IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
HoosierDirt (Offline)
  #1 4/26/10 4:58 AM
what is a good oil filter to use on a 410 motor I was told not to use a HP4 on the lawrenceburg track what does everyone else use ????
6565 (Offline)
  #2 4/26/10 10:18 AM
Wix!
#51060R I think-maybe someone can verify this.

Don't use a Fram filter on any track.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #3 4/26/10 12:30 PM
Friend of mine, in his ARCA days, had problems with everything but the blue GM filters, took him a while to break down and go back to them, but that solved his problems. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
dustbowl (Offline)
  #4 4/26/10 3:54 PM
K&N HP 3002, never had any problems anywhere.
Hurryinhoosier (Offline)
  #5 4/27/10 8:55 AM
We carry the Wix, Fram, and K&N...we have some that are still loyal to the Fram but most buy the K&N. Ih ave ran the Wix and the K&N on my stuff with no worries but have heard to many horrer storiues about the Fram.
MarkHarden (Offline)
  #6 4/27/10 12:52 PM
Whats the deal with the fram? Is the casing weak?
racebum (Offline)
  #7 5/8/10 11:26 PM
I have had several experiences with oil filters.
#1. The rubber flapper valve on the intake side of the filter tears apart and lodges itself in the oil filter by-pass damaging the by-pass and allowing the rubber flapper pass through the filter to the main oil galley blocking the oil flow. I called the filter mfg and they mailed me a claim kit. The mfg examined the filter and paid me for a good used race engine. After this I started to use the A/C filters because they had a steel flapper valve. Sadly A/C has now gone with the rubber flapper valve.
#2. The oil pressure increases for some reason. Maybe a stuck oil pump by-bass or maybe just a cold night start up with heavy oil. The oil filter casing balloons from the high pressure and it lifts the base plate enough to allow the oil filter gasket to leak or fail. Inspection of the filter shows no obvious damage until you place the filter next to a new filter. It will be obvious the old filter is ballooned.
#3. There is enough oil pressure to spin the filter completely off if it is not tight. I use a large radiator clamp on my filters drill it for safety wire and wire tie it securely.
  #8 5/12/10 12:19 PM
I'd run whatever my engine builder recommends; he's probably got a bit more experience and expertise in that area......