IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four heat races, really!!
7/22/23, 11:13 AM   #1
Four heat races, really!!
EldoraMark

It was great to see 58 cars at GC but very disappointed with only 4 heats. I was outraged if some of u know what I mean by that. I know what USAC will say " this is how we always did it" They can make adjustment to 3 heats when the car count is low so why can't they make a adjustment to 5 or 6 heats. It's very difficult for a driver that is at the tail end of a 15 car heat to have a chance to advance to the A feature.

7/22/23, 11:26 AM   #2
Re: Four heat races, really!!
leftrear

So you run 5 heats and take 3 for the feature and start 12 in each heat ? last man has to pass 9 cars to advance. Take 7 from the b.

Run 6 and take 3 you have to pass 7 cars but only take 4 from the b.

There is no good answer its give and take. More heats more time more track degradation.

5 members like this post: Bill Angel, oldfan49, oppweld, RacinBabe, tirespinner
7/22/23, 11:26 AM   #3
kb78

I understand what you are saying, but my opinion is that it is part of the lure of sprint week. You have a ton of capable cars here and to be up front in the feature you have to be good everytime you hit the track, you have to be good in time trials, the heat, and the feature. Some very good cars and drivers were left out last night because they had one bad session. I also like the fact that you end up with at least two or three absolute studs in every heat, the more heats you have the more the field waters down.
Just like Eldora for the Royal, you have about five absolute studs in the field and six heats. You are lucky to have two of them in the same heat and it becomes anti climatic sometimes. Besides, I am not convinced that it is that much easier to get to the top three from ninth than it is to get to fourth from 14th. The math says it is I guess, but that is my opinion for what it is worth.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oldfan49, oppweld, tirespinner
7/22/23, 11:47 AM   #4
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

So why not run 5 heats taking the top 4.And 4 cars from the b main.Usac is the only major sanctioning body who doesn't start 24 cars.I know they started 24 last night but 2 were Usac provisionals.

5 members like this post: Hubie48, Kansasdirtfan, oppweld, skids59, TNRustler
7/22/23, 11:59 AM   #5
kb78

Again, I'm not sure why you have be like the other series. I do not want to see double file restarts and straight up starting races like the other series. I am not sure who didn't get into the feature last night that you thought should be there?
I guess we could take a page from Late model racing, we could have 8- 8 car heats and take two cars from each and then we could have 8 b-mains and take 1 from each for a 24 car field. For the record, I don't like it when they go to three heats either.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
7/22/23, 12:16 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Get your money for nothin.. And your chicks for free..

4 members like this post: Bostonian, mtek56, PIT CART, RacinBabe
7/22/23, 12:52 PM   #7
RacinBabe

This is auto racing. Not an event where we give participation ribbons. Get up on the wheel. Mash the loud pedal. And hang on to your sack!

As Al Bundy would say, Let’s Rock!

7/22/23, 12:59 PM   #8
Sandy Lowe

They could always take qualifiers 33-58 and stagger them into two Non-Qualifiers races transferring the top four out of each to the tail of the heats. That would give you four 10-car heats, a 24-car B Main, and a 22-car feature. Wait, we've already tried that.

7/22/23, 1:42 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I wasn't a big fan of the Hooligans. putting everything over 32 cars on the trailer after six or eight laps. was mucKih less satisfying than theym at least getting two, three or four races to try to make it.

Qualify bad and have a flat in the hooligan, Load up, you're done.
Kinda like the old Turkey Night was. The top 22 qualifiers make the feature and the rest load up.

1 member likes this post: Midget98
7/22/23, 1:44 PM   #10
flagboy55

Hey Mark, let’s cool the outrage, lol. I don’t think it was perfect but I have no complaints. You could make a valid argument for multiple scenarios. Overall, 58 cars were great and big hat shake to everyone team that signed in!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four heat races, really!!