IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting Twitter Question
9/22/11, 3:55 PM   #31
Re: Interesting Twitter Question
Texan

Texas Motor Speedway Dirt Track. A 4/10 mile speed plant that I'm sure a few of our locals would partake in (such as Travis Riliat, Baldacini, Ramey and others) as well.

Make it the same weekend as the Indy race and you have a winner.

9/22/11, 4:33 PM   #32
LocalYokel

I agree that USAC is a national level organization, and idealy they should conduct themselves as such. Unfortunately due to the economy, and the costs involved in general I don't see this happening any time soon.
More races further away from the midwest simply means more money being spent by the teams. Few teams can afford to travel more than once a month, let alone commit to an entire touring schedual. If USAC tried to expand away from the midwest and the few occasional "swings", the car count would be anywhere from 6-12 regulars at the most. Now if they started paying purses on par with the WoO this would change things considerably. I don't forsee that happening anytime soon.
I the meantime I think adding more races in the midwest at some of the tracks mentioned as a great step in the right direction.

I do like Bills idea also, something similar to how UMP runs things. Serveral regional series that run for a national points championship, and ocassionaly running a few big races where all regions are included.
These races could be the already established marquee events, like the 4-Crown, Belleville, Turkey Night, Sprint Week, and the Western World.
Last edited by LocalYokel; 9/22/11 at 4:36 PM.

9/22/11, 5:13 PM   #33
frenchfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
Gonna throw this out there...

I know this idea would be VERY difficult to achieve but what about taking the current "NATIONAL" USAC Sprint Car Series and have it travel to all corners of the nation with several stops in between.

A National Series... Similiar to WoO.(Single events) and then several regional USAC sprint car series that are located in several parts of the country... maybe something similiar to how UMP does the track santioning?

The local tracks could operate just like they do now, but they would carry a USAC sanction and a regional point fund. This format seems to work for UMP.

If you grow a regional series, you've then got more support for a traveling national series.

Just an idea.

:99::
That's the best idea I've read in here yet! I also agree with LocalYocal, the purses are not even close to where they need to be for such an elite series.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Woops..LocalYokel

1 member likes this post: LocalYokel
9/22/11, 6:16 PM   #34
UpOnDaCushion

Just think this would be a cool point week to add since we already run knoxville and osky every year. USAC went to Burlington last year and it was a good race to watch with great facilities, and superb track conditions. It would be cool to see this turn into a week long points race like the eastern storm and indiana sprint week. All tracks are near in location and with USAC coming to town i'd think the crowds would be up to par. Just an idea and something that i personally would love to see happen.

HAWKEYE NATIONALS?!
34 Raceway(Burlington, IA) 1/2 mile
Lee County Speedway(Donnelson, IA) 3/8 mile
Southern Iowa Speedway(Oskaloosa, IA) 1/2 mile
Knoxville Raceway(Knoxville, IA) 1/2 mile
Hamilton County Speedway(Webster City, IA)1/2 mile
Independence Motor Speedway(Independence, IA)3/8 mile
Last edited by UpOnDaCushion; 9/22/11 at 6:17 PM. Reason: typo

9/22/11, 6:30 PM   #35
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnDaCushion View Post
HAWKEYE NATIONALS?!
Independence Motor Speedway(Independence, IA)3/8 mile
You can add Boone into the mix,and further west to Husets , Eagle and Thunderhill in Mayetta Kansas.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
9/22/11, 7:52 PM   #36
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

To bad the old Santa Fe Speedway that was located on the southwest side of Chicago isn't around any more. Best track I ever went to period. I'd say USAC should go back there if the track was still open. Call the race the Midwest National Non-Wing Open with all 3 of USAC top series
USAC Silver Crown Series
USAC National Sprint Car Series
USAC National Midget Car Series

9/22/11, 10:47 PM   #37
mcweld

Race Count This Year: 3

HAWKEYE NATIONALS?!
Independence Motor Speedway(Independence, IA)3/8 mile[/QUOTE]

They could add Rock Rapids Ia to that list they already run traditional sprints there on Friday night.

9/23/11, 12:58 AM   #38
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

Il, Midget week would be cool.Run 4 nights or so around the Springfield Mile race. Would like to see the Copper on Dirt come back maybe at the end of the year. Week b4 or after the ovals. Would like to see the Silver Crown at Perris. Maybe a year end Deal. Run Midgets/Sprints/SC In a 3 day deal to wrap up the year at one track. Maybe Get more dates in FL at the start of the year like 5 or 6 nights. Also maybe get the Midgets also running in FL.
Last edited by Fred Zirzow; 9/23/11 at 1:00 AM.

9/23/11, 8:24 AM   #39
Tief

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
I would love to see the USAC sprinters back in WI, Wilmot, Beaver Dam (1/3 mile), Plymouth and 141 all would put on great shows for the nonwingers.
Ditto this. I too would LOVE to see sprint cars back in Wisconsin. There are two great dirt tracks in Beaver Dam literally only a couple of miles apart. The 1/3 mile high bank mentioned here and also a rather flat 1/2 mi at Dodge County Fairgrounds (IRA winged sprints run there a lot). *Plenty* of room for camping at the fairgrounds. Would make an awesome doubleheader. Sun Prairie is only 30 min down the road. USAC sprints have put on a decent show there as well. Friday night at Beaver Dam, Saturday at Dodge County and Sunday night at Sun Prairie with the Badger midgets. Man, that would make my summer.

9/23/11, 8:40 AM   #40
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
A couple of races up in Michigan would be a good additions.
I'd have to disagree. There's only one track that has the prep figured out and it's 3 hours from the state line and DIEHARD "tin top" country and that's Winston. Ever grabbed a couple of clods of clay at any of the Michigan tracks? It's 50% sand 50% clay... I don't know where Tom Sprague got his clay but the sand content is minimal.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting Twitter Question