IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question........
7/22/13, 9:11 PM   #11
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Lets make it stock engine package so there is no crying that someone has a big engine. By the way I have a new stock engine package for you all to check.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: El1teBr33ze
7/23/13, 10:15 AM   #12
Re: Lightning Sprint Question........
buckshot3448

you cant get the car counts if you just allow stock engines. we even open the rules up for the archdale race to get the higher car count.

7/23/13, 1:20 PM   #13
openwheel44

Isn't that counterproductive to achieving a "stock motor" rule? Reading this forum the other day with all the responses, it seemed there were a hell of a lot more racers wanting stock motor rules compared to open motor rules. Maybe I read that all wrong? And how many "open motors" are actually out there? Or are most of these people lying that say their motors are stock?

Money brings the cars. Period. Ya think if you went with stock motor rules, more stock motors might show up knowing they are on level playing field rather than setting it out not wanting to fight an open motor rule? Not trying to be a smart a$$, just don't understand the logic here. Seemed the majority wanted to go stock rules in earlier discussions but now you are talking open motors as the preference??? What did I miss?

7/23/13, 1:34 PM   #14
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel44 View Post
Isn't that counterproductive to achieving a "stock motor" rule? Reading this forum the other day with all the responses, it seemed there were a hell of a lot more racers wanting stock motor rules compared to open motor rules. Maybe I read that all wrong? And how many "open motors" are actually out there? Or are most of these people lying that say their motors are stock?

Money brings the cars. Period. Ya think if you went with stock motor rules, more stock motors might show up knowing they are on level playing field rather than setting it out not wanting to fight an open motor rule? Not trying to be a smart a$$, just don't understand the logic here. Seemed the majority wanted to go stock rules in earlier discussions but now you are talking open motors as the preference??? What did I miss?
Perhaps you are a bit "ANAL" when thinking about motor rules. There is a much better post on page 5 now with right at 9100 hits that Bill relegated into infinity.

Honest Dad himself

7/23/13, 1:48 PM   #15
openwheel44

Fine..........call me anal. Call me anything you want. I saw a majority leaning toward "stock motor rules" which I agree with and evidently a handful that want open motor rules which tells me they must have what would be considered an "open motor."

Back to the original topic...........

Looking at race dates available...............Sept. 28th appears to be the best at this point. Trouble is........a week after the Archdale Memorial. Is that to soon to expect travelers? Would it be better to schedule for Oct. and pray the weather holds out? Remember.....once again......we offer that mileage pay as we have all year and I might add......it has been taken advantage of which has pleased Mark and I tremendously.
Last edited by openwheel44; 7/23/13 at 2:07 PM.

7/23/13, 2:22 PM   #16
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel44 View Post
Fine..........call me anal. Call me anything you want. I saw a majority leaning toward "stock motor rules" which I agree with and evidently a handful that want open motor rules which tells me they must have what would be considered an "open motor."

Back to the original topic...........

Looking at race dates available...............Sept. 28th appears to be the best at this point. Trouble is........a week after the Archdale Memorial. Is that to soon to expect travelers? Remember.....once again......we offer that mileage pay as we have all year and I might add......it has been taken advantage of which has pleased Mark and I tremendously.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, altho I have been part and parcel of several stock motor rule racing classes, and in a perfect world, it can be made to sound like it would be less expensive to run in, but this world is far from perfect, and the only man I know of, able to run a "stock" class motor, was a guy in Illinois, you may have run across his operation, but he made it work, now I realize this would be impossible in almost any other form of racing, but he owned the track, and ran it with his wife and kids, and they used "stock" motors. The deal was, when you went there to race, you paid your money, and you drew a chit, with a number on it, you took it to the next station, and gave it to the person behind the counter, who went to the motor room, put that chit on a nail, and pulled the engine off the shelf and that was your motor for the night, it was already to go, just add fuel, and mount it to your kart, race it, and turn it back in at the end of the racing, then thru the week, his sons would pull the maintance on the motors, and randomly put them back on the shelves, so no one ever got the same engine twice, and it worked very well. like I say, this would not work in this type of racing, but that is the one fool proof way to keep engines stock, me, I'd probably ck one by a draw, and just ck bore and stroke, or cc it, and not make a big deal out of it, most of the bad cheaters are usually poor drivers, and run in the back anyway, so if you do a random draw, you'll eventually catch the one's that have trouble with the "stock" rule. Just my 2 cents worth. Bob

7/23/13, 2:40 PM   #17
openwheel44

Good points Bob and I for one appreciate your input. I have been around enough "stock" classes I know what a pain it can be. It doesn't have to be that bad. No one is looking to split cases and remove heads at this point. At least no one that I know of. Just looking at bore/stroke, compression PSI, fuel and possibly cam lift if need be. Look a the top of the pistons with a borescope. We have been doing the basics at the MALS races and it doesn't take that long. We do the top three. If someone watched a guy blast from dead last to 4th or 5th in only a few laps..........they might get checked also. This is about common sense. It wouldn't have to be as difficult as some are painting. We know........we have been doing it. I have no idea why some are fighting the idea of stock motors so much. Baffles the sh*t out of me.

Getting side tracked again and really wanting to get a handle on whether to schedule a "National" race this year. Just trying to pick as many brains as possible before this investment is made. I could just as easy blow it off, go street rodding, Harley riding or even fishing and call it a year but I really would like to have another race to close out the year...............
Last edited by openwheel44; 7/23/13 at 2:44 PM.

7/23/13, 2:42 PM   #18
buckshot3448

By opening the motor rule up we also alow the 1200 cars. you may get 3-4 "built" motors but it lets all the 1200's run which alot of guys in wisconsin fall under that category. now if you already let all those run then i wouldnt worry about it but we dont so thats a main reason why we allow them. They also have to weigh a 1000 pounds i believe too. Also its a one time race i dont see allowing these cars for this race hurts anything.

7/23/13, 2:58 PM   #19
openwheel44

MALS and MLS has been "grandfathering" the older 1200's by adding additional weight just like we have been doing with the ZX-12's. The key word........GRANDFATHERING. I see nothing wrong with that. However, our 1000cc motors have been following our stated rules/tech for the year. That doesn't mean we aren't flexible for special events if need be. We just want to do what is right and good for the class in the long run. We agree.....special races "might" require special considerations. Me......I would prefer box stock on the 1000cc, ZX-12's (stock with added weight) and the old style 1200's (with added weight) to finish out the year. But I am not the only one involved.
Last edited by openwheel44; 7/23/13 at 3:02 PM.

7/23/13, 5:11 PM   #20
PatrickMead#13

And this makes me really think. Do I go ahead and put new rings in my 1127 and finish out the year or do I scrap this year and the engine and save for a 1000 for next year and beyond. I'm a shoe string buget guy...lol Some good discussions have been going on. Just hope the powers that be work something out for everyone's sake.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question........