IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City
2/3/14, 5:42 PM   #1
Gas City
LUCKYONE

Has anyone heard any thing about Gas City I69 speedway?

2/3/14, 6:52 PM   #2
Re: Gas City
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYONE View Post
Has anyone heard any thing about Gas City I69 speedway?
They've still got an awful attitude towards racers. Saw one driver a week or two ago inquiring about a schedule so he could finalize his 2014 schedule and the response amounted to we'll get it out when we get around to it. Not impressed and have no intention of giving them a dime of my money any time soon so long as they carry that approach.

2 members like this post: dirt330, younggun398
2/3/14, 9:44 PM   #3
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

I saw in the paper they have a new promoter and they are trying to finalize the schedule..as to when it will be released I don't have a clue..

ty

2/4/14, 1:04 AM   #4
leroy b

as someone who has work there before and hope to be back, if they do what they say there going to, the place will come back to be a great place to race. will take some time. mel has some good ideas and he had a car there for many years, so he knows how it was

2 members like this post: fish, PIT CART
2/4/14, 1:58 AM   #5
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid89 View Post
They've still got an awful attitude towards racers. Saw one driver a week or two ago inquiring about a schedule so he could finalize his 2014 schedule and the response amounted to we'll get it out when we get around to it. Not impressed and have no intention of giving them a dime of my money any time soon so long as they carry that approach.
I've always considered the people that ran Gas City in the past as amongst the nicest people in the business.
So to say they STILL have an awful attitude is a bunch of baloney.

Jim Fisher
Last edited by fish; 2/4/14 at 2:02 AM.

6 members like this post: kawkaw2, LUCKYONE, mowerman, PIT CART, PJ Wright, robert gatten
2/4/14, 8:55 AM   #6
Danny Williams Sr.

Please give Mel Botkin some time to get his ducks in a row. Mr. Botkin just recently signed the lease to operate Gas City I - 69 Speedway.

FYI - I no longer do announcing at Gas City. Last September when they asked me if I was returning I told them 17 years was long enough and they needed to find some "new blood" to do the PA work. So I don't have a dog in this fight.

Maybe qualifications, trophy dash, another open wheel class and/or other ideas to surface soon(if things work out as Mel hopes).

Should be an exciting 2014 season at Gas City I -69 Speedway.

Danny Williams Sr.

5 members like this post: fish, koolaid89, LUCKYONE, spicoli, Will Shunk
2/4/14, 9:08 AM   #7
fuzzyracing

Enjoy your time to yourself Danny. Hope to see you around!

John Fosnaugh

1 member likes this post: fish
2/4/14, 10:45 AM   #8
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Williams Sr. View Post
Please give Mel Botkin some time to get his ducks in a row. Mr. Botkin just recently signed the lease to operate Gas City I - 69 Speedway.

FYI - I no longer do announcing at Gas City. Last September when they asked me if I was returning I told them 17 years was long enough and they needed to find some "new blood" to do the PA work. So I don't have a dog in this fight.

Maybe qualifications, trophy dash, another open wheel class and/or other ideas to surface soon(if things work out as Mel hopes).

Should be an exciting 2014 season at Gas City I -69 Speedway.

Danny Williams Sr.

Sorry to hear that you won't be back Danny. I always enjoyed your work and hope that you can have some time to be just a race fan. Unfortunately, I doubt that they can find anyone with your experience to replace you. Big shoes to fill for sure.

I also agree that we need to give Mel some time. I have known Mel for over 30 years and he has the knowledge to make this work. We all just need to think SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4 members like this post: dirt330, fish, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright
2/4/14, 12:32 PM   #9
Stevensville Mike

I can't vouch for how they treat their drivers, but as a fan, I like going to the joint. I've heard bad things about the grandstands being outdated and small, but that is no issue for me. The only detractor for me is the distance I have to go to get there (through booming towns like Plevna and Converse) but that is not the track's problem.

They win hands down for the cutest announcer.

2 members like this post: fish, speed bump
2/4/14, 4:27 PM   #10
Danny Williams Sr.

John & Mud Packer thanks for the kind words.

Stevensville - thanks, my wife thinks I'm cute too!

Or did you mean Stephanie?

4 members like this post: fish, hairracer44, Mud Packer, Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City