IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #1 8/3/14 3:56 AM
Went to Tri State and saw one of the best sprint races I've seen in years. What I don't understand is how everyone complains about purses at sprint car races. Tri State paid $5000 to win, which is very good around these parts, with a car count in the low 20's.

Then someone will say it didn't pay enough to start , I need more it's a long drive. Well if you're wondering about start money, you've already lost. You go to win, not to start. Yes , I realize not everyone wins, but if you don't think you can, you never will.

You get tired about people complaining about the purses, when it's up to those who race to support the big money shows. It doesn't make sense to have them if the competitors aren't going to support them. Show the promoters you'll support, and it will encourage them to have more of them. If you don't show up it doesn't help at all.
17 Likes: badcoupe, bn kleen, DaveP63, davidm, Dirtfan, dshort36, Eldora Three, jim goerge, midget64, nathans1012, RACrappieman, RadRacer, rclaridge, rdzsprint, scottyCbus, speed bump, sprintsrule
griffithracing (Offline)
  #2 8/3/14 9:31 AM
Location and start money is very important to many racers.... Not all of us have the funds or equipment to win therefor making the money to win obsolete.
5 Likes: Agentry10, Phylo82, spicoli, SPRINTCAR, Tony74
oljonesy (Offline)
  #3 8/3/14 9:43 AM
differences between a photog and a racer.they see the world thru a lens plus pay no admission.
3 Likes: cws9, dirtracer74, dkdorkboy
ossuks (Offline)
  #4 8/3/14 9:59 AM
The reason I quit this board is the people that get personal. Do you know Chris? Do you know anything about him? If you have something negative to say to him then walk up to him at a race, he goes to more that any on this site ( be very careful how you address him, you might get more than you can handle).

Let us re-word Chris's post...If a promoter puts up big money and only gets the same local cars then why not just put up $1400 to win and have the same show....If the owners do not support the big shows, why have them?
13 Likes: bn kleen, BrentTFunk, ByronMack, c47, captrat, dirtnonwingfan, dshort36, FishBurger, Jackslash.com, jim goerge, oppweld, Redwood17257, sprintsrule
oppweld (Offline)
  #5 8/3/14 10:25 AM
18 or 48 it doesn't matter, Tri State races produce epic results on a regular basis. As racing junkies we always for long for a greater car count. I think last night was a result of too many races spreading the car count too thin.(Belleville, LPS, The Burg,Jack Hewitt Classic) all drew away at least one car that would have been there last night. A better question is did you leave happy about your racing experience last night? and even more importantly when will you be back!
2 Likes: flatout18, jim goerge
racefan20 (Offline)
  #6 8/3/14 10:27 AM
Last night their were 3 races with larger than normal purses and one with its regular purse. Its obvious that not all of them were going to get a huge car count. Distance I think had something to do with that too when you are talking about TSS. As far a quality goes TSS probably had more than the others but those that didnt feel they had the equipment to win probably went to the track they thought they could do the best at. You all may think I'm full of it but thats just my .02 cents. People have complained about low car counts at big $ shows since Bill created this board its no different now than it was then. Guys are going to go where their budget and their perception of where they can do well leads them. Besides car count has no bearing on the quality of the race, last night proves that point. One of the best races I have ever seen at Kokomo started 14 cars.....but 9 of them were top flight contenders to win. Its the quality not the quantity that makes a great race.

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, cwfan08, fish, Flatrightrear, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, SGreen
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #7 8/3/14 10:31 AM
Haubstadt needed NO more cars last night.
3 Likes: fish, hbmundy, jim goerge
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #8 8/3/14 10:36 AM
I understand both sides of this argument. What gets me is when an event pays a lot to win, and a lot to start, and the car count still isn't that great. I think Racefan 20 nailed it. It is perception, and guys can race or not race when and where they want, or don't want.
3 Likes: cwfan08, fish, jim goerge
sprintsrule (Offline)
  #9 8/3/14 10:40 AM
Just face the facts, people will always complain about something, no matter what. I think the example of this past week needs to sink in more.....life is precious and way too short.
8 Likes: cwfan08, fish, jim goerge, mscs20, PIT CART, PJ Wright, racefan20, suskybass
cwfan08 (Offline)
  #10 8/3/14 10:42 AM
There are a lot of Saturday night tracks..I have never been to Haubstadt but plan on going next year. I think distance has a lot to do with it. When Bloomington ran the Sheldon Kinser race they had 22 or something sprints and gas city got 27 that night..it used to be bigger money and a crap ton of cars showing up..its just not like that anymore..but at least cars were racing last night the field had 41, the burg mid 30s, pville 27 thats a good amount of cars running. But reading through updates it seemed like the best race was at Haubstadt. The time have sure changed.

Tyler
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, jim goerge