IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting
11/23/14, 11:32 PM   #61
Re: king of the tqs meeting
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
I happen to have a one off R&P in my winters, it's a bit more than the 5.38 thats commonly available.
Mike too bad you can't go down low enough to make a motor work at 15000 rpms on those little race tracks.

I think I need to go to Alibaba and find a Chinese company to make some new 837 Honda Motors. I bet I could make a small fortune. I would probably sell them through Harbor Freight.

It ain't tradition after all, it is just plain old PROTECTIONISM. One time I was told they had to drive off of the crank to make them more safe, now the truth is out, actually what I thought all along. I would really like to race with a TQ, I have loved them since I was a kid, they are neat BUT.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/23/14 at 11:34 PM.

11/23/14, 11:43 PM   #62
badcoupe

I often wondered what it take to get new cases made that don't have the trans to begin with over in gool 'ol china. I bet if you bought a thousand of them it'd be cheap!

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/23/14, 11:53 PM   #63
DAD

Mike

Maybe we should take this Idea to the Shark Pit. Even better cast up a 4 valve head for them>>>>Nah that wouldn't work either>>>still got that tractor motor rev limit to deal with. Back in 1969 I don't thing they had the machines that could machine an engine that would work for very long at 15000 rpms.

So since we are going to China best stick with the old Honda. We could call it the "Hawk Clone motor".

Back in the old Quarter Midget days they tried to replace the Continental with the Deco, but is was never as good as a Continental, and it was made in the USA.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/24/14 at 11:20 PM.

11/24/14, 9:15 PM   #64
thebus79h

There is no way in hell that motor cost 18,000 dollars. If he did... I'd like to see the receipts.

I have a bad ass Kawasaki 636 on guhl injection, with exhaust and every thing else I'll make someone a hell of a deal at 9,000 if that's the case.

Tqs struggle because there is maybe three people that know how to make one run without owning stock in a rag or oil dry company. The micro and mini sprint deal works cause you don't have to be a machinist to make one work yourself.

Yes, ingenuity is cool as hell, but not everybody can do it.

2 members like this post: bn kleen, DAD
11/24/14, 10:08 PM   #65
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Dirt Bowl View Post
95% of Indiana TQ racers will say NO to changing engine rules. Trust me, I heard every one of those NO's just a couple years ago. The Honda 750 is still easy to get and plenty of parts available. People have been trying newer engines for years. It wasnt until this past season when one of the best TQ racers in Indiana tried a new engine, and had us all covered. This racer won a lot of races with the 750, but it just seemed easier for him to win with the new engine. The engine is a 2014 Kaw, built by Adams Racing from NC, and anybody can buy one If they have $18,000. I don't have that kind of $ to spend on a TQ engine. To keep the 750 competitive, the easiest and most affordable way would be to allow more CCs. We could go to 915cc with just a set of new pistons. Could try a weight break too. Don't count on any engine changes. Thats why there has only been a panel put together to EXPLORE new options. You can't really use the Florida TQs as comparison. FL TQs allow the 600s to use the transmission like a Kenyon car. East coast TQs run through the trans also.
Billy

That is what they say it costs to buy a super duper Adams racing Kawasaki. It is hard to believe one could find that much Titanium, ceramics and special castings, Maybe the money is for the name, I don't know. I do know that if I had that kinda of money to invest to win a TQ feature I could probably go another $3000.00 or so to have a smaller pitch ring and pinion machined so that I could get that illusive 16 to 1 ratio needed to win on the small tracks also.

See website http://www.adamsperformance.net/

http://www.amtechinternational.com/p...-manufacturer/

Me being kinda of DUMB would probably rather just find my ratio with the transmission already attached to my motor.

A lot of TQ's are reaching the age where they will qualify to run with the "Vintage Race Organizations" . When this happens and they start to run out of race cars they just might consider that line in the rules that makes newer motors non- competitive.

I doubt that anyone will offer a "Honda Hawk Clone" motor in the future.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/24/14 at 10:36 PM.

11/25/14, 12:51 AM   #66
trannyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by midget39 View Post
This is just my opinion but I think the motor rule should stay about the same (done think adding c.c. to the Hondas will help) with the exception of the c.c.rule for the newer motors New rule should be what ever a stock 650 comes from the factory so people dont have to spend a fortune on custom made rods,cranks,piston etc.basically buy a stock motor figure out how to mount it in car ,make it direct drive and go race ,also not a big fan of electronic fuel injection on these cars but hey if thats what it takes to advance the sport than what the heck ,I guess what I would like to see is a set of rule that are well thought out with rules that can be and will be enforced that don't make the older motors obsolete
Well said 39! and no electronic fuel injection. If people want it easy to buy parts,then by all means pick up your speedway mag and start buying your mini sprint parts. I hear their payouts are great! Funny how people on here that aren't presently involved,or very little,trying to change the way things are. That would be like me going to USAC and saying "you should be doing this and doing that".Not going to turn out so well.The biggest downfall for TQs was the split up of clubs,and it wasn't because of what engines to use! Let's focus on how to please the fans and get them back into our stands.Thats what will keep a series alive.

