IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Day That Will Live In Infamy
12/7/19, 10:41 AM   #1
A Day That Will Live In Infamy
ISF

I would urge everyone on this day, December 7th, to take a moment to reflect upon the gravity and historic significance of today. On December 7th, 1941 our nation was savagely attacked by the Japanese on a beautiful Sunday morning at Pearl Harbor Hawaii. We lost over 2000 men and women as a result of this attack. Many who were alive on that day have left us and with the passing of time the gravity seems to lessen. But, it's very important that we NEVER forget and honor this day, if only for a moment of reflection. Those who died in that attack and throughout WWII for our freedom, prosperity and way of life in the conflict that the attack precipitated deserve just a moment from us.

12/7/19, 11:48 AM   #2
dstensland

Amen and very well said. Thank you.

12/7/19, 12:25 PM   #3
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Thank You for posting this.I visited the Arizona Memorial several times when I was stationed in Pearl Harbor during the early 70's,each time was emotional.
This date should never ever be forgotten,so many lost their lives during & after the attack,unbelievable.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

12/7/19, 1:17 PM   #4
Re: A Day That Will Live In Infamy
The Old Coyote

This was indeed the greatest generation. These men came of age during the depression, went off and fought to save the world, then came home and built the greatest economy in the history of mankind.

Their sacrifices and accomplishments gave us the freedom and life we enjoy today. Every time you hear our National Anthem played, say a prayer of thanks to these great men.

12/7/19, 6:07 PM   #5
toprowjim

In 1967 my first duty station was Naval Airstation Barbers Point Hawaii. They were in the process of filming the movie Tora Tora Tora. Aircraft painted up like Japanese planes with the rising sun were parked at our base. When filming took place to reenact the events of Dec 7, 1941 these planes were followed by a camera crew in a copter. Many of the civilians I worked with on base knew it was a movie but still got chills recalling the actual event. It was too real for them.

12/7/19, 6:25 PM   #6
Leohr46

God Bless them all. Sadly my family lost my Grandfather last September at the young age of 97. He was a WW2 veteran. Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient. He said once to my wife and I. "We were just boys, that became men in a matter of minutes".

12/7/19, 7:13 PM   #7
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

My military travels did not take me in that direction, but my wife and I did spend several days there a couple of years ago. A beautiful place teeming with people and history. Tall buildings occupy the modern skyline over Honolulu, Interstate highways crammed with vehicles, and people everywhere. Pearl Harbor is an amazing site and is still a busy port for todays Naval Fleet. We were fortunate to have a civilian guide on the harbor tour who was a young boy on Dec 7, 1941. He was able to recount the attack with very interesting stories. We were disappointed that the Arizona Battleship Memorial was still closed but we could just feel the history of the battle in the area.

12/7/19, 7:14 PM   #8
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Got some pictures I’m going to share with you guys. My Grandfather Jack Templeton (WWII) Ship. USS LCI 618 (L.C.I. - Landing Craft Infantry).
The ship was in the South Pacific from the Spring of 1944 to the Spring of 1946.The second picture is the ship he was on in the South Pacific.
Last edited by nathans1012; 11/17/23 at 2:26 PM.

12/7/19, 7:16 PM   #9
nathans1012

More Pictures.

1st picture - September 23rd 1945.

2nd picture - November 12th 1945.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
12/7/19, 7:17 PM   #10
nathans1012

last two pictures.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner, toprowjim
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Day That Will Live In Infamy