IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many would attend?
2/26/23, 10:44 PM   #21
Re: How many would attend?
yeleyfan76

To think the original question of the thread was whether the Indiana fan base would support a February event, much less a nite race on five days notice. The answer is a hard no. The crowd on Thursday rivals some ISW crowds which are always aided by out of area travelers. Todays crowd was very good as well.
As for qualifying to aide passing in the heat races, it was evident that the faster cars moved up to redraw spots sans Macri. So qualifying would have done nothing to improve the show. Based on the snoozer heats at Bubbas last week I’d say qualifying did nothing but burn up tires and fuel.
Charles I’d would love it if your twin 25 lap heats and 40 lap feature idea was the format. That sounds fantastic. Draw for spots no TT. All competitive on track action all of the time.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, motorhead748, NoDramazone2020, oppweld
2/26/23, 11:26 PM   #22
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
To think the original question of the thread was whether the Indiana fan base would support a February event, much less a nite race on five days notice. The answer is a hard no. The crowd on Thursday rivals some ISW crowds which are always aided by out of area travelers. Todays crowd was very good as well.
As for qualifying to aide passing in the heat races, it was evident that the faster cars moved up to redraw spots sans Macri. So qualifying would have done nothing to improve the show. Based on the snoozer heats at Bubbas last week I’d say qualifying did nothing but burn up tires and fuel.
Charles I’d would love it if your twin 25 lap heats and 40 lap feature idea was the format. That sounds fantastic. Draw for spots no TT. All competitive on track action all of the time.
That's all Im looking for is a way to make the heats better and mean something.

Non wing sprints with their dished noses and side panels are using aero on bigger tracks. That and the shock packages, A car with the left front in the air anymore is not working right. Used to be the norm.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
2/27/23, 1:42 AM   #23
revjimk

I wonder what it felt like today, Sunday? Looked pretty windy, but they had a good crowd. Its been cold in Connecticut lately
Good race , tho... Lincoln is usually pretty competitive
I went to the Icebreaker a few years ago, before COVID, got really lucky with the weather that year

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, motorhead748, oppweld
2/27/23, 9:01 AM   #24
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I wonder what it felt like today, Sunday? Looked pretty windy, but they had a good crowd. Its been cold in Connecticut lately
Good race , tho... Lincoln is usually pretty competitive
I went to the Icebreaker a few years ago, before COVID, got really lucky with the weather that year
It was a good show with a crowd that most any track would love to have. I made the 522 mile ride over on my motorcycle and had a great day!

2/27/23, 10:26 AM   #25
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Since nobody will answer. Simply put it's flat footed no passing racing with the leader in clean air and the next car only getting enough to stay within about thirty feet. It's not good racing. Winged racing with dirty air and two good grooves is great. Otherwise It's what you complain about. Qualifying. You don't pass anyone in the first lap and it stays green. Little chance at advancement and not enough laps or cars to dirty the air for everyone.

Run two 25 lap heats and a 40 lap feature. finishing position of both heats is the lineup for the feature outside and inside rows.
The original question had nothing to do with wing vs non wing but instead comparing fans/tracks/regions.
I’d agree with 1021 that a DLM race with their fans might could pull it off but I’m not even sure about that on 5 day’s notice on a weekday.
The bottom line is the sprint car fans in that region support their races and the cars. And that is very much evident when walking the pits. All of the cars are very high caliber and with support. That doesn’t happen overnight and those tracks have been building their shows for decades.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many would attend?