IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Roa strikes again, wins bubby jones/ray scheetz memori
6/11/23, 3:10 PM   #1
Usac: Roa strikes again, wins bubby jones/ray scheetz memori
admin

6/11/23 3:03 PM ROA STRIKES AGAIN, WINS BUBBY JONES/RAY SCHEETZ MEMORIAL AT THE PAS

https://www.usacracing.com/news/spri...ial-at-the-pas

ROA STRIKES AGAIN, WINS BUBBY JONES/RAY SCHEETZ MEMORIAL AT THE PAS

Perris, California (June 10, 2023)………Brody Roa’s career best season soared to even greater heights on Saturday night during the running of the 40-lap Bubby Jones & Ray Scheetz Memorial at California’s Perris Auto Speedway.

The Garden Grove, Calif. native picked up his sixth AMSOIL USAC CRA Sprint Car victory of the year, but it was his first at The PAS in four tries this season.

Roa, starting fourth, trailed Austin Williams and Tommy Malcolm for the first half of the race before making his winning move on lap 20, propelling himself to yet another series victory in his Tom & Christy Dunkel/BR Performance owned machine.

Malcolm (Corona, Calif.) led seven circuits between laps 13-19 and came home a fine second after entering the event having won the last two series events.* Chris Gansen (Verdemont Heights, Calif.) scored a season-best third.

Logan Williams (Yorba Linda, Calif.) collected the night’s hard charger award in memory of Jim & Chet Gardner and Shawn McDonald by advancing from 13th to fourth. *Meanwhile, A.J. Bender (San Diego, Calif.) rounded out the top-five.

Austin Williams (Yorba Linda, Calif.) was strong early, leading the initial 12 laps before trouble dropped him to 12th in the final running order.

Roa’s triumph was the 19th of his USAC CRA career, which ranks fifth all-time, and now stands just one win behind 2007 series champion Tony Jones for fourth.* Additionally, Roa’s series point lead ballooned to 100 over Malcolm.

Bender and Malcolm captured heat race wins sponsored by FlowDynamics, Inc., In Memory of Jim & Chet Gardner, BillsJerky.net, WC Friend Company and Factory Wraps.

Sixth place finisher Don Gansen (Verdemont Heights, Calif.) was the recipient of the Shawn McDonald Memorial Feature Award while Logan Calderwood (Goodyear, Ariz.) scored the Wilwood Disc Brakes Lucky 13 Award.

================

AMSOIL USAC CRA SPRINT CAR SERIES RACE RESULTS: June 10, 2023 – Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, California – Bubby Jones & Ray Scheetz Memorial

WOODLAND AUTO DISPLAY QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Cody Williams, 44, Williams-16.605; 2. Tommy Malcolm, 5x, Napier-16.868; 3. Brody Roa, 17R, Dunkel/BR-16.967; 4. Austin Williams, 2, Williams-17.097; 5. A.J. Bender, 21, Bender-17.131; 6. Don Gansen, 7G, Gansen-17.208; 7. Chris Bonneau, 15, Bonneau-17.221; 8. Grant Sexton, 22, Sexton-17.298; 9. Chris Gansen, 4G, Gansen-17.342; 10. Verne Sweeney, 98, Guerrero-17.359; 11. Kyle Edwards, 39E, Edwards-17.445; 12. Logan Calderwood, 6, Calderwood-17.498; 13. Logan Williams, 5w, McCarthy-17.602; 14. Brent Owens, 71, Martin-17.718; 15. Brent Sexton, 22x, Sexton-18.110; 16. James Herrera, 5J, Herrera-18.487.

