IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question........
7/23/13, 5:35 PM   #21
Bradleyracing86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickMead#13 View Post
And this makes me really think. Do I go ahead and put new rings in my 1127 and finish out the year or do I scrap this year and the engine and save for a 1000 for next year and beyond. I'm a shoe string buget guy...lol Some good discussions have been going on. Just hope the powers that be work something out for everyone's sake.

How much to freshen the 1127?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

7/23/13, 5:44 PM   #22
Re: Lightning Sprint Question........
Bradleyracing86

Phil when I said every mini sprint I was kinda vague. I'm on the same page as you on working towards a completly stock 1000 limit. I'm just saying get all these guys together, and see what we have. For instance many cars in our neck of the woods are match ported and polished. Many cars out in our area and Ohio are missing crank balancers.. I'm not meaning let 1070 stroker motors come out and make everyone look slow. Money will bring the cars but in the same since if you push the money through the field one guy won't be cashing out and running, and at the same time all these different cars and owners can get together and learn more about what rules are worthy and will be able to be enforced.
It would be nice to see guys like Harvey, Hench , Larry Fause, Mike from Hyper, Wayne Davis, Bill May, Jerry Tauge... As well as the racers who keep these guys in business sit and plan a direction for this sport.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/23/13, 6:19 PM   #23
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
it'll be in the 350 range. i'm just having issues finding rings. its been bored and nobody knows what brand pistons they are.

7/23/13, 6:21 PM   #24
PatrickMead#13

ironically, i have a fresh 07 gsxr600 sitting behind me in my office as we speak that if it would be competitive, it would be going in the car....lol
Last edited by PatrickMead#13; 7/25/13 at 10:50 PM.

7/24/13, 4:42 PM   #25
TQ29m

You'll never know til you "hook er up", beats sittin at home with a broke motor you can't find parts for, hell, you might like it, I'm happy with my 600 Yamaha against the 836 Honda's, it's usually a top 5 car, and a whole lot cheaper. Bob

7/25/13, 7:37 PM   #26
Quantrill

MALS has started off strong this season thanks to our local racers. As Phil has indicated we would like to close out our season with a $1000 to win race. On Aug. 30 there is a $750 to win winged race in the Kansas City area at Valley Speedway which is 3 hr west of St. Louis. Grain Valley Speedway is a ¼ mile track. MALS may have an opportunity to race the next night approximately 1hr west of St. Louis on Aug. 31st for $1000 to win on roughly the same size track. We need to know pretty quickly how many travelers we can count on if we are able to book the Aug. 31st date? So you could come to Missouri and race the Labor Day weekend for $1750 to win over two nights. plus some would be eligible for our tow money incentive also. If you don’t want to post on here that you would be interested in coming you can email or call Phil his contact information is at the start of this thread on page one. We would allow MMSA rules at this event.

7/25/13, 8:40 PM   #27
dorsettracing10

Ambrose have the rite rule!!! Open the motor rules to whatever they want inside 1000cc and put us on hard tires ! Sp3 rr d 12 or harder ... That way motors don't matter !

Posted via Mobile Device

7/25/13, 9:02 PM   #28
Quantrill

Drew,,, does that mean your in our out for this labor day weekend special if it happens?

7/25/13, 10:15 PM   #29
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

There are MANY ways to allow EVERYONE to compete....this is my National/Winternational rules....one way is this one note that allows everyone to compete

NOTE: IN THE EVENT THAT SOMEONE DECLARES THEY HAVE A "BUILT ENGINE" prior to said event, they will be required to run a SP-4 Hoosier or equivalent and the HEAVIEST allocated weight for MC engine powered car.....

2013-2014
Division II Midget Rules

SPECIFICATIONS "No titanium anywhere on car"

ENGINE -- Engine shall be limited to following engines that fits into a midget or lightning/mini sprint. The rules are structured to allow a lack of traction to balance the playing field. If any engines prove detrimental to competition and the spirit of sportsman midget racing, a restricted program or other (such as HARDER RR tire and/or weight) may be instituted.

