans. Looking forward to a fun night tomorrow

2 members like this post: racing2bwithu2, ronmil
8/27/13, 10:07 PM   #30
Andrew S. Quinn

The close championship battle between Zach Daum and Andrew Felker in the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series resumes Wednesday with the Jason Leffler Memorial at Wayne County (Ill.) Speedway and continues Saturday and Sunday with the 32nd annual Pepsi Midget Nationals at Angell Park Speedway in Sun Prairie, Wis.

Daum leads Felker, 2,900-2,780 with 11 events remaining on the 31-race schedule. The Pepsi Nationals are co-sanctioned by the Stark Automotive Group/Mid-State Equipment Badger Midget Series. Felker, a 20-year-old from Carl Junction, Mo., is also in the hunt for the Badger title, trailing Brad Kuhn of Avon, Ind., by 109 points, 1,256-1,147, going into the final two events of the season. A full program will be run both nights in the Pepsi Nationals, with a 30-lap feature Saturday and a 50-lap feature Sunday that pays $4,000 to the winner. Sunday also includes the 11th annual Dave Schulenberg Memorial Dash.

The Leffler Memorial pays $5,000 to win and is sponsored by Great Clips. It has been organized by Wayne County track owner Doug Stringer to honor Leffler, a long-time friend who died at 37 in a sprint car crash on June 12. Leffler was a former driver in NASCAR's Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series and a three-time USAC National Midget champion. Proceeds from the event will go to a fund for his five-year old son, Charlie Dean.

Three-time USAC National Driving champion Bryan Clauson, 2012 Honda USAC National Dirt champion Darren Hagen and 2000 USAC Silver Crown and 2002 USAC Sprint Car champion Tracy Hines have committed to the Leffler Memorial. Clauson of Noblesville, Ind., has three POWRi wins and Hagen two this season.

The 22-year-old Daum of Pocahontas, Ill., has driven his Toyota-powered Eagle to two victories, 11 top-fives and 15 top-10s this season. Felker, the 2012 POWRi National Midget champion, has one win, 11 top-fives and 17 top-10s in his Fontana-powered Spike. Both drivers have qualified for all 20-events this season, but Felker had mechanical problems on the grid in three and did not start.

Tyler Thomas of Collinsville, Okla., is third in the championship with 2,045 points. That's still mathematically within range of Daum and Felker, but the 17-year-old would have to make a jump in performance to challenge. Thomas has five top-fives and 10-top 10s this season.

POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series top-10 points standings (after 20 of 31 events): 1. Zach Daum 2,900, 2. Andrew Felker 2,780, 3. Tyler Thomas 2,045, 4. Brad Kuhn 1,900, 5. Austin Brown 1,895, 6. Jake Blackhurst 1,875, 7. Garrett Aitken 1,470, 8. Parker Price-Miller 1,465, 9. Terry Babb 1,035, 10. Colten Cottle 930.

POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series feature winners: Jacksonville, Ill.-Shane Cockrum; Belleville, Ill.-Chris Bell; Macon, Ill.-Brady Bacon; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Michael Pickens; Jacksonville, Ill.-Kyle Larson; Lincoln, Ill.-Michael Pickens; Macon, Ill.-Andrew Felker; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Rico Abreu; Bloomington, Ind.-Zach Daum; Belleville, Ill.-Darren Hagen; Belleville, Ill.-Bryan Clauson; Wilmot, Wis.-Brad Kuhn; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Darren Hagen; Pontoon Beach Ill.-Terry Babb; Cameron, Mo.-Austin Brown; Grain Valley, Mo.-Zach Daum; Belleville, Ill.-Bryan Clauson; Lincoln, Ill.-Rico Abreu; Macon, Ill.-Chris Bell; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Bryan Clauson.

POWRi Racing Sponsors

Auto Meter - "The Official Instrumentation" of POWRi Racing

Afco - "The Official Shock" of POWRi Racing

Ford - "The Official EcoBoost Challenge" of POWRi Racing

Hoosier Tire - "The Official Race Tire" of POWRi Racing

Impact Racing - "The Official Motorsports Safety Equipment" of POWRi Racing

Lucas Oil Products - "The Official Oil" of POWRi Racing

Speedway Motors - "The Official Performance Parts Store" of POWRi Racing

Team POWRi Racing

Advanced Racing Suspensions, Aggressive Graphics, Bell Helmets, BT Machine Inc., Butler Built Seats, Competition Suspension Inc., Edward Jones, Engler Machine & Tool Inc., Esslinger Engineering, Factor 1 Racing, Fontana Automotive, Hyper Racing, Kitchen Cooked, Leading Edge Composites, Millennium Components, MPD Racing, MoMo's Racing Engines, OSR Bikes & Motors, Purpose Wreckers, Race Bumpers.com, Racers for Christ, Rod End Supply, Schoenfeld Headers, Spike Chassis, Stanton Race Engines, SuperShox, The Engine Heater, Ti64, Total Power, TOYOTA, 600 Scene.com

For more information, go to www.POWRi.com.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, racegal
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi Midgets - Jason Leffler Memorial at Wayne Ct?