IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An Open Letter To Promoters and PA Announcers
8/9/19, 10:01 AM   #1
An Open Letter To Promoters and PA Announcers
ISF

Dear Promoters & PA Announcers:

Being lifelong bleacher jockeys we've witnessed how things have changed over the years. I've also harangued on this subject before. I believe I speak for many regular racing attendee's. I'll try to lean in the direction of brevity as much as possible but I could rant ad nauseum.

I, like most here on IOW, attend many racing events as well as being a FLORACING subscriber. Very nearly every racing event we attend or watch on the internet the PA announcers incite and implore the crowd to stand up for the 4 wide salute. We've even attended racing events where the PA announcers incite and implore the crowd to stand for the closing stages of the race. Are you all aware that standing renders my wife's vantage point and the vantage point of other shorter women and young people useless. Those folks might as well get up and leave. Does that seem fair to you?

The exception to the rule is Scott Daloisio out west at The PAS. Hat's off to Mr. Daloisio!! When he requests everyone to stand for the 4 wide salute (I've begun to question whether that practice is still necessary but that's a subject for another day) he just as firmly tells people to set back down after it's over so everyone, regardless of their physical stature, can see and enjoy the racing. So far Scott is the only announcer that we've heard do this. Apologies to anyone else who does. Every race announcer in the country could learn from him.

Bottom line, if you PA announcers are going to incite and implore people to stand please take an additional 5 seconds to also incite and implore them to set back down afterwards. In addition, please don't incite and implore fans to stand for what might be a very exciting segment of the finish to a race. Shorter women and young people are just as anxious and excited to see the action as anyone else and that is impossible if everyone stands.

This has been going on for a while now and seems to be somewhat ingrained into the culture of people who attend entertainment events and probably won't make much difference but we tried and we feel better for doing so. It would be very cool if the sport we all love was the exception!

I know there are countless racing fans who's sentiments on this subject are similar to ours. Thanks to the promoters and PA announcers who took the time to read this. We'd ask you to please at least consider the above.

Becky & Kenny
Last edited by ISF; 8/9/19 at 2:34 PM.

8/9/19, 10:25 AM   #2
addictedtodirt

I'll add that a driver's nickname need not be announced every time their given name is mentioned. It gets old.

If you sit next to me, we can be friends right up to the point you proceed to stand up on the white flag, block my view (others too), and trying to win the race to the parking lot causing me, and others, to miss the last lap. That's when it gets ugly.

8/9/19, 10:27 AM   #3
Re: An Open Letter To Promoters and PA Announcers
ThePurple73

Amen ISF. Screaming and old heavy metal music seem to be synonymous with some announcers. Remember the days of Gary Gerould, Jack Miller, Gary Lee, Kirk Elliott. They actually said something and you learned something about drivers and cars. I like the guy that does or did Springfield and DuQuoin dirt champ races.

Actually USAC has pretty good announcers as does Perris.

Since I am paying $25-50 to watch races I want to see it and enjoy it. Even online!
Last edited by ThePurple73; 8/9/19 at 3:13 PM.

5 members like this post: ISF, oppweld, ronmil, Steve Wendel, tirespinner
8/9/19, 10:55 AM   #4
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

These posts seem to be based on the assumption that you can actually hear the PA announcers. That isn't the case at all to many tracks. Not saying that is a totally bad thing, however.

8/9/19, 11:23 AM   #5
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
These posts seem to be based on the assumption that you can actually hear the PA announcers. That isn't the case at all to many tracks. Not saying that is a totally bad thing, however.
Maybe announcing the finishing order after the cars have left the track instead of while they are roaring across the finish line

8/9/19, 11:58 AM   #6
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

As an announcer. I implore the fans to stand up for the salute and then enjoy the rest of the features in their seats. Everyone should be able to see the races.

Always give the starting lineup before cars hit the track. Always.

And always give a detailed finishing order. After every feature I do a full field rundown.

Anything i can do to enhance the experience.

8/9/19, 11:58 AM   #7
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I couldn’t agree more with the comment about standing for the start. Every announcer needs to tell everyone to sit down before the green flag is dropped. I rarely see the first lap or two of a feature because of the standees.

4 members like this post: dirt330, ISF, mc/rider, tirespinner
8/9/19, 2:08 PM   #8
chathamracefan

Johnny Gibson does this at the outlaw shows also. Thanks people for standing for the 4 wide and then asks all to sit down so everyone can see.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, PJ Wright
8/9/19, 2:20 PM   #9
Non wing lover

We was Terre haute for sprint week everyone stood up for the four wide salute after last row of cars past everyone sat down very respectful man what a crowd that night on another kokomo smack is near cmon fans let's pack the joint pack the house each night we can do it

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/9/19, 2:32 PM   #10
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non wing lover View Post
We was Terre haute for sprint week everyone stood up for the four wide salute after last row of cars past everyone sat down very respectful man what a crowd that night on another kokomo smack is near cmon fans let's pack the joint pack the house each night we can do it
A tip of the hat to the Terre Haute crowd but sadly not all race crowds are that considerate and respectful. The Little 500 and The Chili Bowl are prime examples of the contrast. It takes at least 12 to 15 laps or many more after the green flag drops at the Little 500 for the crowd to finally take a seat and then the last 20 or so laps they stand again. SMH. But at The Chili Bowl no one stands at the start or at the finish. At least in our section they don't.
Last edited by ISF; 8/9/19 at 2:39 PM.

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An Open Letter To Promoters and PA Announcers