IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute infield coolers
3/31/23, 3:36 PM   #21
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Cant you guys live without drinking beer for a few hours to see a race? At Terre Haute you can even go out to your cars and have one during the mods or during track prep. I'm having a hard time seeing why this always seems to come up and is made a big deal.
Probably about as long as someone spitting or lighting up a smoke.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, racenut69
3/31/23, 6:56 PM   #22
Re: Terre Haute infield coolers
Stevensville Mike

I would just like to say that John and I have chatted off-line here and all air has been cleared. A little poke here and a little jab there can lead to a big IOW dust up. Just as I and flagboy55 had a few years back. I now hold him in the highest of friendships after we noted and discussed our differences - which actually were not very many.

We are all in this together and at times we all see it from different points of view. But we are all seeing the same thing. I think Bob Dylan sang about something like that in "Tangled up in Blue"?

Anyways, John/Moe's passion for motorsports and my passion for sarcasm met head on and luckily no one was hurt in the collision. I have apologized to him and he vice versa.

Nonetheless, electronic handshake was made and we are both good. Please do not hold anything against him for his passionate comments and if I might ask, please do not hold any against me.

Although I will once again throw this flaming bomb out there: Can one bring in beer?

See, my original question, as amplified by my bud Rich a few posts ago, is THAT trying to schmooze the beer drinking fans by getting them to come to the track without telling them that beer cannot be brought in? Kind of like a shell game. Let's play to the masses until it is show time and then tell them "No".

But I will tell you one thing. Up here across the state line, pretty much every track in Michigan allows carry in beer. Always has. Ironic that as Indiana is going hard right conservative and Michigan is now rolling liberally left that this beer policy is how it is. Hartford and the late Jim Borland (RIP) tried stopping the beer carry in about ten years ago and the place damn near imploded. The Dibbles who own it now restored that policy and the place has a huge crowd weekly. Amazing what a little cooler/beer thing can do to boost attendance.

Mooch and I-96 tried that same crap, too, and well..... look where he left that mess to be untangled by whoever is trying to salvage that place now.

I have to agree with Charles here - Don't chip me. Ask me for more to come in, but don't chip me.

No. I do not want any track to fail and close. But if you start chipping me, I am out. And I am your dirt track fan. If you do not need me, fine. Go find some "new" dirt track fans. They are everywhere these days. Mostly in their 50s, 60s, and 70s.

But the case with me and John is hereby closed. We have settled out of court.

3/31/23, 7:20 PM   #23
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

a weekly race track will survive longer if they don't hassle the customer and let them pass smoothly with a cooler. alcohol also makes you hungry, it'll work out. fair boards are clueless and don't care about regular people.

4 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
3/31/23, 7:53 PM   #24
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
a weekly race track will survive longer if they don't hassle the customer and let them pass smoothly with a cooler. alcohol also makes you hungry, it'll work out. fair boards are clueless and don't care about regular people.
Being privately owned makes them even less concerned about the masses. No accountability.

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, tirespinner
3/31/23, 10:25 PM   #25
flagboy55

Always love when my friend from Stevensville shows up to the conversation. We all get smarter. And like he said, this is just a basic rules clarification. It’s two weeks away. Make a call. If you don’t drink, fine, why are you concerned? But those of us that do would like to know so we can prepare accordingly. Mike, should we get legal counsel to continue this thread?

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
4/1/23, 9:05 AM   #26
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Mike, should we get legal counsel to continue this thread?
No need for it. The fees are not worth it. It is easier to settle it over a beer.....

....or a pop.

Out of a fridge, or a cooler.

4/1/23, 9:15 AM   #27
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Well I think they still do it at Ball parks, I remember em doing it at Eldora. They used to have vendors who went around the stands selling Beer, Pop, Popcorn and peanuts.

BTW, MC/Rider is my legal council

4/1/23, 12:47 PM   #28
Rapid Rick

Salem is the only track I can think of that relied upon a healthy infield crowd to disallow coolers and beer. Didn't seem to work out very well for them. Shortly after we lost the James/O'Connor. Just saying infields are different.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/1/23, 12:48 PM   #29
Vookie

Can I bring a grill into the grandstand?

4/1/23, 2:12 PM   #30
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vookie View Post
Can I bring a grill into the grandstand?
Just the one you talk through

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute infield coolers