IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Torsion Tube Straightening
7/11/10, 1:39 PM   #1
Torsion Tube Straightening
dirt4life

Anyone know a good way to straighten a torsion tube that is slightly off? We pulled it back with a winch and a pipe and have it probably an 1/8th off. Torsion bar installed is just a little tight. Anyone have an easier way to straighten these or more precise? Appreciate your help.

7/11/10, 2:43 PM   #2
Re: Torsion Tube Straightening
TQ29m

I suppose it's the long end? Kinda hard to get them to stay, without an added support tube welded on. Might try finding a socket that will slip in the tube fairly snug, and drive it thru, that may straighten a slight kink that may be keeping it off just a bit. Good luck! Bob

7/11/10, 3:53 PM   #3
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt4life View Post
Anyone know a good way to straighten a torsion tube that is slightly off? We pulled it back with a winch and a pipe and have it probably an 1/8th off. Torsion bar installed is just a little tight. Anyone have an easier way to straighten these or more precise? Appreciate your help.
If you got it that close,you can also just grind a little out of the torsion bar bushing on the side that's tight until the bar turns freely.I've done this before in an emergency type quick fix.

7/12/10, 8:41 AM   #4
SprintRacer4

Find somebody who still sells torsion tube bullets. Hammer it through the tube & it should straighten it out. Otherwise might have to tie the car down in the shop & use a porta power to straighten it out

7/12/10, 10:59 AM   #5

Buy a 1 5/16" trailer ball and turn it down to fit into the tube, with a nice shape-like a bullet. Then weld it to an old torsion bar. You have a shaper and a pry bar!

7/13/10, 10:17 PM   #6
v8j

cut it off and splice a new 1 back on

1 member likes this post: HurstBros0
7/27/10, 10:43 PM   #7
HurstBros0

Cut it off where the torsion stop pad is . Get a piece of chrome moly that will slide over the outside of your traverse tube . Slide an old straight torsion bar in to keep it straight while you weld . Plastic bushings will melt. When you are done nobody knows that piece of tubing is not your torsion stop pad.

7/28/10, 4:20 PM   #8
dant

I took a peice of round stock,chucked it in a lathe -turned it down to a nice fit in the torsion tube,,,it's about 20" long,,,I rounded the start end slightly...drive it in with a sledge hammer -staightens and makes the tube round...when your done ,take an old torsion bar insert it in the other end of the tube your straightening and drive the tool out..I've straightened dozens of chassis this way and if your already just an 1/8 out ..you've got it close already

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Torsion Tube Straightening