IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winter Racing
11/6/12, 11:33 PM   #1
Winter Racing
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Looking for help for open wheel Winter racing, specifically Florida.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

11/7/12, 1:23 PM   #2
Re: Winter Racing
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Not much going on until a couple of weeks before the Daytona 500 in February. Most tracks end their seasons by the end of November and don't start until February. Other than USAC's deal at Bubba Raceway Park (Ocala) in late February, the winged sprints...All-Stars and WoO.... have some racing at Volusia Raceway Park (dirt)(just west of Daytona) wrapped around the Daytona event. East Bay (dirt) (Tampa area) has some local Sprint Cars mixed in with their mods, etc. around the same time frame. Best bet is to bookmark the websites of Bubba, Volusia, East Bay, Citrus County near Inverness (paved), New Smyrna Beach (paved), and Hendry County (dirt) southwest side of Lake Okeechobee. They should be posting their skeds soon. Most of the paved tracks run Open Wheel Modifieds on a regular basis along with about 10 classes of "fendered" cars. You might get to see the winged sprint 360s of TBARA if they are still in business. They are pavement cars and lightning fast. They usually run February races at Citrus County and New Smyrna. There are a couple of other tracks in northern Florida. A dirt track near Lake City and another paved track in the panhandle. There is also a paved track around Ft Myers.

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
11/7/12, 2:49 PM   #3
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Thanks Al,
No wonder I can't seem to find anything.
I couldn't get away from work until Feb. anyway, even if then.

Wish Usac would work a deal with East Bay to do part of the Winternationals.
If they would coordinate something like that it might encourage more participation from more teams to come south.

Yes I would go to a TBARA race also as I had heard they put on a good show. I really miss seeing Dave Steele on the Pavement.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

11/7/12, 4:11 PM   #4
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1808 View Post
Thanks Al,
No wonder I can't seem to find anything.
I couldn't get away from work until Feb. anyway, even if then.

Wish Usac would work a deal with East Bay to do part of the Winternationals.
If they would coordinate something like that it might encourage more participation from more teams to come south.

Yes I would go to a TBARA race also as I had heard they put on a good show. I really miss seeing Dave Steele on the Pavement.
USAC had a deal worked out with Eastbay until the money grubbers in charge of the track had other ideas.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
11/8/12, 10:22 AM   #5
ISF

Back in the late '90's or early 2000's the weekend prior to the Daytona 500 we drove down from Port Orange, Fl to a dirt track just North of Lake Okeechobee called Thundercross Park. I remember there was a 2 or 3 day sprint car show featuring wingless and winged cars.

IIRC it was a fairly nice place with a lounge overlooking the track where you could get food and beer, etc. The bleachers were a bit spartan but well kept.

Jack Hewitt was there and ran both the wingless and the winged portion of the racing and did some fishin' as well. IIRC Dave Darland was there, too.

Googled the place and it appears they're not using the dirt track or it doesn't exist exist.

Just wondered if anyone remembers this place and if they still use the dirt track?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winter Racing