IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Quoin December Indoor
12/17/17, 9:05 PM   #1
Du Quoin December Indoor
ISF

The December Du Quoin midget race has carved itself a solid niche in the world of midget racing. This years' event was no under achiever in yet another in a long line of wonderful racing we've seen in the Southern Illinois Center over the years since this event has been in existence.

More than ample car count, a pit area bubbling over with both driver talent and mechanical expertise, a near overflowing grandstand and a Christmas atmosphere that can't be experienced at any other venue this time of year.

Thanks to all who are involved with making this event at Du Quoin a yearly tradition. If last night was any indication this show is here to stay and will only grow in lore and significance. We've lost a great event for 2018 and it's somewhat heartening that another event is beginning to emerge as "big deal" to both fans and participants. Du Quoin will never replace the one we lost but it's a start.

12/17/17, 11:27 PM   #2
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

I totally agree! It was my first trip down to Du Quoin, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I urge anyone who has not been to make it a high priority next year. That's a gem down there in southern Illinois.

The racing is truly breathtaking. Once the track widened out after the 4th heat or so, I saw some of the best racing I witnessed all season.

Thanks to all who designed the event and see that it happens each year. It is greatly appreciated!

12/18/17, 1:02 AM   #3
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
I totally agree! It was my first trip down to Du Quoin, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I urge anyone who has not been to make it a high priority next year. That's a gem down there in southern Illinois.

The racing is truly breathtaking. Once the track widened out after the 4th heat or so, I saw some of the best racing I witnessed all season.

Thanks to all who designed the event and see that it happens each year. It is greatly appreciated!
Couldn't agree with you both more. Fantastic racing throughout the night. Was also my first trip and definitely worth the long voyage. Highly recommend to anyone that hasn't been before. I plan to return.

12/18/17, 6:59 AM   #4
Re: Du Quoin December Indoor
BrentTFunk

I also agree. I thought the racing was really good. Thanks to the teams, the Knepper family, and USAC for keeping racing at Duquoin going.

12/18/17, 9:51 AM   #5
nodramazone20

Great event....cant wait to return again....3 cars coming from deep in the pack to challenge for the win...Fun watching Sunshine try and get to Bell's bumper...would have been interesting

12/18/17, 10:39 AM   #6
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramazone20 View Post
Great event....cant wait to return again....3 cars coming from deep in the pack to challenge for the win...Fun watching Sunshine try and get to Bell's bumper...would have been interesting
That's what I was tuned in on for most of the feature. So much so that I kinda missed Golobic making up all of those positions. Some guys really charged up through the field in this one and that seems to be trend for this race. Love it!

12/18/17, 10:45 AM   #7
ISF

Has anyone heard the reason the December indoor race at Du Quoin was moved to Friday night?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
12/18/17, 10:47 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You look at the place when you walk in and you think no way they could get three wide and bam, once that cushion moves up half track or more they're out there using every inch of that track. You see drivers play with the minds of other drivers too and run to their outside a couple laps then pass em inside coming off the corner when they are trying to block. You also see some flat out rim riding and clean outside passes. I watched on PPV but I did go in 2012 and loved it.

I liked this year a bit better, It seemed they had the berm steeper so they weren't actually using it.

2 members like this post: GYATK94, Kydehart
12/18/17, 11:05 AM   #9
hilly

Race Count This Year: 4

First time there, as well. What a great time! A lot of racing for the money. Dad said it was some of the best racing he's a seen in quite awhile, so I'm sure we'll be back. The Fairgrounds Inn turned out to be nicer than I imagined and St.Nicholas Brewery serves some fine beer. It was a good December road trip.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, GYATK94, Kydehart, luckybuc97, Simon_says17
12/18/17, 12:19 PM   #10
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Has anyone heard the reason the December indoor race at Du Quoin was moved to Friday night?
Could there be two promoters working together with DuQuoin running Friday night and Dome running midgets on Saturday night as Dome moved late model dates to November 29th, 30th and December 1st for 2018. That would be a tremendous weekend for the midgets!!

Bruce Eckel

3 members like this post: billw, jdull99, stealth43k
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Quoin December Indoor