IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What would it take for USAC to be as big as the WOO?
11/13/23, 11:22 AM   #11
Re: What would it take for USAC to be as big as the WOO?
opnwhlmnd

This idea lost any chance of succeeding on April 23rd 1978. It gave Ted Johnson the opening he needed and he took great advantage of it.

Tony Stewart and Kasey Kahne tried to make non-wing racing more popular by bringing in big money and large corporate sponsors but it didn't work and both the teams and sponsors are now gone.

Each of us should be very grateful for Lauren Albano with NOS Energy Drink for everything she does for the sport. Also the new NOS Zero is really good and sugar free.

5 members like this post: Blackduce, cowboyhar69, erich45, jdull99, racefan20
11/13/23, 12:18 PM   #12
flagboy55

In today’s world, you don’t necessarily have to have the best product to have the biggest following, Nascar for example. Unfortunately it would take a boatload of money, and saturation promotion to get USAC to the level of the Outlaws. I have to reiterate a few points that I bring out from time to time, so forgive my redundancy, but a big name star would be essential to attach their brand to the series. Apparently that’s a tough sell in that it hasn’t happened in earnest yet. I mean Kyle basically says he’s afraid of wingless Sprint Cars. I believe in 1981, when the Outlaws decided they no longer needed true Sprint Cars, and mandated wings, that was a huge setback to wingless and everyone on that side of the sport. I’m optimistic though that our preferred style is gathering momentum across the country, but I don’t see anyway it gets close to the popularity of the Outlaws. They’re the brand of the genre, the same way Q-Tip is to cotton swab’s. I do put out this warning as we continue to try to grow the sport. Be careful what you wish for. I’m old enough to remember Nascar pricing out their fan base as their popularity grew.

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, jdull99, nathans1012, PIT CART
11/13/23, 12:23 PM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
It would take USAC to find a fountain of youth for their fan base.

Old Fans watch mostly non wing
Old Racers race mostly wing.

In both cases it's called getting wiser.

Strange how that OLD FAN BASE never seems to run out. In fact it's been getting larger.

6 members like this post: dirtybob29, flagboy55, nathans1012, okie, Rapid Rick, Steve Wendel
11/13/23, 12:24 PM   #14
staggerman

What holds USAC back is they try to cater their drivers to run all 3 series. You never see the sprint series running the same night as midgets. Look at all the open weekends the sprint cars have which has led to local tracks getting the USAC stars at a local price if that driver doesn't have a midget or silver crown ride. The Woo and HL focus on 1 series and build a schedule for it and have large series sponsors that only support 1 series.

11/13/23, 1:27 PM   #15
jdull99

How about getting on a real TV channel (not streaming) like 16 times a year? Every Thursday or Saturday or Sunday...ESPN again, or MaV, or WB...anything...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: Blackduce
11/13/23, 3:09 PM   #16
JakeCroxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
What holds USAC back is they try to cater their drivers to run all 3 series. You never see the sprint series running the same night as midgets. Look at all the open weekends the sprint cars have which has led to local tracks getting the USAC stars at a local price if that driver doesn't have a midget or silver crown ride. The Woo and HL focus on 1 series and build a schedule for it and have large series sponsors that only support 1 series.
You didn't just suggest that they go back to scheduling against themselves did you lol...remember how stupid they were told they were...

1 member likes this post: captrat
11/13/23, 3:18 PM   #17
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCroxton View Post
You didn't just suggest that they go back to scheduling against themselves did you lol...remember how stupid they were told they were...
When was the last time they did? Of the 3 national tours. I know Tony had to miss a race or two from the sprints and/or midgets in 95 (& still won all 3 tho). Did Yeley?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: flagboy55, nathans1012
11/13/23, 8:25 PM   #18
Vookie

Rap music is extremely popular, but it really sucks.
I never trust the taste of the buying public.

11/13/23, 8:52 PM   #19
revjimk

Lots of interesting comments here, wish I knew the answer..... don't think its gonna happen
But I think it has to start with $$$. Some of the best nonwing guys have left for more $$$, takes away from the appeal for fans
That would just be to keep from shrinking, not "getting as big as WoO"... kinda like a really good punt in football

1 member likes this post: bighd0522
11/13/23, 9:40 PM   #20
oldfan49

The majority of Nascrap fans, Late Model Fans, Modified fans, and winged car fans have one thing in common. Not all but most of them come for the party more than the race. They will sit through a dusty race with not a single pass on a track that takes rubber in hot laps and yell about how awesome it was. Start talking technical to most and you get a deer in the headlights look. Most sprint car fans come for the race.
Notice there is one traditional race that emulates the atmosphere of the others, and it is sold out every year. The Chili Bowl.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What would it take for USAC to be as big as the WOO?