IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Backitin (Offline)
  #1 3/7/16 10:03 AM
You guys that have a nonwing sprintcar track locally should embrace and cherish every moment of every night of racing.
I see the debates on which track is the best, it doesn't really matter they all blow away the racing we have here.
All the cars here are pretty much junk, supposedly top of the line racing. Big block modifieds, winged sprints. The winged sprints totally blow, who cares how fast cars are when nobody is sideways. As for todays modifieds, they turn my stomach the most. When I talk about the old days of modifieds at Flemington Speedway the younger guys just figure I'm a bitter old timer.
Fact is back in the mid seventies our big block modified weighted 212 lbs more than a sprintcar and wasn't much bigger. It was powered by a approx. 560 c.i chevy with huge stacks on top of huge Hilborn injectors. Guys built there cars in the back yard or in a cramped garage, frames and all. The best builders had the best and safest cars, pretty important when the mods were averaging 121 mph. Most guys today have no idea the balls it used to take just to contemplate racing some of the cars I saw.
Its funny but back than we used to wait till the sprintcars came out to go to the can or go into the pits to see what the modified guys were building, that's how badass the modifieds were. The fastest guys always started the main in the rear, I could never figure out how your supposed to have good racing when you promise a freight train race by starting the fastest guys on the pole followed in order by the rest.

Once rules come into any top line series or track the racing suffers.

So anyhow I'd love and support what you got.
If I could go back in time it wouldn't be to save the world and it wouldn't be to take it over, or right any wrongs. It would be to sit in the stands at Flemington again.
14 Likes: billw, davidm, DirtHawk92, dirtnonwingfan, Gene Franckowiak, interpreter66, jim goerge, Josh Spencer, Pat O'Connor Fan, stp6237, TNRustler, v8j, Wayne Davis, Wizard 05
Wizard 05 (Offline)
  #2 3/7/16 11:14 AM
I remember when Butler Speedway (IN Michigan) ran the mods.. And it was the same type of thing..Everybody always watch them..Then they slowly turned into a cross between e-coast big block things and IMCA cars..Now I believe they are UMP..But the old mods at Butler were always a handful.
davidm (Offline)
  #3 3/7/16 12:37 PM
Backitin, you talking about mods like this right?

6 Likes: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, K9Racer, Pat O'Connor Fan, smith19, team3521
smith19 (Offline)
  #4 3/7/16 1:20 PM
david, that guy right there I would pay to watch him race a wooden gitny!!!

CHRIS SMITH
Andrew S. Quinn (Offline)
  #5 3/7/16 1:48 PM
Is that the "Shillington Slingshot"?
davidm (Offline)
  #6 3/7/16 2:20 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn:
Is that the "Shillington Slingshot"?
I wish it was, but this was from this past summer at Susquehanna Speedway with one of the vintage clubs. I've been pretty lucky to see Kenny run Sprints, Mods and LM's. He always been a treat to watch!
2 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, jim goerge
double checkered (Offline)
  #7 3/8/16 3:31 PM
Mr. Excitement Kenny Brightbill. I only got to witness a few races at "The Square". A few while it was dirt and a couple when they ruined (caugh caugh) it by paving it. I watched my racing hero Doug Hoffman and the guy who got me interested in flagging Harry Dee. It sure was a wonderful place. Loved getting covered with clay.

Jeremy
Stine388 (Offline)
  #8 3/8/16 3:47 PM

These are the mods that they run at Butler Motor Speedway now!
Backitin (Offline)
  #9 3/9/16 6:54 PM
Originally Posted by davidm:
Backitin, you talking about mods like this right?

Yep pretty much. just add big block, take off the carb add injectors and get some big tires and wheels under that puppy.