IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
JoriHughes (Offline)
  #1 3/12/14 7:57 AM
How common are throttle cables used on Sprint Cars? And what are the pros/cons compared to a linkage system?
TQ29m (Offline)
  #2 3/12/14 12:30 PM
You can have problems with both/either, myself, I guess I'm old school, but I like mechanical over a cable, push comes to shove, both can be a problem if not installed correctly, and serviced and ck'd regularly, probably something that folks just forget, and get by with it, matter of personal preference I suppose, me, I'm voting for rods and heims! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
cws9 (Offline)
  #3 3/12/14 12:51 PM
If using a cable make sure your return springs are up to snuff. Hard to lift the pedal and get the cable to push back through if the throttle sticks.
Bill84 (Offline)
  #4 3/12/14 4:31 PM
That's why you run two cables. If you have a Henchcraft, Rick has cables made up that fit perfectly to the injection and to the bellcrank on the firewall. If you don't have a Henchcraft, he makes a cool bellcrank, and cables that you should be able to easily adapt to your chassis.

Bill

mscs20 (Offline)
  #5 3/12/14 6:23 PM
I only run cable on my sprint cars. Around 15 yrs ago, Doug Wolfgang explained that when you cart wheel, barrel roll, or flip end for end, and you come down on the right rear, it usually collapses your drive line to the point it can push your motor plate away from the frame......including your engine, and with a linkage system it can pull the throttle wide open, causing all kinds of problems. With a cable system it usually gives enough to keep your engine at idle, assuming your foot is off the pedal.
For me, I like the fact that I can slow the travel down on my throttle, and get more pedal, aiding in hooking up when the track gets dry slick. If you need pictures of how mine is installed, let me know and I can text or email you some.

Steve
TQ29m (Offline)
  #6 3/12/14 7:49 PM
I might do the 2 cable deal, but a good friend of mine had a cable on his, and one night after doing some welding on his car, he went out for his heat race, and when he hit the throttle, it was tight, so he pushed harder, and off he went wide open, evidently whatever they were welding, was getting a ground thru the cable, and that's what caused his ride! Like I said, it's kind of an individual preference, it's like the shifter cable, even being sealed, it's a good idea to ck it when you think of it, and lube it, it may work great in hot laps, then take a dive in a feature. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
JoriHughes (Offline)
  #7 3/12/14 8:19 PM
Originally Posted by mscs20:
I only run cable on my sprint cars. Around 15 yrs ago, Doug Wolfgang explained that when you cart wheel, barrel roll, or flip end for end, and you come down on the right rear, it usually collapses your drive line to the point it can push your motor plate away from the frame......including your engine, and with a linkage system it can pull the throttle wide open, causing all kinds of problems. With a cable system it usually gives enough to keep your engine at idle, assuming your foot is off the pedal.
For me, I like the fact that I can slow the travel down on my throttle, and get more pedal, aiding in hooking up when the track gets dry slick. If you need pictures of how mine is installed, let me know and I can text or email you some.

Steve
My email is jorihughes@gmail.com if you'd like to send a couple pictures of your setup. Thank you
DAD (Offline)
  #8 3/12/14 10:11 PM
If you own a little bigger Sprint car you may be thinking about a push pull cable. http://pitstopusa.com/i-5068636-alls...tle-cable.html These are designed to push and pull as a solid unit, like an in and out cable for the rear end. Helps get away from all those bell-cranks and heims joints. You can have them made in any length from 6 inches to 60 feet or longer. They use a lot of them in Dyno Cells.
Some say potato some say potota? Done right they work as well or better than a solid set up.

Honest Dad himself
mscs20 (Offline)
  #9 3/13/14 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by DAD:
If you own a little bigger Sprint car you may be thinking about a push pull cable. http://pitstopusa.com/i-5068636-alls...tle-cable.html These are designed to push and pull as a solid unit, ulike an in and out cable. Helps get away from all those bell-cranks and heims joints. You can have them made in any length from 6 inches to 60 feet or longer. They use a lot of them in Dyno Cells.
Some say potato some say potota? Done right they work as well or better than a solid set up.

Honest Dad himself
Dad that's exactly what we use, not the wound cable and housing like on motorcycles.

Jori I will email you pictures this afternoon.