IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
11/23/07, 8:26 PM   #11
Re: Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
Rex W.

Id10T alert !!!

11/23/07, 8:46 PM   #12
aXe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex W. View Post
Id10T alert !!!

you were to late!
aXe

11/23/07, 9:13 PM   #13
Sprint63122

Sat to see what it has become but do not worry the follow the leader parade will happen again in two weeks when they are at orlando speedway to asphalt train racing at its best.

11/23/07, 10:32 PM   #14
Tim Clauson

Man I guess I just don't get it.....

While Darland checked out to a convincing and popular win the race from 3 through 10 was something to behold. There was more sliders thrown between Leffler, Kahne, Santo's, Wease, and Clauson then when someone snuck in White Castles to fat camp. Listening to the throngs of fans who converged to the pit area post race the feeling I got was this was one of the fiercest most hardcore pavement races they had witnessed. From my point a view there were those dressed in kahki's and polos and those dressed in jeans and racing shirts. The thing that sticks with me was the stands were full, the pits were full,and everyone I encountered seemed pretty excited the way they spent there turkey day and night. For those who looked past Darlands out front antics and back just few positions through the field I think they saw a glimpse of what USAC racing would be nightly if Nascar had not come a callin the Kahnes, Lefflers, Yeleys, and on and on. I also continue to be amazed how some of these guys can show up, some years removed from these cars and withen laps are right back in their element.

Tim

11/23/07, 11:06 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post

While Darland checked out to a convincing and popular win the race from 3 through 10 was something to behold. There was more sliders thrown between Leffler, Kahne, Santo's, Wease, and Clauson then when someone snuck in White Castles to fat camp. Listening to the throngs of fans who converged to the pit area post race the feeling I got was this was one of the fiercest most hardcore pavement races they had witnessed. From my point a view there were those dressed in kahki's and polos and those dressed in jeans and racing shirts. The thing that sticks with me was the stands were full, the pits were full,and everyone I encountered seemed pretty excited the way they spent there turkey day and night. For those who looked past Darlands out front antics and back just few positions through the field I think they saw a glimpse of what USAC racing would be nightly if Nascar had not come a callin the Kahnes, Lefflers, Yeleys, and on and on. I also continue to be amazed how some of these guys can show up, some years removed from these cars and withen laps are right back in their element.

Tim

Tim, I don't think you get what his meaning was. It's not the on track action. It's the foreign feeling of racing and race fans, These are not your SPRINT and Midget fans, but NASCAR who none would venture to any track without the name Stewart, Yeley attached to it.

Not all the fans there were there for Nascar but thats whats filling the stands. If it helps short track racing, then Im for it. But is it really?
Chuck

11/23/07, 11:22 PM   #16
dfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
That's a pretty adequate assessment.
People like Sean Buckley have been around the game for a long, long time. They know the deal. Jack Slash understands the ins and outs in ways that Tim Clauson never could and never will. That he has a forum to voice an opinion that's unpopular with the uninformed shouldn't be grounds to make him a target; it should make him a hero, a voice for the rest of us. Mission accomplished, in my book.
Keep telling the truth, Sean, in hopes that things cycle back around and we again see racers who live for the dirt and the glory, not just rich kids passing through.

11/24/07, 12:19 AM   #17
racefan20

Quote:
People like Sean Buckley have been around the game for a long, long time. They know the deal. Jack Slash understands the ins and outs in ways that Tim Clauson never could and never will.
You gotta be $h!ttin me!!!! Thats the dumbest statement I've heard on here in a long time.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

11/24/07, 12:33 AM   #18
aXe

I saw My first midget race in 1958, From then on I have heard from various sources year in and year out!!!, The big money guys ruin it, Its follow the leader. The fans are a bunch of cheese and cracker eaters. on and on over the years, You just have to tune the complainers out and hope they move on to something they enjoy more. As they seem very unhappy being at what they are complaining so much about about!
Every year I see some very good racing ever since that first one back in 58. Sure there are some stinkers and most of those imho are on the dirt, When it gets so dusty you cant hardly see them, or so dry and slick traction is just not there for any passing attempts! Sprinter shows are the worst at this. Not that the pavment doesnt throw up a stinker ever once in awhile also! But I still go. I dont get to go often enough but Every chance I get you will find me at the RACES. I am mostly a Midget fan but any races all are good most of the time.
You dont have any idea how many clubs and Tracks I have witnessed fall by the way side mainly because of complainers!!! Whats the old saying, Watch out for what you wish you just might get it!! Prime example San Jose speedway, A bunch of unhappy people thought they could do it better, The first round in the mid fifties was outlasted by that speedway. The second round brought about the shuttering of that great track and a few years later there is now "NO" racing in San Jose area at all!
aXe

11/24/07, 12:53 AM   #19
Kirk Spridgeon

I loved Turkey Night. The racing was about as good as any racing I've seen all year, especially on pavement. The people there made it even more of a great time for me. I love to see guys come in and just race, for the sole purpose of winning. Actually, I could hardly tell that Kahne and Stewart were there. Of course, I never went to the main grandstand and I didn't stand around watching their worshippers.

At the end of the day, the people who promote the race and put up the money take it to a place where they want it to be!! I only wish other places would step up in the same way!

In my opinion, complaining and complaining about this will get you nowhere. Go out and do something about it. Make your own race. Help to build the tradition of a race that you love. Why tear down one of the few events that still has meaning? I just can't believe that anybody would allow themselves to have such a miserable time at a RACE, of all places!!

My only complaint was the timing problem, but I forgot about that so quickly after the racing started, I had to wrack my brain just to come up with a gripe!! Can't wait for next year, which will bring another shot at winning the Fred Ercse Memorial!!

11/24/07, 9:21 AM   #20
Joe Kidd

I dare you to say Mike Hunt as fast as you can three times in a row. :action-smiley-049:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter