IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Partial To A Specific Track???
12/12/22, 8:05 PM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

As something meant to be interesting and fun, just bc I'm curious as if some people can be honest and admit it, I ask the question...are you partial to a specific track? If so, what track? Why are you partial to the track? What would you do differently or like to see better with the said track?

I will start and say yes, absolutely. I am 120% partial to Kokomo Speedway. I personally think it's the best track in Indiana and I also think its top 5 tracks in the nation, under 1/2 mile. I feel this way bc I was born and raised 1.5 miles North of the Kokomo Speedway. I have lived and still do live within 2 miles of the track. I spent every race, every year, at Kokomo up until I was 13 years old and had my eye accident. That took me away from racing. In 2017, thanks to the business I own and operate, and thanks to my good friend Funk and The O'connor Family, I was hired for a serious situation that I successfully took care of promptly and ultimately that night in May got me back into racing and now I cant get enough of it. All at my home track, Kokomo Speedway. I also feel it's some of the best racing you can see, regardless of car class.

What I would love to see different and/or changed and it would be extremely extremely difficult and costly, would be for the pits to be bigger and the parking to be bigger. Interested to see others answers.

Let me add real quick too, there isnt a right or wrong answer to this. It's not meant to start ******** and drama. Just curious what people think and why. Happy Holidays.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 12/12/22 at 8:11 PM.

12/12/22, 8:19 PM   #2
Re: Partial To A Specific Track???
openwheelfan1

I’ll play. My favorite track is Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt. I grew up about 55-60 miles E of the facility. I first went there in (I believe) 1964, and attended races there sporadically until about 2008 when we began attending races there more regularly. The facility is always well painted and neat, the restrooms are clean, the food reasonably priced, the staff is friendly and the racing excellent. Most nights there the feature concludes between 10-10:30, which puts me back home 12:30 to 1:00 AM.

12/12/22, 8:22 PM   #3
DirtTrackTherapy16J

I like that answer and have heard alot of good about Haubstadt. Unfortunately I have never been there. It's tough for me to drive that far with working and/or working next day. Somehow I want to get there in 2023. I have also heard alot of good about the nearby meat market. I forget the name, but have heard lots of good about the whole area including the track.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 12/12/22 at 8:34 PM.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
12/12/22, 8:49 PM   #4
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Eldora. Best races. Love the drive to the track. Can’t wait for the next Million.

12/12/22, 8:55 PM   #5
cl124

Meat market you speak of is Dewigs. Haubstadt is mine but only due to proximity as I’ve grown quite fond of Kokomo over the last several years. Wish for haubstadt would be some multi day show or shows similar to smackdown and slightly less track work as the racing always seems to be better when they do.

12/12/22, 9:13 PM   #6
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl124 View Post
Meat market you speak of is Dewigs. Haubstadt is mine but only due to proximity as I’ve grown quite fond of Kokomo over the last several years. Wish for haubstadt would be some multi day show or shows similar to smackdown and slightly less track work as the racing always seems to be better when they do.
Yes that's the name of it!! Thank you, I'm getting old and my mind slips me lol...Funk and his buddies always tell me about it when they go to Haubstadt.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
12/12/22, 9:14 PM   #7
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
Eldora. Best races. Love the drive to the track. Can’t wait for the next Million.
Good answer there as well. Eldora or Port City would be my favorite out of state track!!

12/12/22, 10:27 PM   #8
RACrappieman

I’m very partial to Haubstadt. It’s the furthest track from me but I love going there. Very friendly place, great racing, great surface, great concessions, can’t think of a single negative. I recommend you go if you’ve never been.

4 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, Grocery Guy, oppweld
12/12/22, 10:37 PM   #9
beaner

My special track is Butler Motor Speedway. Quincy is my hometown and dad did some racing in the early days- 1950s. Fond memories of swinging in the park on a Saturday afternoon as all of the open trailer race cars pass by on the way to the track. I then have to get my parents or older siblings to head out to the track that night. Didn't miss many nights during the 1960s or '70s-A kid's dream every Saturday night. Continue visits today when I can. Remember the original Outlaws-WOO being there along with the many All-Star dates, late model shows, midgets, & USAC with wings I believe. Still the only track in Michigan running sprint cars on a weekly basis.

12/12/22, 11:01 PM   #10
flagboy55

Geography has a huge amount of impact in this question. Close tracks lead to frequent visits and deep ties. Two tracks I could say are both gone. The famous Santa Fe Speedway would probably be number 1 with 1A being Crown Point Speedway in the days when the OConnor family ran it, in spite of the fact we never raced on it when they had it, but did a lot previous to their involvement. Of active tracks, Terre Haute gets the edge. But I have to refer to an old saying of mine. Some tracks are better than others, but I can’t say I’ve been to one I hated. The Indy Indoor thing excluded

4 members like this post: beaner, BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J, oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Partial To A Specific Track???