IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
kendirt (Offline)
  #11 1/6/24 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by spankytoo:
1260, plus driver
Right, so the math doesn't work out for a 1350 minimum unless you have a small driver and a large Ti/carbon fiber budget.

One thing no one on here mentions when they lament guys moving on to wing racing is that USAC consistently screws average and larger sized drivers with their weight rules.
5 Likes: bighd0522, PIT CART, Pitdad, Radicle, spankytoo
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #12 1/6/24 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by kendirt:
Right, so the math doesn't work out for a 1350 minimum unless you have a small driver and a large Ti/carbon fiber budget.

One thing no one on here mentions when they lament guys moving on to wing racing is that USAC consistently screws average and larger sized drivers with their weight rules.

How's that when most of the tracks have the same rule? In fact more weight helps you on dry slick tracks. pull the wheels in, lower it and add weight.

Charles Nungester
mc/rider (Offline)
  #13 1/6/24 11:50 AM
Is the under 32 cars three heats rule still in place? I like 4 heats

When in doubt Gas It
kendirt (Offline)
  #14 1/6/24 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
How's that when most of the tracks have the same rule? In fact more weight helps you on dry slick tracks. pull the wheels in, lower it and add weight.
Don't think you're going to win many USAC races in 2024 running heavy.
7 Likes: bighd0522, Hubie48, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART, Pitdad, progressive22, rmr6nm
opnwhlmnd (Offline)
  #15 1/6/24 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
More weight never helps things improve velocity. It also has a worse effect on stopping velocity.

What helps on dry slick tracks is understanding your shock package and purchasing new tires.

Find a purpose in life ..... Be a bad example
3 Likes: PIT CART, Pitdad, rmr6nm
richie (Offline)
  #16 1/6/24 3:52 PM
Originally Posted by mc/rider:
Is the under 32 cars three heats rule still in place? I like 4 heats
From the Press Release:

1312: EVENT PROCEDURE | SPRINTS & MIDGETS

(G) If 48 or more cars are in competition, five (5) heat races will be held with the top-four (4) finishers transferring to the feature.

1. For 28-47 cars in attendance during an event on tracks under a half-mile in length will result in four (4) heat races with the top-five (5) finishers transferring out of each heat.

2. For 27 cars or less in attendance during an event on tracks under a half-mile in length will result in three (3) heat races with the top-six (6) finishers transferring out of each heat.

3. For 31-47 cars in attendance during an event on tracks a half-mile in length will result in four (4) heat races with the top-five (5) finishers transferring out of each heat.

4. For 30 cars or less in attendance during an event on tracks a half-mile in length will result in three (3) heat races with the top-six (6) transferring out of each heat.
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #17 1/6/24 5:14 PM
So what does a small 3/8ths count as? I mean we get the heat laps of the half miles for some reason.

Charles Nungester
yeleyfan76 (Offline)
  #18 1/6/24 8:17 PM
Originally Posted by Blitzman:
I’m here to read the people posts with the 1950’s mentality, complain about the format changes. Lol.
Since most are commenting on the weight change, I was hoping you would explain and expand your thought/point about format change? Unless I misread this and you don’t like it. Sorry if that’s the case.
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #19 1/7/24 2:19 AM
28 cars should result in 4 heats regardless of track size imo. And on half miles they should invert 8 in heats and feature.
3 Likes: jdull99, mc/rider, oppweld