IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jim McGee on the state of Indy Car Racing
2/11/13, 1:26 PM   #1
Jim McGee on the state of Indy Car Racing
Gregg

He doesn't mince words either.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no371.html

2/11/13, 7:16 PM   #2
Re: Jim McGee on the state of Indy Car Racing
coxie bowman

AMEN BROTHER!!! After one reads the article, it's RIGHT ON with what should be done. ONLY THING, when the companies throw money at the series, then you become a prostitute ONLY TO KEEP THE SERIES GOING. If the series can pick out the good and STILL keep it's head above water to be able to CONTINUE, then it COULD POSSIBLE WORK, along with other adjustments. I'd like to meet with Mr. McGee and bring a few other constituients and have a round table discussion. It definately could be work out. THAT'S IF ANYONE WOULD LISTEN.

3 members like this post: DaveP63, openwheelKT, Roy Bleckert
2/11/13, 7:45 PM   #3
Bigrod55

I think Gordon is right on. To bad you have to compare to Nascar, but they do have a hugh market. And we need to get OFF the road courses, or at least most of them!

2 members like this post: cmakin, dirt330
2/12/13, 2:57 AM   #4
Roy Bleckert

I like what McGee said the only thing I would ad is put Du Quoin , Springfield , Indy Fairgrounds & the Big Cars Back on the Freaking Indy Car Schedule for Cryin Out Loud !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

6 members like this post: cecil98, DAD, dirt330, IndyBound, jdull99, racephoto1
2/12/13, 8:47 AM   #5
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Times change, but this seems pretty simple to me. Jim McGee has seen all the eras so he has seen it at its greatest. It seems simple to me. Build it, race it. If you build one of the fastest 33, you’re in the show. If you are one of the fastest 33 to wheel a car, you’re in the show.

Manufacturer backing works great in sports cars, doesn’t in IndyCar. All it does is keep people out….look at last year. Several drivers had $ to run, but couldn’t get an engine. Also, if you don’t have the budget to afford a lease (or their car), you can’t run. What if you could build an engine on your budget and compete (maybe not for a win, but be competitive)? Too bad, not how it works. Any race team in any series should be able to come to Indy and race if they are one of the fastest 33. Somewhere that concept was lost. The only thing that is somewhat saving things is the product on track is pretty good….just not enough people care.

The argument if you open it up is that all the big teams will out spend and win all the races. The big teams win about 90% of the races now so that really wouldn’t matter. It would give teams a chance to compete….or at least make the show…which for many back in the day was like a win.

2/12/13, 11:36 AM   #6
midgetmaniac

More AMERICAN DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to watch KL,BC,DG,DD at Indy. Is it any coincidece that the rise of Nascar coincided when our sprint and midget guys started going South. Yes , I want to see inovation at Indy. I've heard 1 old timer say they ought to go to midget engines at Indy? This would slow them down , but talk about innovation and creativity back in the game, that would do it.

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/12/13, 12:34 PM   #7
the_77H

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetmaniac View Post
More AMERICAN DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to watch KL,BC,DG,DD at Indy. Is it any coincidece that the rise of Nascar coincided when our sprint and midget guys started going South. Yes , I want to see inovation at Indy. I've heard 1 old timer say they ought to go to midget engines at Indy? This would slow them down , but talk about innovation and creativity back in the game, that would do it.
I agree, more American drivers could possibly bring the fans back. They need to stay off the road courses, F1 dominates the road courses and makes Indy Car unwatchable on them IMO.

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/12/13, 1:14 PM   #8
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

The idea that you are gonna see "big cars" in Indy car is absurd as someone telling me that the "used once a year dirt miles" are anything but a boring follow the leader train race.

It's 2013, think about it... it sounds as ridiculous as people who think Nascar should be running cars that came off a production line.

1 member likes this post:
2/12/13, 2:59 PM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
This McGee guy has been reading too much IOW. He makes sense. Indy Racing has turned into a super expensive GoKart rental track, just for rich people to race at. They don't ask if you are good or not just how much money is behind you.

Great minds think alike I guess.

Honest Dad himself

2/12/13, 3:08 PM   #10
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post
The idea that you are gonna see "big cars" in Indy car is absurd as someone telling me that the "used once a year dirt miles" are anything but a boring follow the leader train race.

It's 2013, think about it... it sounds as ridiculous as people who think Nascar should be running cars that came off a production line.
Did you ever watch the real champ cars race with the Offys and four cammer Fords and Foyt and Andretti and Jones. Those guys also raced at the brickyard I think. I was a lot younger then but boring would not be one of the adjectives I would use to describe a real Champ Car race.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jim McGee on the state of Indy Car Racing