FLOWDYNAMICS INCORPORATED / BILLSJERKY.NET FIRST HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Bender, 2. Roa, 3. C. Gansen, 4. C. Williams, 5. Bonneau, 6. L. Williams, 7. B. Sexton, 8. Edwards. NT

WC FRIEND COMPANY / IN MEMORY OF JIM & CHET GARDNER / FACTORY WRAPS SECOND HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Malcolm, 2. A. Williams, 3. V. Sweeney, 4. G. Sexton, 5. D. Gansen, 6. Calderwood, 7. Owens, 8. Herrera. NT

FEATURE: (40 laps, With Starting Positions) 1. Brody Roa (4), 2. Tommy Malcolm (5), 3. Chris Gansen (9), 4. Logan Williams (13), 5. A.J. Bender (2), 6. Don Gansen (7), 7. Brent Sexton (15), 8. Brent Owens (14), 9. Kyle Edwards (11), 10. Verne Sweeney (10), 11. James Herrera (16), 12. Austin Williams (3), 13. Logan Calderwood (12), 14. Chris Bonneau (8), 15. Grant Sexton (1), 16. Cody Williams (6). NT

FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-12 A. Williams, Laps 13-19 Malcolm, Laps 20-40 Roa.

IN MEMORY OF JIM & CHET GARDNER / SHAWN McDONALD MEMORIAL HARD CHARGER: Logan Williams (13th to 4th)

SHAWN McDONALD MEMORIAL FEATURE AWARD: Don Gansen

WILWOOD DISC BRAKES LUCKY 13 AWARD: Logan Calderwood

NEW AMSOIL USAC CRA SPRINT CAR POINTS: 1-Brody Roa-828, 2-Tommy Malcolm-728, 3-Austin Williams-655, 4-Cody Williams-650, 5-A.J. Bender-570, 6-Logan Calderwood-522, 7-Charles Davis Jr.-460, 8-Grant Sexton-405, 9-Verne Sweeney-326, 10-R.J. Johnson-324.

NEXT AMSOIL USAC CRA SPRINT CAR RACE: June 24 – Bakersfield Speedway – Bakersfield, California – Richie McGowan Memorial

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, Ilovedirttrackracing, TNRustler
6/11/23, 7:08 PM   #2
Re: Usac: Roa strikes again, wins bubby jones/ray scheetz me
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Hope Brody comes back for ISW!

1 member likes this post: Ilovedirttrackracing
6/11/23, 7:43 PM   #3
cowboyhar69

Sadly things don’t seem to be improving out West. Perris (their home track) with only 16 cars last night. Makes me wonder how long fans will turn out to see 2 heat races and a feature.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

6/11/23, 8:19 PM   #4
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
Sadly things don’t seem to be improving out West. Perris (their home track) with only 16 cars last night. Makes me wonder how long fans will turn out to see 2 heat races and a feature.
This turnout is pathetic. Where was RJ?

6/11/23, 9:38 PM   #5
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
This turnout is pathetic. Where was RJ?
RJ ran a 360 at Casa Grande

6/11/23, 11:42 PM   #6
racefan20

Davis and Tafoya are usually there but are out here, thats still just 18.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

6/12/23, 8:28 AM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

A sprint car is a sprint car, Quit scheduling against yourselves and stop the 305-360-410 crap Maybe put up a couple hundo for highest finishing 360 and a hundo for 305- steel block.

1 member likes this post: captrat
6/12/23, 12:34 PM   #8
Scott Daloisio

Was sitting in the press box and counted 10 series regulars who were not there Saturday night for various reasons, 1.-3. Matt Mitchell, Charles Davis Jr, and Eddie Tafoya Jr. (two regulars and one semi regular) are in Indiana running the sprint car portion of Midget Week. 4. One went to the river. 5. I talked to Jeff Dyer on Thursday night. He had an engine getting repaired but the engine builder was having trouble getting valve springs. The shop told him they would be in on Friday morning. Jeff said if they did not come in he and his son would race lightning sprints with POWRi at Barona. Guess the springs did not come on or did not come in on time as they raced Barona. 6. Austin Grabowski is still waiting for his doctor's clearance after his crash in April. He should be back soon. 7. "Shugah" Shane Sexton's car is not back together after his April crash (he is shooting for July). 8. Not sure why Andrew Sweeney was not there but he is a police officer and may not have been able to get off. 9 & 10. Not sure why Tony Everhart and Gary Marshall were not there.

