IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > My Father-in-Law
11/29/15, 11:56 AM   #1
My Father-in-Law
Racerrob

I lost my father-in-law this morning. I have known this man since I was 6 years old and he has been an inspiration to me and my family. I would like to share a little of his story.

He had earned a partial scholarship to play football at Notre Dame and was working a summer job to earn money for college when he suffered a spinal cord injury which left him paralyzed from the waist down at the age of 18. He vowed he would walk again but the doctors told him he would not and he would most likely not live to be 35.

A lesser man might have been overwhelmed and accepted the doctor's prognosis but he was far to headstrong to accept anything told to him. With the help of leg braces and crutches, he "walked", earned a degree in Chemistry from Xavier University, married his high school sweetheart, fathered 4 children and pursued a career as an industrial hygienist. Being mechanically inclined, he fitted his car and tractor with hand controls to allow him the ability to drive to work and bush hog and plow. He rigged a rope and pulley to allow him to lift himself onto the tractor withou assistance.

He taught all of his children (including my wife) how to change their oil and tires, replace their brakes and do other basic car maintenance. He instilled a strong work ethic in each of his children and a sense of self reliance and independence.

Upon his retirement he bought and restored antique farm tractors, enjoyed going to the ballet and tinkering with his gun collection. He continued driving with hand controls up to six months ago when he was no longer able to muster the strength to transfer from his scooter to the seat of the van.

His physical decline over the last six months was dramatic which only served to frustrate a man who cherised his independence. He leaves behind his wife of 60 years, 4 children, numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren and a tremendous legacy as a man who never gave up in the face of adversity.

I will miss him and his positive example tremendously. Please keep him and his family in your prayers.

Thanks.

11/29/15, 12:01 PM   #2
Re: My Father-in-Law
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Rob, My Condolences and Prayers to you, Your wife and all the family and friends.

11/29/15, 12:09 PM   #3
treecitytornado

My thoughts and prayers to you and the family! May God give you strength through this tough time!

11/29/15, 1:29 PM   #4
jim goerge

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

11/29/15, 1:46 PM   #5
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Wow! What a great man! I am very sorry for your loss! You, your wife and all family and friends will be kept in my prayers!

11/29/15, 2:17 PM   #6
i love dirt track racing

Our racing families send you and your family our prayers.

11/29/15, 2:20 PM   #7
Racerrob

Picture of my father-in-law using hand controls in a manual transmission truck pushing sprint car at Tri-County Speedway (Cincinnati, Oh).

I had completely forgotten about this!
Attached Images
image.jpeg (1.26 MB, 212 views)

11/29/15, 2:24 PM   #8
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

What an interesting and inspiring man! Sorry for your loss!

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
11/29/15, 2:32 PM   #9
PIT CART

Sorry for your loss.

11/29/15, 2:44 PM   #10
interpreter66

Thank you for sharing that story, sounds like you were a very lucky man to have that inspiration around you your whole life,my condolences to you and the rest of your family
Last edited by interpreter66; 11/29/15 at 2:46 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > My Father-in-Law