IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Usac national rule changes and enforcements for 2020
1/24/20, 12:39 PM   #21
Re: Usac: Usac national rule changes and enforcements for 20
mcveyracing

As a driver who has been in this situation as a lapped car I like this rule, it allows me more freedom to race for position with the other lappers and not be a factor for the lead lap cars.

1/24/20, 1:12 PM   #22
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

I don't think you were asking me, but I'll go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinglessLovers View Post
The new rule moves lap cars to the rear on "every" restart. Do you feel that is fair to the guy who has put distance between himself and the rest of the field by passing more cars??
Yes, I think it's fair because giving the leader clean air/track plus lap cars is too big an advantage. He may have "earned" those cars but he didn't earn that clean air. You have to take one away.

Quote:
If the driver and car are stronger than the rest of the field why should they be penalized by removing the lap cars??
If you have the best car and are given clean track and find a way to mess it up you didn't earn that win.

Quote:
If the others are fast enough they would work their way through the lap traffic and track down the leader. This causes excitement also by them picking off cars and drawing closer to the leader.
Yes under green when 2 cars are working lapped traffic and one is closing in, or even when they go back in forth amongst other cars that is the definition of excitement in racing. But how is it fair to take one of those cars out of lapped traffic while keeping the other in lapped traffic. The advantage of being the leader becomes too large. A yellow will almost always hurt someone, I think taking lap cars out makes a takes the weight out of who is advantaged and disadvantaged. Leader gets to fire first and have clean track, 2nd place has no direct obstacles between him and the leader firing off. That's an ok trade.
Quote:
To me the leader deserves his reward of passing the lap cars and having them as a cushion. Not every race is going to be a barnburner as sometimes one car is superior to all the others. Don't reward the chasers for something that they have not earned.
And as I argue, the leader is getting his rewards by being given clean track, setting the pace, and deciding where the race restarts (within some reason of the rules). Having lapped traffic added into that mix was too much of an advantage in the general case. IMO

4 members like this post: 48M, bigvee, fish, PJ Wright
1/24/20, 1:28 PM   #23
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcveyracing View Post
As a driver who has been in this situation as a lapped car I like this rule, it allows me more freedom to race for position with the other lappers and not be a factor for the lead lap cars.
Candidate for Post of the Year

1/24/20, 3:06 PM   #24
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Hey guys, under the current rules, once the green waves for the restart and the field comes back around don't the lapped cars get shown the move over flag anyway? Even before that, most of the lapped cars aren't going to be trying to hold up the lead lap cars. That's just asking for a visit in the pits later from a disgruntled 5th-place finisher who thinks it's your fault (maybe with good cause) that he didn't pull off that 4-car slide job for the win...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: jonboat15
1/24/20, 3:16 PM   #25
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Why no weight increase for the midgets? They raised it for sprint and silver crown.

1 member likes this post: jonboat15
1/24/20, 4:02 PM   #26
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
The first six are the six fastest qualifiers that transfer through the heats. If 3 heats have to finish fifth or better to get time back. If four heats has to be forth or better.

The best you can start running the B-main is now 11th.
Thanks!

1 member likes this post: dshort36
1/24/20, 4:34 PM   #27
revjimk

I can see both sides of this. Yes, if leader has to pass lappers, 2nd should too... BUT, moving lappers to the back clears the field for leader but not 2nd.
Moving lappers back promotes better competition between 1st & 2nd?
I can't decide.... no perfect solution, unless cars are placed exactly where they were at time of accident, which obviously isn't gonna happen

1 member likes this post: Chief Wahoo
1/24/20, 6:17 PM   #28
sp6967

as we all know,usac knows best.so this thread is pointless.

6 members like this post: Big Mike 7, dirt330, duel, PIT CART, robert gatten, Speedwrench
1/24/20, 8:13 PM   #29
jonboat15

As someone mentioned, lapped cars are part of racing. Having the fastest car is what racing is all about. Why punish a team for having a fast car by taking the lappers out. Getting into traffic and finding your way though it is not easy and it shouldn't be negated. As a fan I suppose it may make things more interesting but really it isn't fair. Smells almost as bad as participation trophies.

6 members like this post: Big Mike 7, bigq11, dshort36, duel, PAW, progressive22
1/24/20, 9:13 PM   #30
oldfan49

A lot of things are not fair. Letting the 2nd place car or any car in the race start on the tail tank of a car that had a straight away lead is not fair. As stated making a car who had a good battle going with another back marker start almost a lap behind the those they ware battling with taking away their chance to advance the rest of the race is not fair. Moving the car the leader was struggling to get around letting 2nd and 3rd to catch up him 3/4th of a lap out of his way is not fair. Maybe with things going as they are trending in our sport we should make the decisions like these based on what is best for the future of the sport. Someone will always loose an advantage no matter what is decided, maybe the one that puts more "casual" and rabid race fans in the stands is the fairest decision for all in the long run.

2 members like this post: dirt330, PJ Wright
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Usac national rule changes and enforcements for 2020