IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
Hotshoe65s (Offline)
  #151 1/3/13 2:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tony Stewart:
To Mr. Don Moore, I've raced at Ft. Wayne for a long time now and there is one thing that is very obvious. If you spent HALF as much time working on your car as you do ******** about mine, you might have a car that doesn't spin out 5 times per night. I will have my conventional tail tank back on for next years races. I didn't really like the way the new tank looked anyway but knew you would throw a fit over it like you do about everything on my car. I would love to know what else you are going to complain about so i have time to fix it before next years races as well. And for the record, I bought the car from Mike for 15k and the same amount for the car Mike is driving. Im currently buying another munchkin that has recently come up for sale. What i am willing to do is LOAN you the car to enter this coming year free of charge. You can set it up as you like, or i will be more than willing to set it up for you. I understand by watching your car that you sometimes struggle with setups. Please let me know at your earliest convenience if you are interested. As a fellow car owner for two WoO teams, a USAC sprint team, And two silver crown teams i also understand the concern over the cost of open wheel racing. But rest assured, i'm not winning races with a 22yr old car because i spend more than everyone else. If you have paid any attention over the last 6yrs that i've owned the two cars, you would have noticed that any of the parts that we have replaced on the cars are over the counter parts that are available to anyone. Every year around this time everyone has to listen to you ***** about everyone's cars (or mine in particular). I love this sport and most of the people involved, but this has gone on long enough. So again, i will loan you a car next year if you would like. If not, then shut up once and for all and quit whining. Sincerely, Tony Stewart
Thank you Tony for putting the square tank on and giving me 30 minutes of free entertainment watching people complain about it. People need to realize that sometimes it's not just the car winning the races. But people need something to blame for getting beat so they turn to the technology or $$$ on the car. They just can't admit they got out-drove.
Next year you should run your car on Friday night, beat the guy. And then switch cars on Saturday, and best the guy again. Maybe then he will shut up.

Thanks again for the entertainment.

P.S. if your looking for a Rose-Hulman Mechanical engineering intern for next summer ....

Dustin Shoulders
Posted via Mobile Device
Roy Bleckert (Offline)
  #152 1/3/13 2:38 PM
Originally Posted by Joltin Joe:
Don, For the record all day on Friday I ran faster lap times then Tony...heck I qualified 2nd, over a ten of a second faster the Tony. Being i was faster Was I cheating also? I don't have the best car or new tires like everyone else did...all my team ( my wife and I)have is talent and the desire to Win.

It's to bad we broke on Friday night and didn't have enough parts to fix it for Saturday.

Posted via Mobile Device
The small size of the track equalizes things a lot

& peeps tend to psyche themselves out . Oh can't beat Stewart he's got to much $ he's to good etc.

Joltin Joes post sez to me If you show up you can out run anybody if you got your act together !
Wayne Davis (Offline)
  #153 1/3/13 2:46 PM
GOOD or BAD...man midget racing is getting it's due here on IOW...it even brought out "THE MAN" to post on here...Good post Don Moore....Midget racing loves all the love it can get and Tony B. is going CHING a Ching for next years race...LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Maybe this is what I need to do for my Florida deal!!!!

Southern Outlaw Motorsports
Jacksonville, Florida
The Original Southern Outlaw

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #154 1/3/13 3:14 PM
I'm still brushing off the rotten egg stains and dodging bullets after reading some of these posts. This thread has absulutely nothing to do with personalities. NOTHING! It has nothing to do with great race drivers or whether I walked around a pit area and looked at other cars! LOL After 150 some posts on here, the only person who demonstrated any kind of thoughtful and critical thinking about the subject is LEADERS EDGE and possibly one or two others along the way. Congratulations on writing something with substance without getting into personalities. You people would be laughed out of a debate team if you presented most of the stuff I'm reading on here.
Seadog (Offline)
  #155 1/3/13 3:25 PM
Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
I'm still brushing off the rotten egg stains and dodging bullets after reading some of these posts. This thread has absulutely nothing to do with personalities. NOTHING! It has nothing to do with great race drivers or whether I walked around a pit area and looked at other cars! LOL After 150 some posts on here, the only person who demonstrated any kind of thoughtful and critical thinking about the subject is LEADERS EDGE and possibly one or two others along the way. Congratulations on writing something with substance without getting into personalities. You people would be laughed out of a debate team if you presented most of the stuff I'm reading on here.
Let's stay on topic here. Oops, stole Mr. Moore's line, didn't I?
3 Likes: GasIt4, LRP36, racefan20
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #156 1/3/13 3:45 PM
How about a straight up car swap For the second of the two nights (Exact same setups) To see if he beats your driver in Your equipment?

