IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Morgan County format clarification
5/23/09, 11:05 AM   #1
Morgan County format clarification
illiNOISE

In light of Mike Hess' victory lane comment last night about how we "switched" the front row of the sprint feature last night, I felt we should clarify the rule. The fastest qualifier automatically starts the pole of the feature if they run in the top 3 of their heat race. The fastest qualifier--and only the fastest qualifier-- essentially "gets their time back."

In the sprints, the #71 of Mike Hess won the first heat, while fastest qualifier Hud Cone (7x) won the 2nd heat. So if we line them up "straight up" off the heat results, the 71 would be on the pole, with the 7x outside the front row. But since the 7x had fast time, that's why we "switched" front row.

The application of this rule was perhaps more obvious last night in the modified division, where the #22 of Ryan Blakeman set fast time, then ran 2nd in the third heat race. So instead of starting outside the 3rd row (6th), he started on the pole.

For example, here's how the first three rows of last night's mod feature would've lined up if we line them up "straight up" off the heat race results.

7s-41g
72-00
93v-22

We move the #22 to the pole, then "shift" everyone else over one spot. So that yields a first three rows of:

22-7s
41g-72
00-93v
Last edited by illiNOISE; 5/23/09 at 11:27 AM.

5/23/09, 12:18 PM   #2
Re: Morgan County format clarification
MHess

I didn't need a clarification as to why the front row was switched. If you listened to what I said, the lineup at the pitshack showed me on the pole. I know how the races are lined up and fully expected to start on the outside until I went and looked at the lineup to double check where I started and to my surprise, I was listed on the pole. I tried to line up there and got switched to the outside. Thanks to Billy and Kim West for running the sprint cars. Hope I have my car out for the MSCS race.

5/23/09, 1:31 PM   #3
Re: Morgan County format clarification
illiNOISE

Mike, I didn't really mean to single you out presonally. I just thought I'd use last night's situation with you and Cone to help illustrate the rule.

Congrats on another great run.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Morgan County format clarification