Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar's Future
12/16/23, 10:44 PM   #11
Re: IndyCar's Future
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
At some point relatively soon, a series will go all electric. Win on Sunday sale on Monday still applies. GM stated vision is to have an all electric fleet by 2035.
Good luck with that.

12/16/23, 11:38 PM   #12
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Just make the Indy 500 a Silver Crown race. Problem solved.

12/17/23, 10:11 AM   #13
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post
Spot on, Charles.

I gave up on the Thunder Boats when the turbines replaced those thundering Merlins!

I remember standing on the bank 50 feet above the water and the ground literally shook. The turbines were faster and I realize the Merlin engines were getting hard to come by, but they lost me and my friends. In fact, that is around the time I really started paying attention to sprint cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
My sentiments almost spot on, before my tour in DC,I hardly missed the Regatta in Madison, and really enjoyed the Presidents cup in DC, my office and apartment were only a few blocks from the action, and of course we attended the 2 yrs we were there, the sound was what made it for me, the roost may be bigger, but the sound is not there, I had a friend who helped crew on Miss Madison, and he helped me get up close and personal with those real motors
Growing up in Detroit in the 60s, I can relate to your feelings quite well, men. There was nothing like the sound of those things.

Sounds aside, if you read the articles on racer.com, Some of the fans' comments were interesting.

Is Honda wanting to get out to spend more time, effort, and dollars on F1? What might GM do if they are eventually "allowed" into F1 with Andretti and eventually as an engine supplier? A third supplier is not an option right now.

It will also be interesting to see how this hybrid system performs early on in 2024 after the 500. If reliability rears its head, all of the teams have the same system. Hopefully this aspect of the formula will be a smooth transition.

1 member likes this post: Scott Daloisio
12/17/23, 11:43 AM   #14
dsc1600

IndyCar outside of the 500 is minor league Formula 1.

12/17/23, 12:52 PM   #15
TommyTipover

A spec engine is fine as long as the supposed cost savings result in much larger car counts. It’s absolutely pathetic that there are not 50+ cars attempting to qualify for the Indy 500.

5 members like this post: DaveP63, flagboy55, miledirt, PIT CART, racenut69
12/17/23, 1:29 PM   #16
The55

I don’t think it is necessarily GM’s vision to be all electric, it the governments vision for GM to be all electric. Consumers certainly aren’t there at this point.

12/17/23, 1:45 PM   #17
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Indy cars only option MILE DIRT

12/17/23, 1:55 PM   #18
Blackduce

I did not know a Detroit company builds the Chevy Indy car engine. And puts Chevy on the valve cover. And does anybody know who owns Ilmore? I think it started long ago in England. Alot of history here that affected racing.
Lynn

12/17/23, 3:08 PM   #19
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post
I did not know a Detroit company builds the Chevy Indy car engine. And puts Chevy on the valve cover. And does anybody know who owns Ilmore? I think it started long ago in England. Alot of history here that affected racing.
Lynn
Ilmor is a British independent high-performance motor racing engineering company. It was founded by Mario Illien and Paul Morgan in November 1983. With manufacturing based in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, and maintenance offices in Plymouth, Michigan, the company supplies engines and consultancy to the IndyCar Series and MotoGP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilmor

12/17/23, 3:34 PM   #20
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTipover View Post
A spec engine is fine as long as the supposed cost savings result in much larger car counts. It’s absolutely pathetic that there are not 50+ cars attempting to qualify for the Indy 500.
There seems to be more interest (in fielding a car) than engine leases available. Not 50+, but Honda & Chevy can barely supply the 33.

No matter what, racing is not like it used to be (when there was 55+ cars). It doesn't mean as much as it used to; to be part of smthn. There are more options to race in a division where people think they can win (countless sports car classes, etc).
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 12/17/23 at 3:35 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar's Future