Just a thought. Not meaning to insult anyone They both have my respect in their fields.

Charles Nungester
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #157 1/3/13 3:58 PM
Almost all of you have no idea what the topic actually is or don't want to know. When race teams go to a track to race, there usually are rules that have been already determined. The rules can also be called laws if you are in a court room. Someone at the track is in charge of enforcing those rules. In a court room that would be a judge. At a race track, it would be the promoter or race director or possibly, it could be nobody and there are situations like that or perhaps the promoter doesn't even want the racers to know or they play hard to find when there is a question about race procedure. As I stated before, when I go to a race track, I expect the rules that are in place to be enforced and if they are violated I expect penalties to be assigned to those people who violate the rules. Nothing different here than everyday life. If someone shoots you, I hope you don't want to hear from the judge that the person is being set free because they are a great marksman. If I have a question about the rules, and, say, a heat race lineup, I don't want to hear from the promoter how great a race driver is and therefore it's OK for him to be above the rules.
DAD (Offline)
  #158 1/3/13 4:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tony Stewart:
To Mr. Don Moore, I've raced at Ft. Wayne for a long time now and there is one thing that is very obvious. If you spent HALF as much time working on your car as you do ******** about mine, you might have a car that doesn't spin out 5 times per night. I will have my conventional tail tank back on for next years races. I didn't really like the way the new tank looked anyway but knew you would throw a fit over it like you do about everything on my car. I would love to know what else you are going to complain about so i have time to fix it before next years races as well. And for the record, I bought the car from Mike for 15k and the same amount for the car Mike is driving. Im currently buying another munchkin that has recently come up for sale. What i am willing to do is LOAN you the car to enter this coming year free of charge. You can set it up as you like, or i will be more than willing to set it up for you. I understand by watching your car that you sometimes struggle with setups. Please let me know at your earliest convenience if you are interested. As a fellow car owner for two WoO teams, a USAC sprint team, And two silver crown teams i also understand the concern over the cost of open wheel racing. But rest assured, i'm not winning races with a 22yr old car because i spend more than everyone else. If you have paid any attention over the last 6yrs that i've owned the two cars, you would have noticed that any of the parts that we have replaced on the cars are over the counter parts that are available to anyone. Every year around this time everyone has to listen to you ***** about everyone's cars (or mine in particular). I love this sport and most of the people involved, but this has gone on long enough. So again, i will loan you a car next year if you would like. If not, then shut up once and for all and quit whining. Sincerely, Tony Stewart

It all boils down to "RULES"!!

Good bad or indifferent racing does require rules to level the playing field, but as many well intentioned deeds do sometimes the leveling process make giant mountains. USAC is the eminent sanctioning body for open wheel racing in the USA. Because of that fact many groups look to USAC's rule book when starting an offshoot. Either taking them verbatim or only using a few passages to build their own set of rules. Although USAC is number one that does not make their rules the best. They have spent over 50 years filling this rule book up with rules as they go and very seldom deleting any of them. Many of these rules were put in just to cover one event or person that they saw as a problem to them or to open wheel racing in the past.

By choosing to use USAC rules organizers are saying that they do indeed agree with many of the out dated rules in the book which by now kinda of looks like the "New Testament"

To race we do need rules but do we need so many of them. The rules for a race division should include size of car "wheel base and tread", "maximum and minimum size
of wheel and tires","maximum and minimum weight","Displacement of power plant",and "minimum safety rules for construction of the car and driver protection".

I guess racing came about because people like to race and they then made up the excuse that it was really to develop and refine the automobile. I kinda of like using the latter but admit to falling prey to the former on several occasions.

