IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mike Lichty King of Wings Champion at Oswego
7/10/11, 8:35 PM   #1
Mike Lichty King of Wings Champion at Oswego
IndyBound

Tim Ice jumped out to the early lead and appeared to be cruising to an easy win while Mike Litchy was methodicly moving through the field from his eight starting spot in the Reed Salvage #8.

The 50 lap feature ran green to checkers in just under 15 minutes, Lichty was followed by Tim Ice in the 77, Timmy "J" (Jedrzejek) in the Soule 32, Trent Stephens in the 49, and Randy Ritskes in the 88. Randy was the top finishing Oswego regular to put a wing on. The day started out with 31 supers in the pits, 13 of them Oswego regulars that added a wing for the night. Oswego Speedway Champ, Otto Sitterly set fast time 15.368 followed by Trent Stephens 15.564 and Ray Graham 15.612.

Silver Crown driver Paul White's day ended early during warm ups when a wheel came off the "Sweet 16" and Paul ended up crashing into the foam blocks in turn one. Luckily Paul was all right but the car was done for the day.

For myself and many others attending "The Old Timers Reunion" weekend activities we had our breath taken away and a tear flowing from our eyes when new track owner Johnny Torresse paced the field in a repilca of Jimmy Shampine's famed 8 ball built by Steve Miller to start the feature.

Patti
Last edited by IndyBound; 7/10/11 at 9:10 PM.

7/12/11, 3:30 PM   #2
Re: Mike Lichty King of Wings Champion at Osw
Fontana180

You just have got to love racing at the Steel Palace!!!

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
7/12/11, 8:44 PM   #3
ASPHALT24

Glad you had a great time Patti. Things are sounding all positive at the Big O this year. I hear they have had some excellent crowds & most of the races have been barnburners. Great job Torrese family.

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
7/13/11, 9:55 AM   #4
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPHALT24 View Post
Glad you had a great time Patti. Things are sounding all positive at the Big O this year. I hear they have had some excellent crowds & most of the races have been barnburners. Great job Torrese family.
Kevin, sorry you, your Mom and sister couldn't attend this years fun, you were missed. You will all be impressed the next time you are in Oswego, while it has seemed strange not having a lap counter or score board the past two weeks half of the new scoring system was sitting in the pits waiting to be installed. A section and a half of the back grandstands had been repaired and repainted as of last Friday, it is a continuig work in progress. The Torresse family didn't just buy the race track, they bought it knowing they they were going to have to spend allot of money to restore it to it's former gorly and they are doing it. I cann't tell you when the last time I remember seeing the Oswego Speedway sign lite over the pit entrance, they got that working this week and combine that with the new pit entrance door with the great big reflective letters spelling out "The Steel Placae", it's impressive.

Then we move on to the racing action, car counts have been great, the need to run a consi for the supers on a weekly basis for the first time in years and you described it barnburner racing. It doesn't get any better than that. The crowds have been great, fans are coming back that haven't been there in years. Heck our entire former race team gathered in the Soule pits after the races it was the first time one of the couples had been to the track in 15 years.

The Torresse's are not only pouring a ton of money into the facility they are advertising there product in Canada, Waterton, Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo that I know of.

An for me personally having watched my second home track Manzy go away faster than a blink of ones eye I am on a high breathing in all of the positive energy surrounding Oswego Speedway right now. Because I really feard Oswego Speedway could have met Manzy's fate over the past two years, that fear is gone and we are all moving forward at the "Big O". Got to thank Eric over the weekend for all they are doing still need to see Johnny and thank him.

Patti

1 member likes this post: ASPHALT24
7/13/11, 9:47 PM   #5
ASPHALT24

Patti, thanks for your in-depth perspective on the re-birth of the Oswego Speedway. We were very sorry we could not attend this year. Please keep us informed as work progresses at the track as we approach Classic time. I hear they have RoC weekend coming up, and the Supermodifieds have been added to the weekend. Things are looking up. Talk to you later.

7/13/11, 10:32 PM   #6
IndyBound

Your welcome Kevin, both winged and non-wigned supers have been added to the Race of Champions weekend, ISMA and SBS are running Friday night and the Oswego regulars are running Saturday night along with all the mod classes that are running Saturday & Sunday.

Also forgot to mention they had a mid August Saturday night set aside as a rain date since there have been no rain outs they have added that date back into the schedule for a regular Saturday night show.

Hopefully next year at least one of USAC's pavement divisions will be added to Oswego's schedule.

Will keep you informed on the progress of all the improvements as long as I am in Oswego.

Patti

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mike Lichty King of Wings Champion at Oswego