If we had all of them, we would have had 27 cars. But, I know, that is “shoulda,’ couldya,’ wouldya.’

R.J. Johnson comes over when his racing schedule allows, but he had a race yesterday at Casa Grande. Kind of hard to get cars from Arizona on a horsepower track like Perris these days as 410 racing is virtually nonexistent on the local Arizona scene. On top of that with fuel costs nearly doubling the past couple of years, it is a drain on the wallet. People do not travel like they used to (I am talking like back in the 70s 80s and 90s and prior). Having said that with Arizona going dark for the summer in July and August, hopefully some will come over.

There is one local guy off the top of my head who has not been here this year who I think plans on coming out. We also had a new guy who was supposed to debut at the May 27th race, but he destroyed a car practicing two nights before the race. He is putting another car together now and hopes to debut it on the 24th at Bakersfield.

Paying a bonus to 360s, 305s and iron blocks as Charles suggested has not worked. We have done the 360 bonus deal in the past, but it has not worked. While some show up at the smaller tracks, they seldom show up at The PAS knowing they are probably not going to be competitive. On the steel blocks and 305s, you would probably run into the same thing if any were around. You could probably count how many of them there are around here in your hands.
Last edited by Scott Daloisio; 6/12/23 at 12:36 PM.

5 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Dirtfan, erich45, Ilovedirttrackracing, TNRustler
6/12/23, 1:42 PM   #9
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Paying a bonus to 360s, 305s and iron blocks as Charles suggested has not worked.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

6/12/23, 2:39 PM   #10
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio View Post
Was sitting in the press box and counted 10 series regulars who were not there Saturday night for various reasons, 1.-3. Matt Mitchell, Charles Davis Jr, and Eddie Tafoya Jr. (two regulars and one semi regular) are in Indiana running the sprint car portion of Midget Week. 4. One went to the river. 5. I talked to Jeff Dyer on Thursday night. He had an engine getting repaired but the engine builder was having trouble getting valve springs. The shop told him they would be in on Friday morning. Jeff said if they did not come in he and his son would race lightning sprints with POWRi at Barona. Guess the springs did not come on or did not come in on time as they raced Barona. 6. Austin Grabowski is still waiting for his doctor's clearance after his crash in April. He should be back soon. 7. "Shugah" Shane Sexton's car is not back together after his April crash (he is shooting for July). 8. Not sure why Andrew Sweeney was not there but he is a police officer and may not have been able to get off. 9 & 10. Not sure why Tony Everhart and Gary Marshall were not there.

If we had all of them, we would have had 27 cars. But, I know, that is “shoulda,’ couldya,’ wouldya.’

R.J. Johnson comes over when his racing schedule allows, but he had a race yesterday at Casa Grande. Kind of hard to get cars from Arizona on a horsepower track like Perris these days as 410 racing is virtually nonexistent on the local Arizona scene. On top of that with fuel costs nearly doubling the past couple of years, it is a drain on the wallet. People do not travel like they used to (I am talking like back in the 70s 80s and 90s and prior). Having said that with Arizona going dark for the summer in July and August, hopefully some will come over.

There is one local guy off the top of my head who has not been here this year who I think plans on coming out. We also had a new guy who was supposed to debut at the May 27th race, but he destroyed a car practicing two nights before the race. He is putting another car together now and hopes to debut it on the 24th at Bakersfield.

Paying a bonus to 360s, 305s and iron blocks as Charles suggested has not worked. We have done the 360 bonus deal in the past, but it has not worked. While some show up at the smaller tracks, they seldom show up at The PAS knowing they are probably not going to be competitive. On the steel blocks and 305s, you would probably run into the same thing if any were around. You could probably count how many of them there are around here in your hands.
Thanks for the info Scott. Wasn't too many years ago I saw a good USAC show out in San Tan, I think Windom won. Times changing too fast.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Roa strikes again, wins bubby jones/ray scheetz memori