MIDGET ENGINES
• Any Chevy (Ecotec) or Ford (focus) Quad 4 inline 4 cyl. configuration. No larger then a 2.4 litre. Must have STOCK FACTORY internal parts from valve cover to oil pan, with factory casting #'s...... Exception is the 2.2 ecotec chevy engine will be allowed to run the stage III Comp Cam to increase the HP to the 2.4 equivalent.
A. Engine offset is limited to a maximum of one (1) inch, two (2) inches overall, from the chassis centerline as measured at the centerline of the crankshaft.
B. Engines must be mounted on the centerline of the chassis and the crankshaft must be parallel to the bottom plane of the chassis.
C. Only torque tube type drivelines, utilizing only one u-joint, will be allowed, the torque tube must be one solid piece. A torque tube hoop or strap is mandatory.
D. The driver shall be seated directly behind the engine; drivers head can be no more than one (1) inch off center line of roll cage, measured at center line of seat to top of driver’s helmet when seated in an upright position.

NO “national class” race engines, engines that qualify under the rules/guidelines of USAC, ARDC, Poweri, etc., or are produced or built by a/any major race engine builder, ie., Gaerte, TRD Toyota, Esslinger, Pink, Fontana, new style Chevy, Stanton MOPAR, etc. STOCK ENGINES ONLY

The current approved engines are the General Motors 2.3 and 2.4 “Quad 4” engines, Chevy Ecotec, USAC Ford 2.0 Z-tec Focus engine. The Division 2 Midget Series must approve all other engines. Any new engines must fit the following requirements:

ANY ENGINE THAT PRODUCES MORE THE 200 "STOCK" HP is not allowed.

MOTORCYCLE ENGINE
4-Cycle motorcycle engine with a Minimum 600cc. and Maxium of 1206cc. Maximum 6-inch offset; measured C/L of motor to C/L of frame.

No after market internal parts, nor lightening of stock parts." "The only modifications allowed are (1) Milling the head, (may save a warped head) (2) degreeing cams", all other deviations from stock (bolts,springs,removing parts, etc) will require written approval from the SSM. Anything else done to the engine it will be considered "BUILT" (see note)

Both ENGINE Car and motorcycle General Rules

ALL NON SEALED ENGINES will have headers and Intake remove for possible head work if you finish in the top 3...Also if you have a top 3 finish 3 straight any non sealed engine will have to remove cam cover, spark plugs and oil to have cam/pistons/rods scoped
No engine can excide 230 lbs compression.

• Electric self-starting engines – Must be able to start in a neutral position at all times and must be able to be "BUMPED STARTED"

• FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM Naturally aspirated: carburetors or fuel injection. Fuel injection may be either constant flow or EFI. EFI systems must be comprised of OEM "STOCK"throttle bodies (stock inside diameter), and ECU. No ram air systems allowed.
• No turbo chargers or superchargers allowed.
• No traction Control is allowed in any form. If your engine comes with an ECU that has traction control it must be DISABLED...This form of racing is about DRIVER CONTROL.....NOT ELECTRONIC control

NOTE: IN THE EVENT THAT SOMEONE DECLARES THEY HAVE A "BUILT ENGINE" prior to said event, they will be required to run a SP-4 Hoosier or equivalent and the HEAVIEST allocated weight for MC engine powered car.....

DRIVE TRAIN
• Direct drive with quick-change rear end. Drive shaft must be enclosed with a torque tube. Torque tubes must have a torque tube hoop or tether strap.
• Chain drive. Chains must be properly guarded. If within the frame rails, the chain guard must be minimum 14 gauge stainless steel, 12 gauge mild steel, or 3/32” tempered 2024 aluminum, and designed to completely shield and protect the driver and the fuel tank (if the fuel tank is in line with the chain) from the chain. The guard must be designed to prevent the chain from entering the driver’s compartment.
MUFFLERS
• Tracks that require a muffler it must be capable of keeping the noise level at or below 98 dB.

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: Bill May, jjones752
7/25/13, 11:39 PM   #30
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Wayne, that is the single most brilliant update I have seen to any proposed"National" rule; that would allow those of us with older "mystery" motors the ability to come out and have some fun. I'd suggest adding some sort of consequence for not being candid about what's inside (forfeiture of points/prize money, suspension from "National" events for a period of time, something like that).
Not that I'm planning a trip out to MO for this proposed event; I'm a diehard non-wing guy and I suspect this is planned to be a wing show. It would make me consider a trip to Florida next Winter, though (assuming I ever get my car back together )

2 members like this post: pjohnson, Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question........