IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who led the last completed lap.
4/3/23, 5:03 PM   #1
Who led the last completed lap.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Kinda getting sick of the green white checkered deal with two, three, or more chances to win.

I think if a race is cautioned on the last lap, It should be the driver who crossed the stripe on the last completed lap as the winner.

For Short track that would mean a 30 lap race was 29. But it would save the pileups etc of multiple green white checkers. For Nascar etc. It would end the race on the last completed lap at the line and not where who was at the time of caution.

ONE SHOT, ONE WIN, Done.

Your mileage may vary.

4/4/23, 1:42 AM   #2
Re: Who led the last completed lap.
jdull99

I had a random draw pick of Kyle Busch to win the Daytona 500...I lost $110 cuz of the GWC rule...I understand why they do them (certainly should MAYBE only be ONE, if any), but have no problem with races that end as advertised (like the Indy 500!)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/4/23, 6:55 AM   #3
kcarm92

I know years ago kieth ford said if white flag had waved,then a yellow or red race was over with cars involved put the end,no one lap wreck fest. Always that one guy that thinks he can go from 5th to 1st in that last lap.

4/4/23, 7:58 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It's a little anti climatic for a race to end under caution, But the driver who was leading or dominating wins as they should, Not get wadded up on the next attempt, sports to expensive and enough wrecks happen on their own to keep the safe deposit box open for several more attempts.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/4/23 at 7:59 AM.

4/4/23, 8:22 AM   #5
The Old Coyote

On dirt tracks go back to the last scored lap, regardless of which lap it is, and complete the published amount of laps. When the leader takes the checker the race is over.

On pavement tracks where laps under yellow are counted, whoever is leading when the published amount of laps are complete is the winner. It is the Indianapolis or Daytona 500, not 502 1/2. If the last lap is on yellow, so be it!

This BS all started at Talladega when a bunch of drunken hillbillies threw coolers on the track because Gordon was ahead of Earnhart when the yellow came out on the last lap.

4 members like this post: jdull99, oppweld, Stevensville Mike, Tonymain74
4/4/23, 8:46 AM   #6
MassiveRaceFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post

This BS all started at Talladega when a bunch of drunken hillbillies threw coolers on the track because Gordon was ahead of Earnhart when the yellow came out on the last lap.
NASCAR already did GWC in Trucks before then.
Last edited by MassiveRaceFan; 4/4/23 at 8:48 AM.

4/4/23, 9:29 AM   #7
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveRaceFan View Post
NASCAR already did GWC in Trucks before then.
True, I forgot about that.

4/4/23, 2:28 PM   #8
motorhead748

NASCARs GWC is just another gimmick and another reason I don’t watch

4 members like this post: captrat, DirtTrackTherapy16J, luckybuc97, The Old Coyote
4/4/23, 9:57 PM   #9
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post
On dirt tracks go back to the last scored lap, regardless of which lap it is, and complete the published amount of laps. When the leader takes the checker the race is over.

On pavement tracks where laps under yellow are counted, whoever is leading when the published amount of laps are complete is the winner. It is the Indianapolis or Daytona 500, not 502 1/2. If the last lap is on yellow, so be it!

Great memory you have, Wile E.

If I remember correctly, the first series to do G-W-C was ARCA back in the 90s (when ARCA was worth watching). I want to say it was a one shot deal per race but I cannot recall that specifically.

But I agree that if the race ends under yellow, it ends under yellow. Tha advertised distance is the distance of the race. But if we hold firm to that then you are going to get red flags late in the race to restart for the sake of bringing in new viewers to the sport and a quick buck.

Just like the last F1 race in Melbourne. A late red flag. It resulted in absolute chaos.

Someone once on the old Wind Tunnel program on SPEED TV with Dave Despain compared this to running a marathon: You run 26 miles and then they stop the race and line all of the runners up for a 385 yard dash to the finish line.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, The Old Coyote
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who led the last completed lap.