IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > In Appreciation of an Era
8/28/08, 8:29 PM   #1
In Appreciation of an Era
Stan Don It

This Sunday at Du Quoin should mark a celebration of an Era in our sport. I hope Johnny Parson takes it to the top and blows them all away, and he may well do this. J.P.'s final race marks the end of an era and we should all appreciate this as well as what he has brought to all race fans. Johnny is a gentleman and is a role model to the young drivers in racing today.
This Sunday marks the last lap of an era. Our racing today is just as exciting and enjoyable as ever but in today's world of mail order cars and pieces and 53 foot trailers we need to recognize what the drivers of Johny's era accomplished. We have many great young drivers today but how would many of them stack up to Gary B, Larry Dickson, Larry Rice, Steve Chassey, Tom Bigelow, Sheldon Kinser, Pancho, Mel Kenyon, Rich Vogler. Billy Engelhart, Bubby Jones, Lee Kunzman, Jan Opperman and the last of that era J.P. Thanks for all the years and if any of those kids give you a hard time Sunday offer them a perfect slider and feed them a tear off.

8/28/08, 8:42 PM   #2
Re: In Appreciation of an Era
dirtywhiteboy

This is indeed a very very sad day to find out Johnny Parsons is retiring. I forgot to take a picture with me to Springfield to have him autograph it. Really wish I would have now.

Johnny, you are a top notch driver and Springfield will not be the same next year without you in that red and white #43.

:respect: You have earned that and much much more. Thank you for all the years of fun and even without intent the moments of heartbreak all fans go thru when their favorite driver has a bad day.

8/28/08, 9:06 PM   #3
Pat O'Connor Fan

I have watched JP race in five different decades. I guess that means neither of us is a spring chicken. Watching Parsons in the Lockard "Will County Auto Wreckers" Lindblad Badger (on pavement, of course) ranks high in my memories of JP's racing.

8/28/08, 9:15 PM   #4
sprntr

[QUOTE=dirtywhiteboy;60921] I forgot to take a picture with me to Springfield to have him autograph it. Really wish I would have now.QUOTE]

You'll be there Sunday. right?

8/28/08, 9:52 PM   #5
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan View Post
I have watched JP race in five different decades. I guess that means neither of us is a spring chicken. Watching Parsons in the Lockard "Will County Auto Wreckers" Lindblad Badger (on pavement, of course) ranks high in my memories of JP's racing.
I remember that car well, especially at IRP.

8/28/08, 10:01 PM   #6
dirtywhiteboy

[QUOTE=sprntr;60929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
I forgot to take a picture with me to Springfield to have him autograph it. Really wish I would have now.QUOTE]

You'll be there Sunday. right?
Very unfortunate for me I have to work Sunday night. If I could somehow possibly make it I would be there. Sadly my last memory of Johnny at the track will be the Tony Bettenhausen 100 where he autographed that piece of bumper off his car for me. I wished I had seen him win one in person.

8/28/08, 10:26 PM   #7
sprntr

[QUOTE=dirtywhiteboy;60949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post

Very unfortunate for me I have to work Sunday night. If I could somehow possibly make it I would be there. Sadly my last memory of Johnny at the track will be the Tony Bettenhausen 100 where he autographed that piece of bumper off his car for me. I wished I had seen him win one in person.
Call me - 612-590-1324 Steiny

8/29/08, 8:05 AM   #8
sprntr

[QUOTE=dirtywhiteboy;60949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post

Will you be at the Midget race Saturday night at DuQuoin?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > In Appreciation of an Era