IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No driver shirt sales @ gas city
4/26/14, 9:43 AM   #1
No driver shirt sales @ gas city
robert gatten

After Mel tells drivers they could sell shirts all year, behind the grandstands at his track, he comes back the second week and says drivers selling shirts the first week "KILLED" business in his I-69 souvenir shop. He even waited until everything was set up THEN came over and had them take everything down! He also stopped USAC from selling anything that was driver related in their trailer. For the life of me I can't understand why a track will not set up areas to HELP drivers sell their shirts. They say you can sell in the pits but most people don't go into the pits. Drivers put on your show and make very little money doing it and shirt sales is just one little thing that helps their expenses.
The driver I know bought extra shirts and hats thinking he would be able to sell there all year long only to be told one week later NO. It means so much to drivers, in many ways, when a shirt is sold and worn on race day.
What started out as a positive situation has been overtaken by GREED. If a couple hundred dollars makes or breaks this promoter then I will have to agree with another post that this place is in trouble. SAD

4/26/14, 11:17 AM   #2
Re: No driver shirt sales @ gas city
BrentTFunk

I am sure the track lost money last night. There was no crowd. Feel bad for the drivers selling shirts. I did see Jack Himelick the guy who owns the track. Maybe you could make a bid to take it over and save it.

3 members like this post: agar, fish, interpreter66
4/26/14, 11:34 AM   #3
robert gatten

Paul Hazen runs sprint cars for 57 years and has a tee shirt to commemorate the accomplishment ,two big words ha, and Mel would not let that shirt to be sold ether !! But you can order one at chadboespflugracing.com . Everybody order one and wear it at GAS CITY.

1 member likes this post: Hotrod
4/26/14, 11:57 AM   #4
old timer

no crowd at Bloomington either

4/26/14, 11:58 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Its a double edge sword IMHO and it all comes down to back scratchin. The tracks going to charge each car 30 bucks a person with that car no matter what. It cost the team several hundred just to put the car on the track. The more cars, The more fans paying 25 bucks to get in. Sad but true, expecially in USAC if they have less than four heats and consi and feature its not much more than a regular 13-15 dollar show. Most of the local guys can get back to the track, replace some stuff and help the track put on a good show by Selling some T Shirts. Some of the USAC regulars put their merch in the USAC trailer

I know some of the larger shows, WOO Kings Royals Knoxville Nationals T shirt sales are a major $$$ maker but most of them guys came from the weekly ranks running all your tracks, USAC? Maybe Sprint Week. Oval Nationals, Eastern Storm where big crowds are expected.

Truth is, some tracks have basically cut off Fans from the drivers. Unless the fans willing to pay a extra 15 bucks just to go back and see them or wait a extra half hour or hour till the other classes are done.

Without the cars, you have nothing but prepped dirt, lights and the bills that come with it. No matter how hard you work or how nice your facility is. Not knocking anyone and know tracks have to make a little to open and be worthwhile as well.

Chuck
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/26/14 at 12:01 PM.

3 members like this post: davidm, jim goerge, mc/rider
4/26/14, 12:49 PM   #6
robert gatten

Don't think there was ever a track that made it's fortune on tee shirt sales. A driver souvenir row or section would add excitement and activity for fans. Shopping at the track could be fun and benefit everyone involved, including the tracks shop. Ever been to a NASCAR race and visited all the souvenir trailers, don't think Humpy or any promoter ever worried that the drivers were putting them out of business.

1 member likes this post: mowerman
4/26/14, 12:59 PM   #7
PIT CART

If Mel is in this to make fortune it is going to be a short race season. I do not know Mel or his business plan I do hope he can make everybody happy this summer. I will be there just about every Friday they race!!

1 member likes this post: mowerman
4/26/14, 1:28 PM   #8
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert gatten View Post
Don't think there was ever a track that made it's fortune on tee shirt sales. A driver souvenir row or section would add excitement and activity for fans. Shopping at the track could be fun and benefit everyone involved, including the tracks shop. Ever been to a NASCAR race and visited all the souvenir trailers, don't think Humpy or any promoter ever worried that the drivers were putting them out of business.
I know a retired couple who traveled the NASCAR curcuit selling driver shirts, caps, sweatshirts, jackets, etc........First off they had to bid to a team in order to sell their wares. Then they had to pay NASCAR a percentage of sales for their licensing agreement. On top of that, each track charged a fee in order to set up and do business at their facility.

We were at Charlotte and saw first hand the police coming in and confiscating all of a vendors wares due to non payment of the tracks fee. Humpy didn't worry because they were receiving money up front before the weekend racing even started. No pay, no sell.

I hope that Mel can make a go of it at Gas City. If not, I certainly don't see anyone else sticking their neck out to buy/promote the facility. I also hope that some sort of an agreement can be worked out for the teams and drivers to be able to sell their wares. If anyone thinks that promoters are making huge amounts of cash, think again. Look at car counts and check the grandstands. This economy is certainly causing hardship for track owners/promoters, car owners, drivers and fans alike.

Be careful what you wish for, it very well may come true.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4/26/14, 2:00 PM   #9
robert gatten

I only wish the best for Gas City and Mel running the place with success , hampering drivers from making back a little expense money should not hurt his efforts, only improve it.

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, jim goerge, PIT CART
4/26/14, 2:40 PM   #10
Mudslinger

Years ago you went to a track and you could see people selling all kinds of race related items and shirts including the driver shirts. It was really an event to see all the things available. The promoters were happy because each both would pay a small fee to rent space. Promoters still were the only one to sell there track shirts. I really wish Mel great success in this venture, but think he is missing the opportunity to help the drivers and in return help himself.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, robert gatten
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No driver shirt sales @ gas city