USAC by having so many rules on the books are in the process of putting the low budget racer out of business. By stipulating the size shape and construction of the tail tank Don has to go out and pay$1600.00 for a tank when in fact because of the small number of laps he usually races he could get buy with a much smaller box shaped fuel cell, probably $400.00 and apply $1200.00 to his tire bill.

The modern progressive approach to racing is to make rules so stringent that in the near future all cars will be the same, much like NASCAR's "Car Of Tomorrow", 600 racing's "Legend Car" or even the old "IROC". When they do this all cars and parts will have to be bought from official licensed manufacture's who will in turn pay the sanctioning body a royalty. That doesn't sound less expensive to me.

Many years ago I was doing some graduate work toward my muffology degree at Ralph's Muffler University at the 16th St. Campus. Ralph was racing Midgets at that time and doing what Ralph does best, working on a new power plant for the Midgets. It was a V6 Chevy. He had already put quite a lot of time and money in that little motor and had gotten most of the bugs out of it. He went out and hired a young "R/C racer sensation" who was "moonlighting" as a race car driver to drive for him. That "V6" must have been a pretty good motor and that kid must have been a pretty good driver because they went out and turned the USAC midget division on it ear and won the Championship that first year out.

USAC must have figured it was the motor that made them so fast because they went about making and changing rules to take the edge away from the motor. That young driver went on to prove them wrong by going out the next year and winning all three divisions. The point is after USAC got done with their rule modifications that motor became obsolete over night.

The Munchkin is another good example where USAC made a very good race car vanish over night. It was not the prettiest car on the track. It did not have many of the off the shelf high teck racing parts on it, but for what it was designed to do it was the best there was. Those pictures a few pages back sure brought about many happy memories. If "FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION" that car was beautiful, every part had a job to do and if it did not need that part to win it was not there. But what the heck it made all those beautiful "Mother of Pearl" and "Candy Apple Red" midgets look like Dinosaurs so what to do get rid of the DARNED thing. Make a rule about the tail tank if that don't get it work on the chassis. All of these things are still on the books and a lot of racers do use these rules to move them selves up in the finish order.

Progressive thinking people feel that everything needs to be micro managed and rules should cover any and all possible outcomes to every event. This is a well intended but ill informed way to look at things.

Ask your self would racing be better if rules were not used to eliminate people and cars that brought forward good ideas. How can any person or for that matter any engineer sit down and handicap a race engine by the number of cylinders, valve arrangement,and or valve number. The best combination will always come to the top and the rest will fall by the way side.

Midgets are racing in the past about 50 years or so, and the reason for that is all of those "well intended" rules***or*** are there "other" reasons for having these rules still on the books.

What I think would really be neat is for Tony Stewart to show up in another outlawed car for the next years "RUMBLE". The Blue and Gold leaf Number 6 powered by the V6 Potter motor.

Honest Dad himself
3 Likes: are39, dirtflinger, Roy Bleckert
steve004 (Offline)
  #159 1/3/13 4:32 PM
More Tom Patterson and less Don Moore please. And did I just hear Geoff Kaiser got a nice ride for this summer? Congrats.
Lincoln Chapple (Offline)
  #160 1/3/13 4:48 PM
Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
Almost all of you have no idea what the topic actually is or don't want to know.
Well, I for one tried to read the thread in its entirety. I would get lost a few pages in and need to start at the beginning again. I have trouble paying attention sometimes. What I kept coming back to though is the fact that a D Moore post began with "rumor".

From one midget owner to another: Don, in todays midget "business", as you call it, sometimes you have to think outside the "box". Also, if you wouldn't buy new tires every year for this event you would have more grip. Lol.

If you want to make all the decisions on a particular event, pony up the cash and kahunas and have at it.

Oh, last thing...on the debate team. You had to be the kid that sometimes had valid points, but had everyone bashing their heads on the desk, not listening and wondering when it was over because of your presentation and off the wall comparisons.

I will have the son read me the rest of the pages tonight, look forward to the entertainment.

Posted via Mobile Device
5 Likes: GasIt4, Isaac Chapple Racing, JoyceGB14, LRP36, Midget4
Closed Thread