IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Driver's Call for Help from Other Drivers
2/20/17, 11:22 PM   #1
A Driver's Call for Help from Other Drivers
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Hello,

Some of you may or may not know me. I'm JJ Hughes, the driver of the Blue and White 76j sprint car in Southern Indiana. Starting in 2014, I decided to take it upon myself and try to reach out to fans and kids at the track. Here in Indiana, we do not have the ability to socialize at the track with kids and fans alike very often. By the time the races are over and they can come in the pits, we're loaded up and gone.

In 2014 I decided I would give out FOR FREE, the rest of the kids shirts I had on hand. One by one, each race in which I made the main through the heat race, I would head up to the stands with a Sharpie, a Kids T-shirt, and 10 Hero cards. The point being, these kids are our future. We may say that we race for ourselves or our family bonding time, but the truth is, we race race for these fans. We are there to bring on a show, have fun, and hopefully make some money along the way.

For two years I have given out a free T-shirt at each race, and not a single driver has caught on. You'd be surprised at how well the fans react when they see a little boy or girl getting a free t-shirt. Kids come running for Hero cards. Putting a smile on their face is what matters to me. I want them to come back. I want them to root for me.

So I ask, with your spare time, take whatever you have that you can give out for free, come up to the stands, find a little kid, and make their night. Let's make this sport grow.

Whether this helps or not, I don't know. However, if I make the main event through the heat race, you better believe I'll have that T-shirt, Sharpie, and Hero Cards with me in the stands.

Thanks,

JJ Hughes.
Last edited by the1jet17; 2/21/17 at 10:36 PM.

2/21/17, 12:31 AM   #2
Re: A Driver's Call for Help from Other Drivers
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

JJ, I have seen you, and only you, doing this. Everyone talks about the need to attract new fans, but few do anything about it. I hope that this awakens at least one or two more drivers to do the same thing. Everyone needs to wake up and actively pursue new fans. This includes the tracks and especially track announcers. Thanks to you for what you do. Keep up the good work.

2/21/17, 8:33 AM   #3
Rpracing1

Yes JJ you are about the only one who will do this. Thanks for doing it and good luck getting other drivers to follow suit!

2/21/17, 2:22 PM   #4
Josh Spencer

I agree with you that more drivers should do this and I believe more drivers should stay after the races, so the fans can get an up close look at these beautiful machines we wheel around the track, but unfortunately times have changed and probably for the worse!?

My father always purchases extra, youth shirts and we give these away to every young person we can at the track or even away from the track, whether it's in the pits or the grandstands and I thank my dad to this day for doing that because they are the future! I have always and always will go in the grandstands during intermission as long as time permits and nothing comes up. Hope more drivers do to this year, like you said.

Josh Spencer

2/21/17, 2:37 PM   #5
410fuelinjected

There is no future without the young. Entertain them, engage them, put a smile on there face and they will remember for a life time. Julian Castro in about 1957 at the Vallejo Speedway did that and I have been in love with motorsports of all types ever since. GREAT JOB JJ

2/21/17, 3:24 PM   #6
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Spencer View Post
I agree with you that more drivers should do this and I believe more drivers should stay after the races, so the fans can get an up close look at these beautiful machines we wheel around the track, but unfortunately times have changed and probably for the worse!?

My father always purchases extra, youth shirts and we give these away to every young person we can at the track or even away from the track, whether it's in the pits or the grandstands and I thank my dad to this day for doing that because they are the future! I have always and always will go in the grandstands during intermission as long as time permits and nothing comes up. Hope more drivers do to this year, like you said.

Josh Spencer
We don't run together often but I definitely appreciate your interaction with the fans. You've got quite the following at Kokomo/Gas City.

Keep up the good work and Good luck this year.

JJ

2/21/17, 6:45 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

JJ, Granted I've not gotten to see you run much the last couple years, I did notice the times I did. You and Angi up in the stands handing out Hero Cards, signing shirts etc for a bit when you had time. I think it's great.

Im convinced that after the races is never going to happen. Usually because tracks have three or four or even five classes running and it can be a hour and a half or more before the other classes finish to open the pits up. Kokomo is pretty quick on Sun Night often having the show in by sundown. GC used to open the pits by class after they finished.

I think the more interaction the track allows between fans and drivers, The better. LPS with it's little feet and bike races with the drivers. Burg with it's redraw (Which I wish they'd just pick the pills in the pits and have the stage open to all drivers wanting to participate in a interact session) A few interviews etc.) But it's good some kids get to meet with the drivers.

Actually meeting the people involved in the sport is what gets people to come back. doesn't matter if your a champion or back marker. Almost all your conclusions about the drivers, teams etc go out the window when you actually meet and talk to them. I used to love to go early and walk the pits for a hour before hot laps but now I can't justify spending double entry price just to do so very often. It's not like I was running around the pits in anyone's way close too or during race time. Although I know there are those who do when their favorite class isn't on the track.

Anyway, Thanks JJ and Josh and the others who do more than just show up and race. It's the future fans and racers that ensure our sport and tracks continue for years to come.

2/21/17, 7:57 PM   #8
Andrew S. Quinn

2/21/17, 9:00 PM   #9
Copperhead

I agree 100%, JJ. I did this a few years ago when I was racing mini sprints. You can make lifelong fans of both yourself and the sport by just spending a few moments with fans - young and old. When we put on the firesuits, we get to play superhero for the night. Anybody not taking advantage of that and interacting with the spectators is missing out on just about the coolest part of doing what we do.

2/21/17, 9:08 PM   #10
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Us non-kids appreciate you coming over to the stands so we can say hi and wish you good luck as we don't usually get over to the pits. Keep doing what you're doing and for sure count on the Morgans to buy some tshirts.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Driver's Call for Help from Other Drivers