IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wisconsin WingLess Sprints. Thoughts.
7/9/23, 3:38 PM   #1
Wisconsin WingLess Sprints. Thoughts.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Wisconsin WingLess Sprints.

Thoughts

Whatever they do to keep the competition close with the rules. I might be more of a so-called tin top fan, but I absolutely love it.

Last night I went to Wilmot Raceway for the World Of Outlaws Sprint Car Series show and it was fantastic. The show also included the Wisconsin WingLess Sprints & the IRA Lightning Sprints.

32 World Of Outlaws Sprint Cars
24 Wisconsin Wingless Sprints
23 IRA Lightning Sprints

The feature in all 3 races were great.

The competitiveness with the Wisconsin WingLess Series is really good. I am somewhat surprised another track hasn't tried to start a division like this with the exact same rules.

Not sure if a division like this would work in Indiana at a track like Montpelier, Shadyhill, or any other track across the U.S., but it's awesome to see them get a full field every night. I'd love to know what the standard payout is for them each week.

It looks like they average about 35 or cars on a regular race night which is really good considering the economic times we live in.
I am kind of surprised no other track has pickup up this division in their region. Understandably it may not work in some areas because fans love a certain type of races cars rather it be fender cars or open wheel cars. Why not try and give it a shot.

The wingless feature last night was really good with passing all though out the race and finished with a past lap pass down the back stretch going into turn 3.

ALSO props to the track prep crew at Wilmot. They absolutely f'ing nailed it to a T.

Panoramic View just before the features started.

IRA Lighting Sprint Feature

Wisconsin WingLess Sprint Feature

World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series Feature
Last edited by nathans1012; 7/9/23 at 3:58 PM.

7/9/23, 4:22 PM   #2
Re: Wisconsin WingLess Sprints. Thoughts.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

They ran against USAC a couple weeks ago and had about fourty Also seen em at Gas City and they had a huge count. This is what Im talking about as a entry class. However I think they're about a hundred hp down from what they should have. I say this because to go forward it looked like drivers had to drive beyond the cars capabilty. Such as hold it on the floor and rip the lip. thus causing several flips.

I believe they're a 604 motor class which is about 500hp. I'd preffer about 6-650hp that way you'd get some wheelies and response in the pedal

Most of the pavement sprints aren't running 900hp+ monsters and I don't think other than qualifying it's ever used in heat and feature racing. But the motors are expected to last 60-80 races between rebuilds.

That being said, They had a following, WHen I went to Gas City, There were several groups of fans that came down from Wi. to watch.

I generally just don't like the cratemodels or these, Just not enough power to break the wheels loose and rip. Gaining is like half a car per lap on the car in front. I could be wrong and often am. Just my view as of now.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/9/23 at 4:24 PM.

4 members like this post: cornerthree, Midget98, nathans1012, oppweld
7/10/23, 12:06 AM   #3
jdull99

Keep the HP where its at...I continue to say its kinda like a Silver Crown style of sprint car racing...it needs to be different, or u might as well just have 410s...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: dkdorkboy, John P Huss
7/10/23, 6:30 AM   #4
weeds

Thanks for the compliment.
I am the tech inspector for the Wisconsin wingless sprint series.
it just so happens that I will be retiring and moving back down to central Indiana in the near future.
Will be looking for something to do when I get down there so if there is any interest in doing this in Indiana let me know.
604 crate engines with a strong tech program.

7/10/23, 7:51 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds View Post
Thanks for the compliment.
I am the tech inspector for the Wisconsin wingless sprint series.
it just so happens that I will be retiring and moving back down to central Indiana in the near future.
Will be looking for something to do when I get down there so if there is any interest in doing this in Indiana let me know.
604 crate engines with a strong tech program.

Thanks for the response, If you could give some more info on the class. Like motor suppliers, cost and general life expectancy of motors. Tire compounds etc. That would be great.

I believe Plymouth when it was dirt tried to get A 604 sprint class going but didn't get the support they were looking for.

7/10/23, 9:43 AM   #6
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Thanks for the response, If you could give some more info on the class. Like motor suppliers, cost and general life expectancy of motors. Tire compounds etc. That would be great.

I believe Plymouth when it was dirt tried to get A 604 sprint class going but didn't get the support they were looking for.

They did. The class at Plymouth was a 604 wing sprint. Had it been a non-wing sprint with the same rules Wilmot had I think the division might have had a chance to take off and succeed.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, oppweld, PIT CART
7/10/23, 12:07 PM   #7
weeds

The class at Plymouth was a 602 crate engine with wings and it was just not a good combination.
This wingless series is a 604 crate that is allowed to be freshened within the specs of the 604 crate engine manual.
We run the same tires as the IRA but I suppose in Indiana they could run the same as USAC.
Spec is a 650 CFM carb from ATM innovations and a 6700 RPM rev limitWeight rule of 1500 pounds tech is rugged. We pump, Whistle, Check valve springs, lifters, fuel etc.
we only had 24 cars this week because the outlaws only wanted our top 24 in points.

7/10/23, 1:29 PM   #8
kendirt

If I were going to start a new non-wing Crate class I'd look hard at using CT525s.

Cost vs. HP vs. Reliability there's not much on par with an LS-based engine.

7/10/23, 3:49 PM   #9
weeds

I agree the horsepower is more but so is the costs.
The 604 crate can run more races that the CT motor before needing freshening and there is a very detailed manual for the 604 complete from torque specs to part numbers for everything along with baseline procedures for rebuilding and inspecting.
I still think something like this would take off down there.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
7/10/23, 6:25 PM   #10
cmiracingvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds View Post
I agree the horsepower is more but so is the costs.
The 604 crate can run more races that the CT motor before needing freshening and there is a very detailed manual for the 604 complete from torque specs to part numbers for everything along with baseline procedures for rebuilding and inspecting.
I still think something like this would take off down there.
As long as there is a good tech person in place and tech is properly and efficiently handled. With all those rules comes a lot of grey area seekers. Aren’t the crate engines sealed? Serial numbered?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wisconsin WingLess Sprints. Thoughts.