IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Roll Bar Design
8/18/16, 8:37 PM   #1
Roll Bar Design
Blacki-Suede

Check out the roll bar design in this Leffler sprint car from back when. Small top opening, double roll bar hoop, a lot of head room, etc. I know it is a non-down tube chassis, but may be some "food for thought". BTW: That's Lee Kunzman in the seat.
Attached Images
image.jpeg (142.0 KB, 641 views)

2 members like this post: jim goerge, wrtracing
8/18/16, 9:09 PM   #2
Re: Roll Bar Design
chop

So it look like a old non -cage car with a bolt on cage. Also does it have a hand brake?

8/18/16, 9:20 PM   #3
Blacki-Suede

Only talking about roll bar design - Taller cage equals more head room, smaller top opening would be stronger if hit directly, etc. Leffler cars all had the same design, including internal cages. Don't want to get into "vintage" vs "current". That's a whole other subject.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Seadog
8/18/16, 9:52 PM   #4
Scooter

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: 50+

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-...rning-systems/

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/18/16, 11:48 PM   #5
wrtracing

Great picture. I love everything in the pic. Lee Kunzman, the Dunseth name and especially the guy in the STP jacket!

Thanks!

There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.

Christopher Morley

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
8/19/16, 9:13 AM   #6
Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Good article. Scroll down to see the wild MG land speed record car. Cool car, and notice the cage as well.

8/19/16, 11:05 AM   #7
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
So it look like a old non -cage car with a bolt on cage. Also does it have a hand brake?
When I first started going to races, the cars did have hand brakes and you had to pump pressure into the fuel tank. A driver was pretty busy in the cockpit. Seat belts and roll bars were just coming onto the scene. Some of the best racing ever back then. Unfortunately, too many of my heroes were lost on a regular basis. Thank God we don't have that as much any more.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, tirespinner
8/19/16, 4:58 PM   #8
Bad Dad 54

I'd like to see taller cages, have driver here that bolted on a halo onto the wing mounts, I wonder if the bolts will hold up. The car in the pic makes me wonder how you'd keep the tires outta the cockpit, w/ todays cocoon seats the tires would may get hung up Yep it's a horse we can beat on & try to come up w/ something

8/19/16, 5:42 PM   #9
hoscalecody

I know this will stir up stuff but this is my opinion no matter how safe you make a car stuff will still happen injuries and death is part of life I'm going to get hate about that statement since what just happened but BC, Josh Burton, and Jason Lefler's death really hurt me but we all know when we step into a car it could be the last time we ever breathe a breath in this world. When you add stuff to a car it's going to have a reaction like Halos I have one on my car it probably would slow a car down but it could also bend the bars on the ring down even more then if it was on. (I'm guessing that, that statement could be wrong but i have seen cars with halos bend the ring when landing on the halo. I personally think it's drivers choice on what safety they want to run, if they don't want to run a head and neck restraint, full containment seat or add bars to their car to make them "safer" then they don't have to. Look at Dave Darland he doesn't run a full containment seat he runs a normal seat with nets. Steve Kinser did that until they made a rule where you have to have a full containment seat I'm all for that if they feel comfortable doing that then let them. I'm sorry but not if I hurt your feeling with this post but it's my opinion and partially true.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 8/20/16 at 12:55 AM.

8/19/16, 7:47 PM   #10
Subaruboo

Jessie Hockett did not get killed in a race car,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Roll Bar Design