IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo
6/15/09, 11:51 AM   #81
Re: Kokomo
D.N.3

WOW, that feature was awesome!!! Congrats to BC! You can't ask for much more excitement then that.

6/15/09, 12:30 PM   #82
Brandon Watson

Any word on Ricky Erghott

6/15/09, 12:43 PM   #83
purvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Watson View Post
Any word on Ricky Erghott
I was told by USAC he was released from the hospital before racing was done last night.

6/15/09, 7:30 PM   #84
Jerry Shaw

As expected, Kokomo served up a great racing surface for the finale of Indiana Midget Week. As great as this series turned out to be, it deserved it. Early in the evening, in the second heat, BC sent what was an obvious message to Brad Kuhn, IMO. It was a loaded heat and Bryan made rather easy work of racing his way into second, thus being securely into a transfer position. By then Brad had a decent size lead. But you could tell by the way BC gassed it and set sail for the leader, that he wasn't going to settle for second in this one. And he didn't. He was getting such great forward bite in two and four that he made it look easier than it seemed like it might have been. And my intuition told me that the message sent was something down the lines of "Here I am" and "It's on".

The other highlight of the heats was in the first heat, watching Brent Beauchamp riding the fence line to the front, tangling with the wall, passing most of the field (in a tough heat) a second time and almost transferring. Fortunately he got in from the B-Main. God knows he had earned it. And he show it by racing tough and getting a respectable finish in the feature.

Come feature time, the track crew took a little extra time grooming the racing surface, but it was worth it. They set the stage the way a very important event deserves and the track was flawless. To start off with, shortly after the green flew, to make things more interesting, BC had some minor problem that caused him to drop from his 5th place starting position to 10th or 11th. From there he started picking em' up and setting em' down, one by one. And we're talking about guys that are the toughest anywhere and don't go down without a fight. The ones with Kevin Swindell, Cole Whitt and Dave Darland, for the lead, stand out. And one slip up would have cost him the title, as Brad Kuhn was a few positions behind him, doing exactly the same thing. In fact, Kuhn came so close to snatching second place away from DD, at the checker. High drama from green to checker, in this one. Same can be said for this series. It took a guy with a very high skill level, who was just not going to be denied, to keep someone like Brad Kuhn, who performed at a championship level all week, from winning this thing. This was an epic battle, IMO. And the championship may have very well been won on Wednesday @ Gas City when BC somehow left that place with a 4th place finish, after battling an ill handling midget, with a bent frame (unbeknownst to them, at the time), all night.

Indiana Midget Week has become such a great series!! I hope it never goes away.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/16/09 at 12:09 AM.

2 members like this post: REALDEAL, Z-man
6/15/09, 10:27 PM   #85
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

About all I can add is that it was another typical night at Kokomo. The O'Connor's have a built a jewel from a worn out old race track. The track prep is excellent and they put on a show every Sunday night. This place seems to get better every week. Talk about drivers up on the wheel. Is it sprint week yet?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo