IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Modifieds no spoilers in 2015
10/3/14, 11:05 AM   #1
Modifieds no spoilers in 2015
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

At the UMP Fall Nationals at Eldora Speedway they announced in the drivers meeting last night no spoilers on the Modifieds in 2015 and possibly going to a 1 or 2 compound tire rule

10/4/14, 8:56 AM   #2
cleatziff

I enjoy the modifieds. But, the seem to have a lot of cautions for spins. Will taking the spoiler off increase this? What is the benefit of having or not having a spoiler?

10/4/14, 9:02 AM   #3
ByronMack

I think the biggest problem with all the spins in modifieds is the fact that a lot of the new drivers are coming up from bombers or super stocks and they're not used to the extra horsepower, cause it seems that once the newer guys are weeded out in the heats and consis, the more veteran guys usually put on a good show in the features. I can't really see the spoilers making all that much of a difference.

10/4/14, 6:01 PM   #4
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

Its an attempt to get rid of the big money big horsepower motors that are becoming more and more common in the modified. I believe there will be a rise in spins which sucks cause they put on a pretty good show I think.

10/4/14, 6:29 PM   #5
Re: Modifieds no spoilers in 2015
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Considering the number of teams I know that folded or are folding at the end of the year. Something needs done. Im not sure this rule is it however, Why not cut the tire size in half or something. Probably the cheapest solution, Drill out some rivets an race. But still, Don't know about this, seems like a crash fest will ensue.

10/4/14, 6:39 PM   #6
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

They run 8in tires on all 4 corners maybe a harder compound but making them smaller wouldn't be good.

10/4/14, 7:49 PM   #7
1021gpa

They need to put a wing on top not take spoilers away they need to hook these cars up not more Iess I think this is gonna make it worse as far as cautions

10/4/14, 8:53 PM   #8
Re: Modifieds no spoilers in 2015
Spi-nex

Anyone who believes a 5" spoiler will make ANY difference on a bull ring doesn't know a thing about Modified racing. Sure on the big half miles it will make a difference, but that's it. The same guys that are winning now will win without the spoiler.

Instead of the spoiler they need to START with these two options:
* 1 Single compound tire (preferably the IMCA G60 tire). Right now there are 3 compounds to choose from... way too many.
* Stop the influx of tricked out shocks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Modifieds no spoilers in 2015