IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Jonr (Offline)
  #1 3/12/16 7:19 PM
In your opinion what makes a vintage race car? I went to a car show today and looked at some vintage race cars. They general fall into three groups.

1. A race car that was built "back in the day" and races basically the same way it did when "back in the day" You will see all kind of engine combinations in these cars. The one I looked at today had a straight 6.

2. A car with an older body placed on a newer chassis. What do you do with old IMCA modified car? You hang a body of an old car on it and call it vintage.

3. You take an old car and build it into a modern race car using all of the technology that is currently available. It is like looking at a modern street stock, but it is built on something much more interesting that a GM Metric body.

So, are all of these vintage race cars?
Backitin (Offline)
  #2 3/12/16 7:49 PM
Also a modern 410 nonwing, pretty much a vintage car. That's what makes them great. Less technology equals better racing.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #3 3/12/16 7:52 PM
I'd be very unhappy if a modern day cowboy, took the show over the one from the past that I spent the wife's egg money keeping it "original". There is at this time on eBay, a 37 Ford, 2dr sedan for sale, the condition of which I couldn't find in the 50's, ready to roll on a trailer, load the rest of the parts, and bring it home, very little if any rust, and the same for body work, I'd be on my way to get it, but I already have too many projects, I ran one just like it in the early 50's, I am now ashamed of what I did! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
CTtoPA (Offline)
  #4 3/13/16 8:31 PM
I suppose it depends on the definition by the organization. Collectors and racing groups sometimes see things very differently.