IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Paragon Speedway KISS
6/1/14, 11:41 AM   #41
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Agree with others, I knew what was in store before I went. It's a tuff place to pass and track conditions are what they are. I had a nice night with my family, and the show was moved along. I'll be back sometime, because again, I have certain expectations. Remember the weather in Jan/Feb? Might want keep some perspective, could be worse...could be stuck inside. Not saying people should just accept anything thrown at them... I have expectations at certain places. I either go or stay home.

And to those that always b1tch about other classes, the track was helped quite a bit by them tearing up the track some. The B and the A were much better than the heats. With no rework, other classes running helped that IMO. All and all, I enjoyed the night. I was happy with the race winner and with the KISS champ. On to the next race.
Last edited by openwheelKT; 6/1/14 at 11:47 AM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, HARFprez, spicoli
6/1/14, 11:45 AM   #42
Re: Paragon Speedway KISS
Jerry Shaw

It didn't get off to a very good start. The first two heats were brutal. Darland was stuck in the back of the first one and got the last transfer spot. The same for Windom in the second heat. It's wasn't looking good, but then the third heat came and Short and Ballou changed everybody's perception, driving from the back to the front. Brady, by doing what Brady does, driving in the middle of the track where nobody else can and Robert by using aggression, by being willing to drive into the turns harder than the other guys were willing to. Then the fourth heat came around and Stanbrough started in the back and drove past everyone and then just checked out.

In the feature, nobody had anything for Jon and that was never in question, but Cottle was on the move early and there ended up being a good battle between him and Robert. Ballou would eventually escape and have a pretty good margin between he and Shane. Josh Cunningham came out of the B and passed a ton of cars early, but then leveled off. Chris Windom was on the move throughout and passed a lot of cars, including Short, who started well ahead of him. All in all, it was an entertaining evening. The company was good and I always love being there. The secondary entertainment was provided by the track announcer, who I think actually doesn't know who Shane Cottle is, as he was calling him Shawn Cottle all night. If you exist within the culture that we all do and don't know who Shane Cottle is, that's pretty stunning to me.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

6 members like this post: BigD, BrentTFunk, davidm, dusty tracks, kcarm92, ronmil
6/1/14, 12:01 PM   #43
Jerry Shaw

Also, Rusty Shields is a great National Anthem singer. Both renditions, last night and Friday at Bloomington were great.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: racing2bwithu2
6/1/14, 12:38 PM   #44
TQ29m

As far as my opinion on the one that nailed it was the 10yr old at Dover Truck race Fri night, just straight from the heart, and no problem hearing her, absolutely made me proud! Bob

6/1/14, 12:50 PM   #45
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

The evening ended a whole lot better than it started. The first two heats were awful marathons with lots of yellows. Paragon is pretty much always the same especially running 5 classes. Last night the other classes did help some in bringing the track around. A big shout out to the sprint drivers and crews who were able to match their machines to the conditions. They had to reach deep down in their bag of tricks to dial them in for the feature.

I'm not much of a huggy-pole, half throttle fan but it is what it is. If you stepped very far out of the line on the bottom you went backwards in a hurry. I am also not a fan of a 22 car B-Main that transfers only 4 either. They got through it but a number of guys had absolutely no chance of overcoming those odds. With that many cars, why not run a C-Main to help separate it out some?

I was also surprised at the track worker stepping out in between cars trying to get the line up correct. A very close call that could of ended up being a disaster. The young man certainly was lucky to say the least.

Congrats to Shane (Shawn?) Cottle for being the 2014 KISS champion. Also, Jon Stanbrough on a dominating performance that left little doubt of who had the best car last night.

I would also like to see the KISS series rotate tracks so that everyone of them could host the finale rather than normally end up at Paragon. Just my opinion though.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: RacinBabe
6/1/14, 1:06 PM   #46
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I agree with that Mike (Rotating the finale) It's a hard series to win. Not sure getting the rainouts in would have changed much but you never know.

Conrats to Shane Cottle, Epperson racing, the team and Ooley who set em up a few times and didn't get to see the fruits of his labor.

Also congrats to Jon on his two Kiss Wins further extending his record on the series.

6/1/14, 6:16 PM   #47
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

All this talk about racin', but nobody mentioned the extremely tasty and tender tenderloins. IMS tenderloins @ $9.00, Paragon @ $3.25, so good i had 2. I already have supper plans for next Saturday night at the FREE HARF night. Get out to the races.

2 members like this post: fish, mc/rider
6/1/14, 6:53 PM   #48
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Wasn't the greatest race I ever saw, but at least it wasn't brutally hot and the feature was over at a decent hour. One of the most entertaining races was one of the Hornet heats with the side by side battle and one of the contenders hitting the rev limiter at the end of each straight. I think the crowd really got into the sound of that car. Also, noticed that some of the sprint cars removed a spark plug for the feature, in an attempt to gain traction. I first noticed the #15, but there were others.

2 members like this post: amandasparks11, Mud Packer
6/1/14, 7:44 PM   #49
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARFprez View Post
All this talk about racin', but nobody mentioned the extremely tasty and tender tenderloins. IMS tenderloins @ $9.00, Paragon @ $3.25, so good i had 2. I already have supper plans for next Saturday night at the FREE HARF night. Get out to the races.
Those ones aren't too bad, Bob. But, they're not as good as the ones the Sheppards use to make in the 70's. Those grilled tenderloins were the best track sandwich in the history of racing. They were so good that I can still remember what they tasted like.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: dusty tracks
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Paragon Speedway KISS