IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Darland to race for ballou in final 5 usac sprint race
10/29/18, 12:20 PM   #1
Usac: Darland to race for ballou in final 5 usac sprint race
admin

10/29/18 12:18 PM DARLAND TO RACE FOR BALLOU IN FINAL 5 USAC SPRINT RACES

http://usacracing.com/news/sprint-ca...c-sprint-races

DARLAND TO RACE FOR BALLOU IN FINAL 5 USAC SPRINT RACES

The United States Auto Club (USAC Racing) Competition Committee met on Saturday, Oct., 27, 2018 to discuss a request by suspended USAC driver Robert Ballou to have a car entered into the remaining five events on the AMSOIL National Sprint Car 2018 season.

The Competition Committee reviewed this request and approved the Ballou Motorsports #12 would be allowed entry into those events based upon the provision that only Darland could be the driver.

On Sept. 26, 2018 Ballou was prohibited from all USAC competition for the remainder of the 2018 calendar year due to numerous actions conducted by Ballou which were deemed detrimental to the sport of auto racing. The car entry by Robert Ballou will not be eligible for owner points or 2018 incentives as part of additional penalties/fines announced previously.

10/29/18, 12:43 PM   #2
midnightrider

That is a win-win in my opinion. Thanks to USAC for approving this.

10/29/18, 1:06 PM   #3
Re: Usac: Darland to race for ballou in final 5 usac sprint
chathamracefan

I presume he is allowed on the grounds to watch his car compete. Might be some long lines at his trailer to buy t shirts after the races.

10/29/18, 1:27 PM   #4
JarrettFarms73

I’m diggin’ this! I have tremendous respect for anyone tightening the belts and chin strap, but DD is still my longtime “favorite”. I’ve said in a prior post or two that meeting the Madman away from the track totally changed my perspective on Robert. Add me to the list of people that doesn’t always agree w/ what he says but 100% respect that he’s willing to say it, even if unpopular or the minority. You can also count me in for a “People’s Outlaw” T shirt.

Kudos to DDR & Ballou Motorsports for finding enough common ground to make this happen! Good luck the rest of the way out and definitely 2019!

10/29/18, 1:31 PM   #5
JarrettFarms73

or could we at least get a pair of cowboys riding out to the western sunset, one in a white hat, the other in black, “never say never when it comes to racin’“

5 members like this post: jim goerge, LUCKYONE, oppweld, ronmil, tirespinner
10/29/18, 2:19 PM   #6
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

This is Halloween,Ballou might have a full body Darland suit mask included

10/29/18, 2:24 PM   #7
kdobson

Good for USAC for allowing it, but Great for Robert for being agreeable to doing this in the first place. I spent some time visiting with Robert when he raced with us at Jacksonville a few weeks ago and at that time it seemed that he was questioning his future involvement in the sport. I recall him saying "I might just sell it all." Oh, please NO! The sport needs Robert Ballou and others like him.

It might not need 'over-the-top, say anything and everything that comes to mind' kind of Robert, but it needs characters like him who can draw attention to the sport and events even when the motors are silent. I'm sure through this Robert has reflected and had others counsel him into having a better idea of where the bright lines might be. And his willingness to step back into the arena from which he was so publicly removed - even in a different capacity - speaks volumes for Robert's love of the sport and appreciation for some of the finer things it offers including Dave Darland... and maybe even a sanctioning body he's found himself sideways with recently.

While I'm sure most of the 'thanks' we will see here will be directed toward USAC for making an exception, I want to give a huge THANKS to Robert Ballou for even considering the idea and in a way offering an olive branch by putting the People's Champ in a top quality ride for the West Coast fans to enjoy. Big gesture on your part that isn't going unnoticed.
Last edited by kdobson; 10/29/18 at 2:27 PM.

10/29/18, 3:34 PM   #8
chathamracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
This is Halloween,Ballou might have a full body Darland suit mask included
I was thinking along the lines of a Shane Cockrum type Chili Bowl deal driving as someone else.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, LUCKYONE, oppweld, tirespinner
10/29/18, 4:10 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Deputy (As he used to call himself) DD in the Outlaws Car. Epic.

4 members like this post: Dffuchs12, jim goerge, LUCKYONE, mc/rider
10/29/18, 5:43 PM   #10
BrentTFunk

I also think this is a win for everybody. This will give Robert a way to build some momentum, and put this year behind him.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Darland to race for ballou in final 5 usac sprint race