2 members like this post: Racer1039, sprint18
11/25/14, 1:35 PM   #67
TQ29m

I can agree with some of what you say here, but not the idea of going back to one organization, I began in 1991, and after about 3 races of the season, as soon as the new wore off, and we started getting further away from home, traveling, road trips, whatever, we had trouble, except local, having 12-16 cars, and that was it, then in the later 90's, we had a big surge of cars, as high as 65 some nights, and that was way too many, at the time I think 16 cars were the limit to start a feature, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that we were sending the majority of cars home, without anything but a qualifying lap, maybe a heat race, and maybe a semi, and that was it, I feel like when we had more choices of who and where to run with, we solidified the numbers we could count on, after all, at most tracks we are a support class, and 45 TQ's is hard to deal with, so I'm sayin I'm glad we now have a choice, it makes it more like some of the more followed classes, and more fans get exposed, seems like about every 5-8 years we have to reintroduce ourselves to our old fans, and break in some new ones, we're on a roll, lets not do anything to slow it or stop it. Bob!
Last edited by TQ29m; 11/25/14 at 1:36 PM. Reason: sp

11/25/14, 2:25 PM   #68
DAD

Bob

Agreed. Competition is a very good thing. It gets rid of the weak and builds up the strong. When organizations get into themselves and start making rules or decisions with the favored golden hair racers in mind, other racers seem to take offense and start looking for other ways to devote their efforts. I have seen this happen too many times in the past.

I understand your efforts to thwart the development of the newer engines. The Honda 750 had a very long run from 1969 to about 2003. There are a zillion of them out there many waiting to be found and raced.

The Mini Sprint people are starting to go down this same way of thinking, they now wanting to ban any motor that is less than two years old from racing, and some motors would be banned all together because "so and so" thinks they would be too fast and pose unfair competition. None of our motor have ever had the longevity of the 750 Honda and no other motor will probably ever live up to its record.

I always thought that we raced to improve the breed. To make things work better, faster, and maybe even last longer. I can not understand why people are so afraid of change if it is changing for the better. If an Engine, Race organization, chassis design, or even tire or wheel is not working up to a very high standards we need to replace it with something that does. Just to go along to be going along is against my nature and I apologize for venting on you TQ racers.

You have a very talented guy in charge right now and I am confident he will do what is needed to keep you guys on top and going strong.

I just tried to throw out a few what if's to get you guys thinking and get the old juices flowing.

I think they are almost boiling.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/25/14 at 2:29 PM.

11/25/14, 7:16 PM   #69
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Bob

Agreed. Competition is a very good thing. It gets rid of the weak and builds up the strong. When organizations get into themselves and start making rules or decisions with the favored golden hair racers in mind, other racers seem to take offense and start looking for other ways to devote their efforts. I have seen this happen too many times in the past.

I understand your efforts to thwart the development of the newer engines. The Honda 750 had a very long run from 1969 to about 2003. There are a zillion of them out there many waiting to be found and raced.

The Mini Sprint people are starting to go down this same way of thinking, they now wanting to ban any motor that is less than two years old from racing, and some motors would be banned all together because "so and so" thinks they would be too fast and pose unfair competition. None of our motor have ever had the longevity of the 750 Honda and no other motor will probably ever live up to its record.

I always thought that we raced to improve the breed. To make things work better, faster, and maybe even last longer. I can not understand why people are so afraid of change if it is changing for the better. If an Engine, Race organization, chassis design, or even tire or wheel is not working up to a very high standards we need to replace it with something that does. Just to go along to be going along is against my nature and I apologize for venting on you TQ racers.

You have a very talented guy in charge right now and I am confident he will do what is needed to keep you guys on top and going strong.

I just tried to throw out a few what if's to get you guys thinking and get the old juices flowing.

I think they are almost boiling.

Honest Dad himself
DAD, hope you aren't referring to me as being one that is trying to keep out the newer engines, I happened to be in the first of the line to step out of line, and come up with something from the newer lineup of engines, you seem to have me confused with someone who would like to see an all 750/836 Honda "club", of which I am not, I'm just trying to hold things together, so we can all race with some equity of competition, with a lot of exceptions, most anyone can build, or pay big bucks to have built, a track burner, but all that does is run off the guys that actually pay for them to have a place to race, why don't you look into the Hornet Series, or the Modifieds, maybe they would appreciate your diverse speculations, and leave the TQ groups alone, I know I'd appreciate it! Bob

11/25/14, 7:27 PM   #70
DAD

Bob

As you say>

Bill Jones

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting