IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Messing with Success
11/6/19, 11:09 PM   #1
Messing with Success
flagboy55

So a little different twist going into this winter’s version of the Chili Bowl. Both Kyle Larson and 3 time and defending champ Christopher Bell will race for teams other than the venerable KKM stable. Bell is set to run for Chad Boat and Larson in his own entry with Paul Silva overseeing the car. It’s obvious that both will still be competitive and in the mix for the Driller, but you almost have to wonder why? Anyway, in my mind, unless there’s more changes, it would leave Rico the favorite out of the KKM stable. However I hope it opens up an opportunity for a couple others to get a chance for one of the greatest teams ever in midget racing.

11/6/19, 11:34 PM   #2
Re: Messing with Success
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Larson's already run his own car at CB and it blew up. It was maintained by KKR. If I remember right, But the actual car was father and son owned 2018 version of CB

If my memory is correct.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, TKRacing
11/6/19, 11:47 PM   #3
jonboat15

Its just a money thing, Larson and Bell can afford their own equipment and workers. KKM is a renta ride/development deal just like some of the other national midget teams. If you got the money and talent why not run your own stuff?

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, LocalYokel, luckybuc97
11/7/19, 5:42 AM   #4
LocalYokel

Well where does the magic come from? The driver or the mechanic? Keith is certianly a good mechanic and knows how to set up the cars for the Chili Bowl. But there isn’t a magic screw that only Keith knows how to twist. Everyone has pretty much the same equipment these days. Only so much you can adjust on a dirt midget. Gotta remember that some drivers for KKM couldn’t make the A in the Chili Bowl even if they had a lap head start in their Prelim Feature.
I guess we’ll have to wait and see. C Bell won the Outlaws show at Haubstat in his own car not too long ago. Joe Gaerte is Larsons crew chief for the Outlaw team, would assume he’ll be assisting at the Chili Bowl. Not a bad guy to have on the payroll. I think Keith, Bell, and Larson will all do just fine.
Why split up and mess with success? I’d guess money has more than a little to do with it.
Last edited by LocalYokel; 11/7/19 at 5:45 AM.

11/7/19, 11:45 AM   #5
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Larson's already run his own car at CB and it blew up. It was maintained by KKR. If I remember right, But the actual car was father and son owned 2018 version of CB

If my memory is correct.
This did happen, but I don't think it happened the way you stated. The car was a KKM car from their stable, prepped in their garage, and pitted with their group. The Larson's were listed as owners, but it was a KKM car. Who paid for the car or got to take the car home would be the only difference.

This year, the car will be owned by Larson, prepped by Paul Silva, and pitted out of their own pits.

CBell will be driving a car from the Chad Boat stable. Apparently, they are good friends and like to do things like this. Chad helped build CBell's WOO ride.

1 member likes this post: EZ04
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Messing with Success