IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alcohol conversion for a mini sprint
3/12/16, 10:40 PM   #11
Brat47

Does it have mechanical or electronic injection? You could give Daryl Saucier at DSR Fuel Systems a call 317-490-3410.

3/12/16, 10:48 PM   #12
RookieMove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear10 View Post
Safer , more power, motors run cooler, makes motors last longer.

Ok, but it's not a must per say?

Reason I ask is I might want to but a roller and then build my own motor. I don't really want to mess with alky if I don't have to. I can make power without alky so I'm not worried about that.

3/12/16, 11:39 PM   #13
Bear10

I guarantee you with stock motor rules at the end of a 20 lap race you will not be making more power than an alcohol motor... And yes it is a must when you find out how hard it is to cool itself ... Why are you against it??? No different .. If you don't race every week just start the motor on gas takes 5 min and let the gas stay in the injectors and lines until you get ready to race again... If you race every two weeks just start your motor on ur off week for a few minutes that's it... No other maintenance at all!!! Clean alcohol is clean fuel system

3/13/16, 7:08 AM   #14
TQ29m

And add a little uplon from Klotz, and help the rings and valves, and bores! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/13/16, 9:07 AM   #15
Re: Alcohol conversion for a mini sprint
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

[QUOTE=TQ29m;440596]And add a little uplon from Klotz, and help the rings and valves, and bores! Bob[/QUOTE
]
That's good stuff; I just dismantled my fuel system after 2 seasons (with little to no maintenance) and she's clean as a whistle...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
3/13/16, 9:15 AM   #16
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieMove View Post
Ok, but it's not a must per say?

Reason I ask is I might want to but a roller and then build my own motor. I don't really want to mess with alky if I don't have to. I can make power without alky so I'm not worried about that.
Rookie

Forget the idea about going into motor building. These ain't your average 350 chevy. The equipment and measuring gauges are probably not at your disposal and these things like to stay in the .0001 +/- tolerance level. Running gasoline is fine >>in fact if you want to invest in some $20.00 gallon race fuel in 5 gallon cans you will make more power than you will on Methanol. BUT if you want to run any kind of Gasoline invest in a good electric fan from a parts store and run it all the time, and keep the darned thermostat in.

Having Raced Mini Sprints for years I have found that the motor is the last place I would look for a performance advantage. All of these new 1000cc motors come out of the factory with engines producing power in about the same percentage of a Formula one race car>>>not much room for improvement there. Now driving and handling you have all kind of room there for improvement.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/13/16 at 9:17 AM.

3 members like this post: QMdad206, RookieMove, the visitor
3/13/16, 1:24 PM   #17
TQ29m

You might also want to consider buying yourself an alcohol hydrometer, and ck every bbl, or gallon you buy, it is usually all created equal, but as it's primary use is drying propane, it depends on how much it's been used, therefore how much water it contains, or age, or other stuff! Bob

3/13/16, 3:07 PM   #18
RookieMove

Im not against alcohol conversion at all but the cost seems prohibitive for a class that is supposed to be a entry level club class.

Was thinking that I could run gasoline for a while and when its in the budget switch to alcohol. Long story short I'm trying to prevent spending a bunch of money in one big hit.

As far as motor building I guess I worded that wrong. I'm planning to get a used motor and simply do a refresh to make sure it doesn't grenade my first weekend. Im very familiar with sportbikes so u know exactly what you mean Honest Dad as far as getting more power out of them. And learning how to drive first.

I'm simply trying to figure out a cost effective way of getting my feet wet in the sport.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
3/13/16, 3:34 PM   #19
Bear10

I'm excited to see new guys coming out into our class but if you think that this is an entry level club class you will be highly dissapointed... Yes it is a great class to get started racing but you will find that there are some really really fast cars out there. It's a ton of fun and great guys and not discouraging you at all just be aware of your expectations... It's very competitive and you have about 15 guys been doing this for a long time and are very fast and do not see this as an entry level class... Like I said not discouraging you just have some knowledge before you put the pedal on the floor! Good luck to you and most importantly have a ton of fun!

1 member likes this post: RookieMove
3/13/16, 4:46 PM   #20
Bradleyracing86

You can run gas without any issue, we did it for years. My first championship and my brothers first were both on gas... Racing against guys who have alky.. The main reason we switched was for safety, and longevity... You can convert most cars for $400-$700 maybe even cheaper in some cases.. But you will be fine with gas to start...
Andy

2 members like this post: RookieMove, the visitor
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alcohol conversion for a mini sprint