IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC pavement sprint cars
9/15/10, 10:00 AM   #11
Re: USAC pavement sprint cars
LEADERS EDGE

I doubt Hoosier will sign off on that.

All of the customers and racers I speek with say that there are two dominating factors that keep them from either running or running more pavement midgets and sprints: tire costs and testing costs. The cost of cars and motors are never mentioned.

I had one rather large team tell me once that after finishing 7th at a West Coast show it felt like a win because of their tire rules that allowed only one set of tires for the night.(With exception of LR for stagger. As I understand it)It was so much cheaper for them they actually felt good when they left.

USAC and it's teams(Which is the only product they have to sell....sorry USAC; THE TEAMS ARE THE PRODUCT; NOT USAC) are so far apart in terms of wants and needs it is getting to the point that there may not be any saving it.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 9/15/10 at 10:17 AM.

5 members like this post: Geoff Kaiser, IndyBound, Ken Bonnema, mod4s, Pat O'Connor Fan
9/15/10, 10:08 AM   #12
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

30 years ago, Ted Johnson, a real promoter, came along and took national sprint racing away from USAC. Now, another real promoter comes along with MustSeeRacing, and does it again, this time with MidWest pavement sprint racing. What we need is a real promoter to start a for-profit traditional sprint series.

3 members like this post: JEFFSTOY, jim goerge, mowerman
9/15/10, 10:12 AM   #13
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1jackhewittfan View Post
just an idea maybe mandate that everybody uses the new chevy ls motor that ron shaver is building and find cheaper tires that will last longer and up the weight min to 1600 lbs would cut down on a lot of the high end light weight parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know where you have been. I have a sprintcar, non-wing 410. I do not have any titainium. My car weighs 1190 lbs no fuel, yes water and yes oil. my driver weighs 165 lbs. If you include the driver I would still have to add more than 200pounds

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/15/10, 10:18 AM   #14
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
I don't know where you have been. I have a sprintcar, non-wing 410. I do not have any titainium. My car weighs 1190 lbs no fuel, yes water and yes oil. my driver weighs 165 lbs. If you include the driver I would still have to add more than 200pounds
my bad i dont have your sprint car in front of me on scales. was just throwin ideas out.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/15/10, 10:25 AM   #15
sprinter25

No more separate series/cars, USAC must force teams to race the same type of car on dirt and asphalt. As it stands now, only the points chasers(Jones, Gardner, and a few others) have the $$$ to compete on the asphalt. But there's no way that any of the asphalt cars come close to even breaking even for their teams.

Yes, I know that almost all race teams lose money...but why buy/build a pavement car for four or five races and spent another $60K - when you don't have to? Most race teams have to live within a budget!

1 member likes this post: racephoto1
9/15/10, 10:44 AM   #16
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
30 years ago, Ted Johnson, a real promoter, came along and took national sprint racing away from USAC. Now, another real promoter comes along with MustSeeRacing, and does it again, this time with MidWest pavement sprint racing. What we need is a real promoter to start a for-profit traditional sprint series.
I am very impressed with the effort made in their first season. I am also impressed with the effort made by Spartan Speedway. This can only help winged or non winged pavement racers.

1 member likes this post: team3521
9/15/10, 12:19 PM   #17
Graham08

I made it to Spartan for their last race. I think the biggest thing they're doing right is running the M55 right rear tire. I spoke to a front running car owner, and he said his average tire bill is $175 per night, with the start money being $250. If you don't crash or break, it is almost a break-even proposition for the night...which is a lot more reasonable than having to finish the feature in 3rd or 4th to cover your operating expenses.

They are getting two nights out of a right rear tire with no falloff in performance.

No wings, and a short track also help guys to be competitive without going broke. I am hoping to get my ducks in a row and be a participant rather than a spectator there next year.

9/15/10, 12:39 PM   #18
LEADERS EDGE

In order to build a car that would be competitive in USAC for both Pave and Dirt, then a team would be forced to build another dirt car for local/MSCS type races. It's not as easy as it sounds to say that you would just use the same car.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
9/15/10, 1:01 PM   #19
bgerster

Hang in there Scott. So far your posts have been very accurate.

bg

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
9/15/10, 4:19 PM   #20
Pavement Dave

Everyone needs to look outside of the box and not be so dejected if USAC pulls the plug on pavement racing. This will not be like the 1980's this time around. Pavement Sprint Car Racing is alive and well in virtually every corner of the country right now. The Little 500 is experiencing good numbers and the Must See Racing Series is bringing these cars exposure. There have been so many pavement clubs emerge all accross the country in the last 10 years it is rediculous. I would be suprised if USAC pulls the plug. They just need to quickly regroup and do whats best for the owners and promoters in these tough economic times. These folks are ultimately the ones paying the bills and keeping it alive.
Last edited by Pavement Dave; 9/15/10 at 4:45 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC pavement sprint cars