IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dave Darland Retiring?
6/10/19, 12:40 PM   #1
WingedFan2019

Race Count This Year: 9
Race Count Last Year: 49

Big fan of Dave Darland have been for years. But rumors are surfacing that at the end of the 2019 season he’s hanging up the helmet. No idea if this is true or not so I thought I’d ask her

1 member likes this post: racegal
6/10/19, 3:22 PM   #2
Re: Dave Darland Retiring?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

We'll just have to see what happens, I know Dave still loves to race and still is capable of winning. But the rumor has been out there a couple years. Seemed serious last year and they went and bought a bigger T shirt trailer

Hurts not to have a solid deal in the sprints and then have their own sprint foul a motor.

We'll see what happens, whatever it is, I wish them the best. The whole family is Genuine.

6/10/19, 4:09 PM   #3
EZ04

It's kinda sad having to see him ride jumping and as already mentioned issues with his personal team. But I've seen Dave do this before over the years and still have success. He's a wheelman thats for sure. Whatever happens I wish him the best of luck and he'll forever be the peoples champ.
Last edited by EZ04; 6/10/19 at 4:43 PM.

6/10/19, 5:42 PM   #4
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ04 View Post
It's kinda sad having to see him ride jumping and as already mentioned issues with his personal team. But I've seen Dave do this before over the years and still have success. He's a wheelman thats for sure. Whatever happens I wish him the best of luck and he'll forever be the peoples champ.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't totally agree with that. I was just thinking the other day, after the MSCS race at LPS, that there's something cool about getting to see the great Dave Darland at a local track, driving the piss out of a family-owned car in the twilight of his career. By the time these races are over, ending up ahead of some drivers that are in more expensive equipment than him. Kind of like when he started. Even after all these years, you could still put the guy in about any car and he will make it competitive.

And it's not like there's anything else left for him to achieve. He's already in the Hall of Fame. He's won national championships in all 3 USAC divisions. And he's won every major race. Most multiple times.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

6/10/19, 5:52 PM   #5
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
We'll just have to see what happens, I know Dave still loves to race and still is capable of winning. But the rumor has been out there a couple years. Seemed serious last year and they went and bought a bigger T shirt trailer

Hurts not to have a solid deal in the sprints and then have their own sprint foul a motor.

We'll see what happens, whatever it is, I wish them the best. The whole family is Genuine.
& their T-shirts have the best graphics. I already have too many, but hard to resist...

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, davidm, racegal, tirespinner
6/10/19, 6:49 PM   #6
chrismattlin

Dave's not gonna retire. I could see him scaling back (eventually), but when you can beat the best the sport has to offer... well, what's the point? Dave's problem is the same as the sport as a whole, there's not many car owners any more. Heck, how many car owners are there in USAC anymore which aren't innately connected to the guy wheeling it? We've lost a bunch in recent years and no one is replacing them.

Worst case scenario, DD might have to go find a full time job which would force him to "retire" as a full time USAC driver, but as long as he's as good as he is, he'll still be banging cushions on Indiana dirt.

5 members like this post: captrat, Eatin Dirt, oppweld, racegal, tirespinner
6/11/19, 8:51 AM   #7
Non wing lover

Before he retires I want see him win the chili bowl just once idk has ever got a win at haustadt? If he hasn't I want get these two before he hangs it up

1 member likes this post: racegal
6/11/19, 8:59 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non wing lover View Post
Before he retires I want see him win the chili bowl just once idk has ever got a win at haustadt? If he hasn't I want get these two before he hangs it up

Won last years Sprint Week at Haubstadt.

3 members like this post: Adolph, BrentTFunk, racegal
6/11/19, 12:27 PM   #9
Non wing lover

Ok Charles now he needs a golden driller at chili bowl on his resume

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, racegal, racenut69
6/11/19, 1:49 PM   #10
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non wing lover View Post
Ok Charles now he needs a golden driller at chili bowl on his resume
Maybe IOW should crowd fund and sponsor him into a KKM midget...

4 members like this post: bigq11, PIT CART, racenut69, Speedwrench
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dave Darland Retiring?