IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Subaru Powered Midget
4/14/19, 4:03 AM   #21
wright59

Really hero the chili bowl was 3 months ago?? You’re a genius! I think he was talking about next year and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t planning on providing all entries a motor, don’t be an Richard!!!

4/15/19, 8:26 PM   #22
Re: Subaru Powered Midget
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemire View Post
Hey everyone I seen you guys were interested in the Subaru midget well I spent the last 5 years and 50K developing and researching how to build it. Now we are racing it in California with BCRA and hopefully usac. Car is fast and pulling the wheels off the ground. Open to all questions
Tom Hooker had one in a midget in 1990 the SOHC engine

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/15/19, 8:28 PM   #23
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Some guy I think his last name was Black had a Subaru, maybe Jimmy Kite drove it a time or two, maybe Eric Gordon, and maybe I am so old I am just making things up in my head?
Tom Hooker owned and built the Engine

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/15/19, 8:29 PM   #24
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Didn't Jerry Covington have a Subaru in one of his midgets, boy that was a few years back! I'm like the other guy, I don't really remember, just wish I did! Bob
no

2 members like this post: tirespinner, TQ29m
4/15/19, 9:27 PM   #25
Tracy Hines Racing

It was a horizontally opposed engine according to the hero card .

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, tirespinner, TQ29m
4/20/19, 11:42 PM   #26
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 22

Kid was entered for the Western Midget show tonight at Merced. Even mentioned his Subaru development engine on Flo. Unfortunately didn’t make hot laps or heat race. Have to say I was skeptical at the beginning. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
4/21/19, 12:31 PM   #27
Roy Bleckert

My first thought on a N/A Suby is , while U can turn the snot out of em, HP is limited on a N/A application due to crappy cylinder head flow , now you turbo them & they get pretty mean in the rally cars !!! IIRC Cosworth had some pretty stout turbo rally car Suby engines back in the day !!!

4/21/19, 1:26 PM   #28
Roy Bleckert

Can you even run a Suby or VW in USAC anymore? this is what i see listed on the Midget engine rules for 2019

DIRTMIDGETSERIES. EngineSizeLimitsAllDivisions/RPMLimitsforNationalMidgetEventsA.PushrodTypeEngin es1.Fourcylinderin-line,twovalvespercylinder,watercooled,withintakean dexhaustportsonthesamesideoftheheadusinganaluminum blockandapprovednon-crossflowaluminum“Fontana”cylinderhead.Maximumof17 4CID(2852cc)MaximumRPM88002.Fontana(Rhino)sealedsp ecengineMaximumof200CID(3278cc)MaximumRPM(factorys etandsealed)78003.Fourcylinderin-line,twovalvespercylinder,watercooled,utilizingana luminumblockand/orhead.Maximum166CID(2721cc)MaximumRPM8700B.

SingleOverheadCamshaftTypeEngines1.Fourcylinderinl ine,aluminumblockandhead,2valvespercylinder.Maximu m161CID(2639cc)MaximumRPM10300(Esslinger)MaximumRP M9800(EsslingerBB7)MaximumRPM9800(MOPAR–SR-11)2.EsslingerESTsealedspecengineMaximum161CID(263 9cc)engine.MaximumRPM(factorysetandsealed)9400C.

DoubleOverheadCamshaftTypeEngines1.HondaK-Seriesfourcylinderin-line,water-cooled,fourvalvespercylinder,mustuseHondaOEMcylind erblockandcylinderhead.Maximum154.6CID(2533.5cc)Ma ximumRPM9400

4/23/19, 12:56 AM   #29
Lemire

Sir, I understand that Saturday was a disappointment for not only people excited to see the engine run but for me as well. We are currently going through the engines fuel system extensively as Fuel regulator failed giving us only 20psi! I did want to let you know that I was apart of the hot laps and that was where I encountered my fuel issues. The main problem we are running into is some set-up issues where the car is biting hard on the right rear and wanting to pull the front end up.. not sure why

4/23/19, 1:34 AM   #30
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemire View Post
Sir, I understand that Saturday was a disappointment for not only people excited to see the engine run but for me as well. We are currently going through the engines fuel system extensively as Fuel regulator failed giving us only 20psi! I did want to let you know that I was apart of the hot laps and that was where I encountered my fuel issues. The main problem we are running into is some set-up issues where the car is biting hard on the right rear and wanting to pull the front end up.. not sure why
Hang in there! Innovation is a good thing, can't succeed if you don't try!

4 members like this post: interpreter66, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, superstock30
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Subaru Powered Midget